First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 8:51pm

Post #101 of 371 (11572 views)
Shortcut
Everyone is freaking out [In reply to] Can't Post

about the box art...
But I'd be willing to bet that the horrible picture of Bilbo on the front is just a 3D gimmick thing and comes off to reveal a classy front without any photos...and very similar to the LOTR EEs....you just wait.
The discs on the inside look just like the LOTR EEs...the special features are just like the LOTR EEs...and the box even looks pretty similar (without the hideous photo of course)...
Oh ye of little faith

DjU
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 9:01pm

Post #102 of 371 (11428 views)
Shortcut
shooting length [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but the shooting for this movie seems to be eclipsing that of LOTR, so how come we're getting shorter films? I mean, it's obvious there's less "material" to work with (not so if they had shot 'the Hunt for Gollum' *hint, hint*) but it borders on lunacy to me that shorter films require more shooting days than the original trilogy.

Whilst the filming DAYS of the two trilogies are more or less similar [Principal Filming for Hobbit is a week or so longer than LotR, however LotR had three reasonable blocks of pickups Vs the 10 or so solid weeks for the Hobbit, so LotR likely overtakes the Hobbit there]

All that taken into account I'm still not sure the actual MAN HOURS of filming is actually any longer on the Hobbit.

Don't forget from what we have seen The Hobbit seems to a much more rigid and 'professional' shooting regime, as befitting a large studio blockbuster. They had a first unit (PJ) and a second unit (Andy Serkis / Christian Rivers during pickups) there seems to be less dependence on 3rd or even 4th units (they may have happened though)

However as the LotR Appendices quite clearly showed that in showing that at some points of production they regularly had a 3rd and 4th unit running and on some hectic days even a 5/6 units filming. It was very much a big budget 'independent' shoot :)

I reckon that had they filmed the LotR in the same manner as The Hobbit they could have easily been filming for another 100 days.

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 9:09pm

Post #103 of 371 (11451 views)
Shortcut
I'd be happy if that's the case [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not going to assume it will happen since I'm trying to keep my expectations low to avoid disappointment. Tongue

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

DjU
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 9:12pm

Post #104 of 371 (11463 views)
Shortcut
cover art [In reply to] Can't Post

Of the Three covers (Blu Ray, 3D Blu Ray and DVD) I think the 5 disc DVD set has the best cover.

Aint It Cool is the only place I've seen showing the DVD cover so far;
http://www.aintitcool.com/...tm_campaign=1307_RSS

One thing I've not yet seen confirmed anywhere yet is what is the 5th DVD for. Do the Appendices need a 3rd disc compared to the LotR sets or is a extra unmentioned bonus like 'The Hobbit: A Hobbit's Tale Part 1' which was a BluRay Theatrical exclusive

If the LotR EE are a template then
Disc 1 & 2 The Movie
Disc 3 & 4 The Appendices

Disc 5 ?

(This post was edited by DjU on Jul 31 2013, 9:12pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 9:18pm

Post #105 of 371 (11463 views)
Shortcut
*hops into thread, jumps back out* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm happy! I'm of a similar opinion of a previous poster, who spoke of not thinking the ROTK EE has very good quality additional scenes (some yes, some no. Shocking lol). I always love seeing as much ME as possible, but I don't usually seek out that EE. I watch all of them, don't get me wrong. But, I don't see my thoughts on those scenes that as a fault of PJ. I don't believe my personal opinion of the film's quality is reflective of the director's motivations behind the film. They just don't sit as well with me as the TE. But the TE set quite a high bar.

Regardless, I'm glad to see the announcement. Only about 4 1/2 months until DOS!

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 9:18pm

Post #106 of 371 (11462 views)
Shortcut
Disc 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Is most likely an Ultraviolet disc, which allows you to access a digital copy of the movie to watch on a computer or other device. Wink

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 9:40pm

Post #107 of 371 (11476 views)
Shortcut
this is quite shocking and it makes me angry, [In reply to] Can't Post

its hard to understand why anyone would pay for an extra dvd for a mere 13 extra minutes, most of it seemingly more made up stuff. A tiny scene with Elrond just doesnt cut it. I think its daylight robbery.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 9:46pm

Post #108 of 371 (11419 views)
Shortcut
I worry about people buying [In reply to] Can't Post

2 versions one with an extra 13 minutes of doubtful value. Its mind boggling how they have the nerve.

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 9:51pm

Post #109 of 371 (11445 views)
Shortcut
let me spell it out [In reply to] Can't Post

we are being suckered into parting with cash to pay for 2 versions, one of them being a ridiculous 13 minutes longer. its more than disappointing its criminal.

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 9:53pm

Post #110 of 371 (11434 views)
Shortcut
!3 extra minutes of film, AND..... [In reply to] Can't Post

...9 hours of behind the scenes/ documentary material. That's a whole lot extra - isn't it?

Besides, what is there to be angry about? No one will be forced to buy. For myself, I enjoy the background material as much as the film so I'm happy to see there will be so much.

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 9:55pm

Post #111 of 371 (11419 views)
Shortcut
I am sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

do you live under a government that is taking your money and forcing you to take the EE?
That is robbery.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 9:57pm

Post #112 of 371 (11409 views)
Shortcut
I remember paying quite a bit of cash for those extended editions [In reply to] Can't Post

and two of them with statues.

Not this time around im afraid. Not until i get a better look at what constitutes this suplementary edition....

A tidy sum of money for 13 somewhat unimpressive minutes- which will probably end up on youtube anyway-, plus hours of jackson and boyens yapping away and some good documentaries doesnt quite rank highly in my current ART Expenses priority list.Wink

Also, who doesnt expect a Middle Earth Bluray combo pack Final Edition in 2016? Angelic

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 9:59pm

Post #113 of 371 (11370 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts too [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...9 hours of behind the scenes/ documentary material. That's a whole lot extra - isn't it?

Besides, what is there to be angry about? No one will be forced to buy. For myself, I enjoy the background material as much as the film so I'm happy to see there will be so much.

Lots of bonus marerial plus the commentary. Hopefully Pete and Boyens reveal their ways, I see the third leg of the triumvirate dropped out. If most of the extra footage is as good as the Rivendale scene, I'll be happy.

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 10:09pm

Post #114 of 371 (11356 views)
Shortcut
You bought the film on DVD/Bluray [In reply to] Can't Post

which is 2 hours and 49 minutes long (some editions came with 2 hours worth of production videos). You then complain that you have to pay the same again for the film which is now 3 hours and 2 minutes long as well as NINE hours of behind the scenes? Based on your logic the theatrical edition is robbing you blind! On another note I am sure that those 13 extra minutes will be as amazing as the Elrond and Bilbo scene!

I simply walked into Mordor.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 10:22pm

Post #115 of 371 (11315 views)
Shortcut
I didnt say i bought the dvd did i? [In reply to] Can't Post

I didnt. And i wouldnt since i dont enjoy it enough to spend my money on it. I might pay for the EEdition...if its worth it ... From what i see, which is very little, yes i admit , it doenst make me go : Ooooohhh 28 Minutes of extra footage with pivotal scenes, now thats something i need to own!

I take it youre security that they will be amazing is based on your love for the film. As i find it often atrocious and disappointing, overall, i cant put my hand on the fire for these new 13 minutes.

I found the scene to be ok...its obviously just a bit from a larger moment, but i wouldnt say its amazing.

The insistence on constant insertion of music from 10 years ago rather than new stuff, is yet another disappointment. I had hoped that the EEdition might show us more of the other unused themes. One can have too much of something. In this case, im tired of hearing the same thing.

As an absolute lover of film soundtracks TH's movie use of it is one of the most unexpected flaws, for me.Unsure

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 31 2013, 10:36pm

Post #116 of 371 (11355 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

There's an old joke - um... two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of 'em says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know; and such small portions."
-Annie Hall (1977)

The audacious proposal stirred his heart. And the stirring became a song, and it mingled with the songs of Gil-galad and Celebrian, and with those of Feanor and Fingon. The song-weaving created a larger song, and then another, until suddenly it was as if a long forgotten memory woke and for one breathtaking moment the Music of the Ainur revealed itself in all glory. He opened his lips to sing and share this song. Then he realized that the others would not understand. Not even Mithrandir given his current state of mind. So he smiled and simply said "A diversion.”

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jul 31 2013, 10:38pm)

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 10:39pm

Post #117 of 371 (11282 views)
Shortcut
talking of extra bits [In reply to] Can't Post

I was totally underwhelmed and bemused by the Elrond Bilbo moment. It struck me as being false, Freeman looked obviously like he was on his knees, and the dialogue was off, Elrond didnt look Elven he just seemed like some very tall bloke talking to Martin Freeman. weird. Unimpressed

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 10:39pm

Post #118 of 371 (11316 views)
Shortcut
Thats pretty much [In reply to] Can't Post

how i feel my life is at the moment.Wink

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 10:41pm

Post #119 of 371 (11267 views)
Shortcut
You're one of the few people here that didn't buy the [In reply to] Can't Post

theatrical then! I definitely think that if you want to get a version of the film you should get the extended or if you don't like the film at all then just don't buy it? I do agree that they should have created more soundtracks because I would have really enjoyed lots of different variations of the shire and rivendell themes Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 10:48pm

Post #120 of 371 (11260 views)
Shortcut
maybe i am ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I refuse to sell!Wink

I just dont like being constantly hit in the head with the ....ok bilbo hobbit moment : tananaaaa naaaaa nana naaaaann...Shire themes from lotr

Dwarves : papapaaaaaaann papannn pana nanaaaaaann misty mountains ad nauseum...

I feel TH film needs more new, innovative, fresh, music , not the old stuff. On that we agree.

Oh i intended to buy the extended...i hoped it would improve a little my enjoyment of the middle and final sections of the film...Now, im a little less hopefull. If there isnt much that i consider worth it, i wont buy it.

I wish we could get a list of the exact extended and new scenes we will get. That would leave me a little more at ease.

Eleanorflower . You too? I thought it was just my mind but i felt it was abit off as well...the line delivery...bit forced...."the dialogue was off"

I have only seen it twice so far.

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jul 31 2013, 10:50pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Jul 31 2013, 11:00pm

Post #121 of 371 (11269 views)
Shortcut
Entire sub-thread deleted [In reply to] Can't Post

Please, let's keep on-topic and post about what's being said, not the motives or mental health of those saying it. Any more comments along those lines will be deleted and warnings and/or bans may occur.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 11:18pm

Post #122 of 371 (11216 views)
Shortcut
I think NL/WB have handled the DVD releases well [In reply to] Can't Post

They've been open from the beginning that there would be an extended version coming, so there's really no excuse for buying the theatrical edition expecting to get something else. And if the EE doesn't pique your interest, the theatrical cut is still there on the shelf next to it. I can't imagine many people actually buy both editions unless they really want to since information about the difference between the two editions is readily available. Smile

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 11:23pm

Post #123 of 371 (11240 views)
Shortcut
This really stinks of marketing and greed to me. Why? Because a 2:45 minute film can afford 13 minutes of additional footage, [In reply to] Can't Post

Thus obviating the need for an extended anything. Most of what was in the extended Fellowship should have been in the theatrical because it was THAT good and that much of an improvement.

If this is good footage, and the Elrond clip is, though he is a little too sour faced, it should have just been put in the movie.

In Reply To
Is this right:

- 13 minutes extra footage (LotR movies were 30, 42, and 50).

- 1 commentary track (LotR movies had 4 each)

I like the idea of 9 hours of bonus footage. I just hope the "9 hours" does not include the commentary track, the vlogs (which we already have), and all those promotional interviews, featurettes, reels, and TV spots we've already seen.

13 minutes.

Sigh.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 11:32pm

Post #124 of 371 (11232 views)
Shortcut
,,, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Is this right:

- 13 minutes extra footage (LotR movies were 30, 42, and 50).

The plan was 2 Hobbit films.

They are instead giving us 3 Hobbit films.

That is why you aren't getting 30-50 minutes of extra footage in this Extended Edition. A lot of that extra footage was used to stretch this story into 3 films.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 11:38pm

Post #125 of 371 (11225 views)
Shortcut
.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
we are being suckered into parting with cash to pay for 2 versions, one of them being a ridiculous 13 minutes longer. its more than disappointing its criminal.

Speak for yourself.

I only bought one version of LoTR, the extended editions. I'll only be buying one version of The Hobbit.

If anyone buys two versions and feels like a sucker about it, then that person should be angry at himself.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.