The SLIGHTLY Extended Edition
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

nhui06
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 3:23pm

Post #76 of 371 (10907 views)
Shortcut
Good find [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah 13 minutes seem a bit short, but I have a feeling (as seem here have already mentioned), that they tried to stretch AUJ when they announced 3 films, so there were probably a few previously planned deleted scenes already added to the theatrical version.

Also, I remember from the LOTR docs that quite a few of the scenes they did in the pick ups were added to the extended version, so maybe DOS and TABA will have a longer EE.

None the less, we LOTR/Hobbit fans are spoiled, as most movies only have 2-3 minutes extra deleted scenes, and here we are sad about 13?

sycorax82
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 3:24pm

Post #77 of 371 (10896 views)
Shortcut
AUJ we basically had the EE in cinemas [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember, AUJ was originally going right up to the barrels. This is why there's not much left to show for the actual EE.

I don't think there's gonna be any surprises, but PJ may well have done slightly different edits on existing scenes, which would be welcome.

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 3:31pm

Post #78 of 371 (10873 views)
Shortcut
Keep in mind [In reply to] Can't Post

There is most likely going to be some kind of trilogy box with all 3 extended editions inside them, similar to this one. Who knows, maybe they will add extra commentary tracks on that aswell?

Although this isn't a reason why you should buy the AUJ EE, it may give you hope for the future.

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 4:19pm

Post #79 of 371 (10831 views)
Shortcut
Cheapo Warners [In reply to] Can't Post

...would never remaster preexisting discs. So a trilogy box would be just a repack, as always.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 4:23pm

Post #80 of 371 (10920 views)
Shortcut
Strictly speaking for the length of the new footage [In reply to] Can't Post

13 minutes is disappointing.

Didnt jackson say between 20-30 minutes to harry knowles?

A few days ago i was saying to myself i better find out whats in the extended version before i actually buy it....no love case this time round so...

And now this comes...

I dont know if its even worth my money...

13 minutes sounds more like a few cut scenes from the deleted scenes menu shoved in the movie than a real Extended Cut , such as LOTR s or Kingdom of Heavens which gave them a new life and feel and at least to me, stand out as different films.

Market scene, arrow and gems in the prologue, young bilbo, dwarves doing gymnastics and annoying the elves, bofur singing, bilbo finding narsil and this little scene with elrond, goblin king singing, more goblin town toilet humour or action?

Meh, was expecting more than this.

Did we get a complete list of the new scenes before the Lotr extended editions were available?

Vous commencez à m'ennuyer avec le port!!!

(This post was edited by Lusitano on Jul 31 2013, 4:24pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 4:41pm

Post #81 of 371 (10892 views)
Shortcut
The plot thickens? [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently Jed Brophy said at HobbitCon that they had already recorded some of the commentary of the extended edition?!

http://ohnotheydidnt.livejournal.com/...html?page=1#comments

Pousette
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 4:59pm

Post #82 of 371 (10848 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, sadly, sadly, sadly... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to agree with you.

The conditions were GREAT, I mean - with Martin Freeman as the hobbit (Armitage, Stott, probably Cumberbatch and pretty much everyone else), and a Weta which has continued to flourish and thrive for the ten years since RotK.

Sooooo so so so sad to see WB (we have to blame them in the end, I honestly don't think even PJ has a lot to say these days) completely misunderstand this world, the established brand, and Tolkien fandom in general.

PJ, Fran and Phil might have something to do with the dwarven slapstick, and definitely with the overload of computer enhanced fighting scenes, but still I'd bet WB is to blame for the overall shallow feeling of the theatrical cut.

Nira
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 4:59pm

Post #83 of 371 (10816 views)
Shortcut
I really wanted some kind of cast commentary :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he was confusing audio commentary with interview-type commentary for the documentary sections?

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 5:08pm

Post #84 of 371 (10844 views)
Shortcut
Catched this [In reply to] Can't Post

"Chapters include:

Azog the Defiler "

His very own doc/featurette! Cant wait to hear the writers explain why tolkiens writing was ditched in favour of this Middle Earth version of an 80's Shwarzenegger.

I 'll be back , Thorin son of Thrain.

Next, well see him in LA at the walk of fame.

ARRGHN!

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 5:12pm

Post #85 of 371 (10786 views)
Shortcut
I think we've seen this [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect it will be that featurette on the Azog effects process that came out around February. There were ones on other CGI characters also.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 31 2013, 5:16pm

Post #86 of 371 (10765 views)
Shortcut
Only thing that disappoints me is that it's downloadable two weeks before the blu-ray release [In reply to] Can't Post

But I guess that means we'll know whether it's worth buying or not, two weeks in advance.

Pipe Dream
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 5:19pm

Post #87 of 371 (10768 views)
Shortcut
I think you nailed it on the head. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's probably shorter because they moved the stuff with Thrain and Gandalf to DoS, I think.

The rest of the "extended footage" made it's way onto TDOS to comprise a third movie. I'm okay with it now that I'm over the initial shock of so short of an extension. I love the new Bilbo/Elrond scene, but now that's one less minute of new we get to experience.

"There is a long road yet," said Gandalf. "But it is the last road," said Bilbo.

Lusitano
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 5:21pm

Post #88 of 371 (10765 views)
Shortcut
could be, but i would love to hear the writers discuss him [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

When azog shows up i react like this at 128 minutes :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8AJdfzCw3U

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 5:48pm

Post #89 of 371 (10754 views)
Shortcut
Shagrat...Agreed, Bomby used to shoot TV NEWS [In reply to] Can't Post

and a LOT gets covered in 13 minutes
in any News Cast...
Mostly it has to have a real Flow...
w/Howard's Music.

IT a surprise since we were expecting 23 minutes?
BUT,Bomby is gunna go with THIS!
Currently 13 minutes but MAYBE?
some of what they just shot is Short
Pick-ups from AUJ, TOO!

Don't be TOO surprized if the reporting on this becomes
OUT-OF-Date in the Next 3 Months.
PJ is ALWAYS Tweaking up to Last minute...
...It's his style to add, until the print is send
to Disc-makers around the World in October.

Also, any Reporter often gets it Wrong
since, Bomby witnessed this way too many times..
First Hand.

Do you Believe Everything you read?, Don't...

Olorin2607
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 5:55pm

Post #90 of 371 (10734 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that is really just wishful thinking. It will be 13 minutes.
But I really am happy it is not more.
As it means less opportunity to cram in crappy scenes.
Although the Bilbo/Elrond Scene is nice, the new goblin kIng things could very well be utter trash.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 6:01pm

Post #91 of 371 (10750 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately it can't be any longer [In reply to] Can't Post

Since the MPAA have already seen and rated the extended version. They'd have to re-submit it otherwise, and I can't see that happening.

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 6:01pm

Post #92 of 371 (10743 views)
Shortcut
You make me feel better! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink ... that sounds most encouraging, I almost forgot about the High Fells sequence being in DoS now - phew!

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 31 2013, 6:03pm)

FrodoEyes
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 6:24pm

Post #93 of 371 (10744 views)
Shortcut
Just goes to show... [In reply to] Can't Post

That the film that we saw was near enough an extended edition anyway, especially after the change from 2 to 3 movies

'I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.'
'So do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.'

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 6:53pm

Post #94 of 371 (10755 views)
Shortcut
I'm REALLY disappointed... [In reply to] Can't Post

Only 13 minutes... Dunno what happened to the other 10 minutes... Such a bummer... Frown

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 7:51pm

Post #95 of 371 (10629 views)
Shortcut
adapt? [In reply to] Can't Post

To what? A franchise that's much more guaranteed to be successful than the completely untested ground that was LOTR. I don't buy an 'adapt' argument at all. You see the way people throw $$$ at movies these days? Every week a new box office record is set.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 7:57pm

Post #96 of 371 (10627 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone in a given field of filmmaking would enjoy having a commentary aimed closer to their interests. Sad to say, but this time around I'm least interested in what PJ and PB have to say because they've had the most talking time thus far and I'm kinda still mad that they've yet to acknowledge the changes in ROTK regarding Gandalf vs WiKi. They talked about every little change elsewhere, but when it came to that...*crickets*
I dunno. If they were gonna choose one commentary I would think a cast one would be the most fun.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 7:59pm

Post #97 of 371 (10611 views)
Shortcut
then again you're probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah. Now that I think about it (3 seconds later) the numbers are probably small for that kind of thing. However I don't see a need to change the precedence set.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 8:08pm

Post #98 of 371 (10605 views)
Shortcut
true [In reply to] Can't Post

but the shooting for this movie seems to be eclipsing that of LOTR, so how come we're getting shorter films? I mean, it's obvious there's less "material" to work with (not so if they had shot 'the Hunt for Gollum' *hint, hint*) but it borders on lunacy to me that shorter films require more shooting days than the original trilogy.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 8:19pm

Post #99 of 371 (10602 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't the King Kong shoot longer than the LOTR shoot? [In reply to] Can't Post

Also I think scheduling-wise The Hobbit has been much more convoluted.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

(This post was edited by There&ThereAgain on Jul 31 2013, 8:19pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 8:39pm

Post #100 of 371 (10593 views)
Shortcut
What about, the Kiwi Dwarves? [In reply to] Can't Post

Since, the British, Scottish, Irish, Aussie ones are already back Home and probably on other projects?
So, maybe Dean (Fili) Graham (Dwalin), etc. could still do Cast Commentary once the FinalCUT is in the Can.

It would probably be expensive
unless they Skype it in?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.