The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Balin vs Dwalin

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 12:07pm

Post #1 of 14 (975 views)
Shortcut
Balin vs Dwalin Can't Post

One has the brain, the other has the brawn...who wins?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 4:03pm

Post #2 of 14 (795 views)
Shortcut
Um, what sort of fight? [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's a physical altercation, my money would be on Dwalin. Sorry, Balin. You're amazing and kind and were pretty impressive flourishing your mace... sword... thing in Goblintown, but I still think Dwalin would beat you in a fight. However, I do not want to see Balin and Dwalin in a fight. Frown That would be sad.

So let's say it is a battle of the mind! Perhaps they are playing chess instead. In that case... my money's on Balin. There. Now all's fair. Tongue

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 4:16pm

Post #3 of 14 (796 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I'm happy for the sort of fight to remain open [In reply to] Can't Post

As you said Dwalin would win in a straight-out brawl, but Balin is probably more of a tactical genius. I don't want to think of them fighting either really, I wonder what sort of situation would cause them to go to that extreme...

Or of course you can take it as an option of personal preference...i.e. you can take it as "who do you like more? Balin or Dwalin?"

I could have made it more clear in the initial post but I like the ambiguity of the question. Wink

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 6:14pm

Post #4 of 14 (777 views)
Shortcut
Certain parallels in the board game to another Universe? [In reply to] Can't Post

ie: how similar is Dwalin to Chewbacca? The clever Balin may just elect to let the Dwalin win.

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 6:17pm

Post #5 of 14 (767 views)
Shortcut
Haha, love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, Dwalin probably would rip your arms out if he lost! Wink

I think Dwalin v Chewie should be the next one...

(This post was edited by Radagast-Aiwendil on Jul 31 2013, 6:17pm)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 1:08am

Post #6 of 14 (967 views)
Shortcut
Draw [In reply to] Can't Post

Balin's got the brains, Dwalin's got the brawn, they should make lots of money!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 8:14pm

Post #7 of 14 (737 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, nice comparison. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had not thought of this, but it is brilliant! Laugh However, I don't think Dwalin would do that to his older brother (or to Thorin, or to Fili and Kili). Anyone else, though... they're probably fair game.

Dwalin vs. Chewbacca. Now there's one I really would not like to place bets on.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 8:18pm

Post #8 of 14 (737 views)
Shortcut
I'd love to see those two in a bellowing contest....! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Dwalin vs. Chewbacca. Now there's one I really would not like to place bets on.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 1 2013, 8:54pm

Post #9 of 14 (752 views)
Shortcut
For a moment [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought that said you're like to see those two in a beer-drinking contest! Laugh Don't know how that got into my mind, but I must admit that would be hilarious!

Now Balin, of course, would be too wise to involve himself in such shenanigans. He might referee it... and keep Fili and Kili from joining. Can you imagine explaining all of this to Thorin? Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 10:04pm

Post #10 of 14 (786 views)
Shortcut
Oh, a beer-drinking contest would be pretty great too W-S! [In reply to] Can't Post

Actually maybe all those Dwalin-shenanigans might be one of the few things to make Thorin laugh, in spite of himself! Cool In the finest of traditions, I can also picture Thorin calling Chewie a walking carpet.

Is there a Tolkien topic that you have wanted to look into more deeply, and write about your thoughts on it? If so, we'd like to hear from you for the next TORn Amateur Symposium- coming in November. Happy writing!

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Aug 2 2013, 6:31pm

Post #11 of 14 (717 views)
Shortcut
I think Chewie would win [In reply to] Can't Post

If he had his crossbow and the Falcon taken from him it would be a fairer battle since Chewie would only have his physical strength whilst Dwalin would have his hammer, but Chewie is tougher and has a better reach...so I think Dwalin would regret picking that particular fight! Wink

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Aug 2 2013, 8:45pm

Post #12 of 14 (740 views)
Shortcut
Realistically, I would have to agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Still would be cheering on Dwalin, though.

...Apparently, somehow I've fallen in love with each and every Dwarf so much that I find it hard to think of any cinematic character I like more than them!!! Kind of scary. Then again, I'm not very sorry about it... Cool

Arandir
Gondor

Aug 5 2013, 7:00pm

Post #13 of 14 (709 views)
Shortcut
Completely agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

My first thought as soon as I saw the topic title! Laugh Simply can't decide between the two - both have their own awesomness!

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Elskidor
Rohan

Sep 21 2013, 4:17pm

Post #14 of 14 (659 views)
Shortcut
Depends [In reply to] Can't Post

A straight up duel and Dwalin wins, but given notice and time to prepare and Balin will win through some sneaky strategy.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.