Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rivendell Moss

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 4:52pm

Post #1 of 15 (1320 views)
Shortcut
Rivendell Moss Can't Post

So I have finally persuaded my less geeky sister to read The Hobbit. She has just finished chapter three (and was very amused by the 'Trall-la-la-lally' Elves - she even came up with a tune to that song so she can sing it and get the words stuck in my head!! Tricksy hobbitses!).

Anyway, she noted how in the book Gandalf was looking for the moss on the stones to find his way to Rivendell, and made the connection I had never thought of. Remember how, in the movie, when the Dwarves are going through the small secret passage/chasm to Rivendell, and Bombur pauses to grab at a bit of moss (possibly wondering if it's edible) before Bifur shoves him along? She thought that might be a nod to the moss on the stones to Rivendell.

Has this idea occurred to anyone else, or does anyone think it is resaonable? Thoughts? Any sudden urges to go rewatch AUJ and look for moss on all the stones Gandalf and the Company run past on their way to the secret passage?? Cool

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 5:56pm

Post #2 of 15 (545 views)
Shortcut
Nice connection!!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Silwen_Peredhil
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 6:13pm

Post #3 of 15 (583 views)
Shortcut
This had not occurred to me before [In reply to] Can't Post

I love anything in the film that nods towards what was written in the book. (I especially enjoyed scenes like that in LOTR.)

What's this? A Ranger caught off his guard?

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 6:21pm

Post #4 of 15 (560 views)
Shortcut
Very observant! [In reply to] Can't Post

She's picked up a reference in seemingly no time that an avid fan of over ten years would never have thought of! Smile

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

jtarkey
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 8:29pm

Post #5 of 15 (509 views)
Shortcut
"This had not occured to us Dude" [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 9:18pm

Post #6 of 15 (510 views)
Shortcut
Bomby still says the Foreground Rock moves [In reply to] Can't Post

As Gandalf opens the secret passage...
Look closely or pause your Copy
& there is an ODD sound as this opens.

Then he Yells "This WAY"

So you tell me..Bomby is Not seeing things..

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 12:56am

Post #7 of 15 (370 views)
Shortcut
Didn't even notice that! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm usually observant. I don't see why it wouldn't be a nod to the novel, it's too much of a coincidence.

Nira
Lorien

Aug 1 2013, 4:04am

Post #8 of 15 (354 views)
Shortcut
Is everything connected? [In reply to] Can't Post

This makes me wonder how many other seemingly small/unimportant moments on screen are connected to the book. What else have we missed?

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Bombadil
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 4:24am

Post #9 of 15 (321 views)
Shortcut
Sooo..Many Homages, soo Ltle TIME?/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 8:19pm

Post #10 of 15 (246 views)
Shortcut
I've heard it, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought it was just a musical cue on the soundtrack, a sort of magical, "Tada!" to indicate to the audience that this is a special rock. I hadn't noticed the rock moving, though...

Perhaps there is some sort of Elven-magic to keep the passage hidden, and Gandalf has to speak a word to open it just as he does at Moria? After all, he does say there in the book that he once knew all the words used for the purposes of opening doors in all the languages spoken in the West of Middle-earth, so surely *somebody* other than Dwarves had passwords on their magic passageways!!

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 2 2013, 4:06pm

Post #11 of 15 (177 views)
Shortcut
Whoa... a little bird told me you had a good Geeky Ob going on here :) [In reply to] Can't Post

WAY COOL!

I've been working on the DOS Geeky List and updated the AUJ List, so this is perfect timing!

WELL DONE and GREAT EYE! :D

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Aug 2 2013, 5:41pm

Post #12 of 15 (173 views)
Shortcut
Darn it WS! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had taken today off to get some work done around the house and now I'm going to have to go watch AUJ. Back in 3 hours...

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

DjU
Lorien

Aug 2 2013, 6:11pm

Post #13 of 15 (148 views)
Shortcut
Don't think it does move. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the Rock moves, it looks much more like it might be a Dolly Zoom (Push/Pull) that would obviously make the rock look like its moving when Gandalf is stood still.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 2 2013, 8:36pm

Post #14 of 15 (141 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool Personally, I love any excuse to watch AUJ over again. But you should really blame my sister. It was really an amazing moment of geekery on her part.

...I just now, very randomly, thought of something. You know how Bofur's one line of dialogue in the book is (as far as I can recall) in Beorn's house, where he advises Bilbo to get up and eat something before it's all gone? What if they based Bofur's friendly personality on that one line of being helpful, in his own almost trolling way, to Bilbo??

Mind blown.

Now I've done it to myself!!!

*scurries off to go watch AUJ again, see you all again in 3 hours*

burgahobbit
Rohan

Aug 3 2013, 5:39pm

Post #15 of 15 (129 views)
Shortcut
Two homages [In reply to] Can't Post

I've noticed these two. I'm not sure about the first but the second is certainly one.

1. When the company is escaping the wargs in the book, they slide down a rocky slope that collapses under their feet until they can grab onto trees at the bottom. In the movie, in the first warg chase, they slide down a long slope. Unfortunately they didn't go all the way and have them start a mini-avalance but I still think it was somewhat of a homage. Something else that's interesting (if I remember "The History of the Hobbit" by John D. Rateliff correctly) is that this little episode was inspired by Tolkien's own adventure in Switzerland.
2. "My arms, my poor arms!" Again, they don't go all the way and make it like the book was, but the visual image is there. In the book: Dori is grabbed by an eagle and Bilbo grabs onto his feet yelling, "My arms, my poor arms!" As Dori yells, "My leg, my poor legs!" In the movie, Dori is holding onto Gandalf's staff as Ori holds onto his leg. I think Ori is kind of the substitute Bilbo when the latter is occupied with something else. Tongue

"I don't mean to be blunt but I felt I had to speak my mind, I'm sorry." - Bilbo Baggins.
"Apology accepted." - Balin.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.