First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Danielos
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 1:04pm

Post #51 of 371 (10576 views)
Shortcut
Two alternatives [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it depends on:

1) PJ is satisfied with the EE as it is.

or:

2) WB donīt want to pay for more post-production on extended scenes since they cost too much on a dwindling market.

If itīs alternative two, Iīm disappointed.

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 1:04pm

Post #52 of 371 (10699 views)
Shortcut
The "Missing Ten Minutes" [In reply to] Can't Post

Could also turn up in Dos, surely? For all we know stuff like the Ringwraith tombs scene was originally planned for the AUJ:EE and Jackson as since moved it to Dos. There could be a good handful of scenes like that which could have gone into one or the other.

The shaping of these films is a lot more fluid than it was for LOTR so it makes sense that bits of the trilogy might swap and change between films depending on where Jackson feels suit them better.

Grant
The Shire

Jul 31 2013, 1:06pm

Post #53 of 371 (10533 views)
Shortcut
sounds mostly reasonable [In reply to] Can't Post

The video blogs and promotional stuff was on the last release. I doubt they will put it on this one.

13 minutes seems okay to me. The movie already plays like an extended edition (I say it's 30-40 minutes too long for a theatrical release) The only scene that feels truly necessary is the Elrond scene on Yahoo.

1 commentary track is disappointing but I kind of feel like there was a lot of overlap in information from the documentaries I'm the previous extended edition, a seperate cast commentary would be nice.

Special edition releases are becoming a rarity with new films these days.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 1:07pm

Post #54 of 371 (10528 views)
Shortcut
Me, too... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a shame if that is the case...I'd rather have had all the character development scenes in the TE and then have had the choice whether or not to buy 13 mins of extra "epic" CGI action... Angelic

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ŋ Victoria Monfort

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 1:09pm

Post #55 of 371 (10545 views)
Shortcut
This is true [In reply to] Can't Post

If there were going to be extensions to the Azanulbizar sequence say, like Azog carving his name into Thror's head, they could use this to form part of Thrain's flashback in DoS.

AlatarVinyamar
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 1:10pm

Post #56 of 371 (10530 views)
Shortcut
The eternal optimist strikes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe there is 20-25 minutes of new footage and they trimmed 12 minutes of warg chase and Goblintown to make room for it! :)

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 1:10pm

Post #57 of 371 (10578 views)
Shortcut
Holy extended edition, [In reply to] Can't Post

Batman! Very cool, 'cept the packaging, barf. Price of 35 is decent with me, I am surprised it's coming out on dvd - that'll be 2 discs for sure.

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 1:16pm

Post #58 of 371 (10611 views)
Shortcut
I've noticed a couple sources of disappointment and some puzzling comments as well. [In reply to] Can't Post

• Differing expectations of length, pacing, characterization, and detail (sometimes even varying within a single person's comments over time) that make it impossible to really give everyone precisely what they wanted or expected to see
  • Disappointment that TH isn't LotR or doesn't match the feeling gotten by LotR 10 years ago when the world was a slightly different place and they were slightly different people
  • Comparison with other movies, especially Star Wars and GoT - and expectations related to those movies filtering perceptions of AUJ

I think this EE sounds like something I would buy and enjoy, nonetheless. If I didn't think so, I just wouldn't buy it. I see no need to try to convince people one way or another.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 1:28pm

Post #59 of 371 (10529 views)
Shortcut
Bummer about the commentaries [In reply to] Can't Post

We kinda already know what PJ and PB have to say about the project. Would rather hear from the rest of the production team. And how very odd, no dwarven commentary track. I'd imagine that would be quite fun to hear. I mean, I'm sure everyone is busy...but I'm also sure they were busier during LOTR (which had much more at stake) and they still rounded everyone up for commentaries. And, my man Howard Shore is totally MIA for this project. What a shame.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 1:30pm

Post #60 of 371 (10548 views)
Shortcut
It's prolly shorter because [In reply to] Can't Post

they moved the stuff with Thrain and Gandalf to DoS, I think.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 1:37pm

Post #61 of 371 (10527 views)
Shortcut
How exactly will this "big box set" happen, if... [In reply to] Can't Post

different studios are handling each trilogy?

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 1:39pm

Post #62 of 371 (10568 views)
Shortcut
They're not [In reply to] Can't Post

Warner has the home video rights to LOTR as well.

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 1:41pm

Post #63 of 371 (10536 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

But to say that PJ 'doesn't care' because the AUJ EE released 10 years after the LOTR EE by a different studio is almost exactly the same, is not only an incredibly ignorant statement IMO, but also offensive.

If PJ didn't care...he wouldn't be doing this.

hutch
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 1:44pm

Post #64 of 371 (10477 views)
Shortcut
Oh. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know that.

namarie
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 1:50pm

Post #65 of 371 (10494 views)
Shortcut
Well, I have to say I am disapointed [In reply to] Can't Post

Only 13 minutes of extra scenes?
I was expecting around 20.

I hope the extra material is as good as the one on the LOTR EE editions. Probably I will wait to find out more details and see some reviews before buying it.

"The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!"

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth."

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 1:52pm

Post #66 of 371 (10490 views)
Shortcut
Only in Germany, Eastern Europe, Russia and now USA... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but not in other countries. There Warner does not own LOTR.

In Reply To
Warner has the home video rights to LOTR as well.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

namarie
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 1:54pm

Post #67 of 371 (10477 views)
Shortcut
at least the extra features sound good // [In reply to] Can't Post

"The world is not in your books and maps. It's out there!"

"Such is the nature of evil. In time all foul things come forth."

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 1:59pm

Post #68 of 371 (10518 views)
Shortcut
Yeah - things change, times change, people need to adapt some - [In reply to] Can't Post

slight differentiation from what was done once upon a time before definitely doesn't qualify as "not caring" LOL

Now if he quit or something - then we could talk about "not caring" - but didn't he just give us a blog from like a whole day of filming?

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 2:04pm

Post #69 of 371 (10511 views)
Shortcut
What a disappointment... expecially when someone said it was more than 20 minutes of extra footage. [In reply to] Can't Post

Who was that? AH yes, THE DIRECTOR HIMSELF.

I guess we are facing two alternatives here:
1-its a mistake.
2-Warner wants to make a super extended edition sometimes in the future, maybe when the 4k resolution will be available. Now, if this is true, Warner? see my money? Look at them... look at them... BAM! Now you don't see them anymore.

http://energyfromthorium.com/

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 2:21pm

Post #70 of 371 (10517 views)
Shortcut
The funny thing is regardless of all the..... [In reply to] Can't Post

complaints, compliments, highs, lows, speculation, disappointment, excitement, etc..... you'll all still buy it Wink ...as will I...... just like the one ring...it will call to us....Cool .......The fact is, they had us at "extended".

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 2:23pm

Post #71 of 371 (10448 views)
Shortcut
Agree Totally [In reply to] Can't Post

I am extremely disappointed with the lack of cast commentary. If twas the one thing in the LOTR EE's that made me feel part of the movie. I really enjoyed those. I enjoyed Peter's and Phil's and Fran's commentary but I really was sold on the cast commentary and it's sad it wasn't done for these. It really helps to get the actors perspective on the scenes. That is a letdown.

Overall, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed. These movies have a built in fan base. the cinema made over a billion. Lack of foresight on both WB's and PJ's part in my opinion.

I am going to wait before buying this although I did absolutely love the scene with Bilbo and Elrond. That was a terrific scene and I am one of those who loved AUJ and also thinks it's a shame it didn't make it into the cinematic cut. I get that stuff has to be edited out though. But it is a terrific scene and both Weaving and MF there are just outstanding.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Danielos
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 2:37pm

Post #72 of 371 (10469 views)
Shortcut
Commentaries [In reply to] Can't Post

The kind of people that are obsessive enough to listen to commentary tracks are pretty few. Four different tracks on the LOTR EE was pretty excessive.

Iīm happy we are getting a new one with PJ & Phillippa, but disappointing that Fran isnīt part of it this time around.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 2:59pm

Post #73 of 371 (10455 views)
Shortcut
Not with this fanbase though [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the difference. The Tolkien/Hobbit/LOTR fanbase are fans that really want to see how the movie was made and all the details surrounding that and it's a huge, built in fanbase. I get that four tracks was over the top but this fanbase would buy it. This isn't your normal movie going group of people and the tracks for the LOTR EE were wildly successful.

Plus, we already have PJ's thoughts through vblogs and other spots on the making of the film. I think it was a miss to exclude cast commentary and honestly for me, it's close to being a dealbreaker. I may not purchase it but I am going to wait to see what others report about what's on it before buying it.

I won't be an early buyer this time that's for sure. I'll be wait and see. Don't get me wrong, I loved AUJ and I have the TE. I don't want to fork out money though for something in the end that isn't worth it for me.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 3:13pm

Post #74 of 371 (10477 views)
Shortcut
Run time of 184 minutes = 15 minutes longer? [In reply to] Can't Post

The press release gives the running time as 184 minutes, which is actually about 15 minutes longer than the theatrical edition (169 mins). Might it be closer to 15 in reality? I can't account for the other minutes otherwise - I can't see why they'd need to add a couple of minutes to the credits.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 3:20pm

Post #75 of 371 (10399 views)
Shortcut
I'll take that bet again! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.