Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Rivendell Moss

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 4:52pm

Views: 1313
Shortcut
Rivendell Moss Can't Post

So I have finally persuaded my less geeky sister to read The Hobbit. She has just finished chapter three (and was very amused by the 'Trall-la-la-lally' Elves - she even came up with a tune to that song so she can sing it and get the words stuck in my head!! Tricksy hobbitses!).

Anyway, she noted how in the book Gandalf was looking for the moss on the stones to find his way to Rivendell, and made the connection I had never thought of. Remember how, in the movie, when the Dwarves are going through the small secret passage/chasm to Rivendell, and Bombur pauses to grab at a bit of moss (possibly wondering if it's edible) before Bifur shoves him along? She thought that might be a nod to the moss on the stones to Rivendell.

Has this idea occurred to anyone else, or does anyone think it is resaonable? Thoughts? Any sudden urges to go rewatch AUJ and look for moss on all the stones Gandalf and the Company run past on their way to the secret passage?? Cool

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Subject User Time
Rivendell Moss Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Jul 31 2013, 4:52pm
    Nice connection!!!! // Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 31 2013, 5:56pm
    This had not occurred to me before Silwen_Peredhil Send a private message to Silwen_Peredhil Jul 31 2013, 6:13pm
        "This had not occured to us Dude" jtarkey Send a private message to jtarkey Jul 31 2013, 8:29pm
            Bomby still says the Foreground Rock moves Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Jul 31 2013, 9:18pm
                I've heard it, too. Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Aug 1 2013, 8:19pm
                    Don't think it does move. DjU Send a private message to DjU Aug 2 2013, 6:11pm
    Very observant! Radagast-Aiwendil Send a private message to Radagast-Aiwendil Jul 31 2013, 6:21pm
    Didn't even notice that! Ziggy Stardust Send a private message to Ziggy Stardust Aug 1 2013, 12:56am
    Is everything connected? Nira Send a private message to Nira Aug 1 2013, 4:04am
        Sooo..Many Homages, soo Ltle TIME?/// Bombadil Send a private message to Bombadil Aug 1 2013, 4:24am
        Two homages burgahobbit Send a private message to burgahobbit Aug 3 2013, 5:39pm
    Whoa... a little bird told me you had a good Geeky Ob going on here :) grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Aug 2 2013, 4:06pm
    Darn it WS! Ham_Sammy Send a private message to Ham_Sammy Aug 2 2013, 5:41pm
        You're welcome!! Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Aug 2 2013, 8:36pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.