Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Not that it's relevant, and not that it really matters, but...

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Jul 30 2013, 8:41pm

Post #1 of 4 (885 views)
Shortcut
Not that it's relevant, and not that it really matters, but... Can't Post

...what does the whole Oscar situation look like for DOS? I know that the Oscars don't mean much, and can be completely political, but I am still fairly interested in having some success from the Acadamy.

We are about 7 months into the year, so what have we seen so far this year that could get in the way of DOS winning a few Oscars, and what is still to come? Also, what categories do you think could get a nod for a nomination?

I think Howard Shore has a great chance, as well as the ones that were recognized last year (Makeup, Production Design, Visual Effects). There's probably a few more that could get a chance too.

Again, I really don't care too much one way or another, but it's just something to think about and throw ideas out there. It would be nice for the Hobbit trilogy to maybe get 6-8 Oscars overall, maybe more, depending on the success of TABA.

(This post was edited by Misty Mountain Hop on Jul 30 2013, 8:41pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Jul 30 2013, 9:48pm

Post #2 of 4 (393 views)
Shortcut
I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Visual Effects, Production Design and Make Up are almost locks, especially since we will see many new locations and designs with this movie.

The score will have a big chance, too, I guess, if Shore and Jackson create and edit much more new music for and into the movie.

Music and Sound Editing, as well as Editing and Cinematography, are something that a movie like DoS is always a potential candidate in. I think they usually also depend a bit on the buzz a movie gets, because many voters are no experts in those very technical areas.

Other than that - probably none. I don't see the movie creating much Oscar buzz as of yet, unless some real hype breaks out because of Smaug or stellar reviews or whatever (all is possible, ask those who thought Man of Steel and Pacific Rim would crush this year's box office, lol).

If some buzz evolves, surprises like a nomination for a supporting actor (Pace?) or the screenplay would be the first candidates, I think. But - to make that clear - I very much doubt it. Especially for the actor nominations the field is often so crowded that you really need a "Oscar-favourite" role to make a nomination happen. I don't see that for any of the roles in TH or LotR (McKellen was a major surprise to me). I hope we will one day get the category "Best Ensemble".

As for the King's categories... I see almost zero chances for Best Actor, Best Director and Best Picture. The hype and buzz is not big enough this time around, not even before AUJ hit the cinemas. And it is more of the same in many ways, so that is not that bad.

ďA dragon is no idle fancy. Whatever may be his origins, in fact or invention, the dragon in legend is a potent creation of menís imagination, richer in significance than his barrow is in gold.Ē J.R.R. Tolkien

Words of wisdom that should be remembered - both by critics, purists and anyone in between.

BallyWhooo
Bree

Jul 31 2013, 4:18am

Post #3 of 4 (218 views)
Shortcut
Maybe a better year... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have to agree that the prospects for the big categories seem dim. HOWEVER, I would say that if any of the three were to receive a Best Picture nomination, it would be TDOS. I think it will be the most spectacular visually of the three. And, since there are now between 5 and 9 nominees, if the year continues to be weak, I don't see why TDOS couldn't slip in now that folks have had time to get over their need to diss AUJ because it was "not LOTR". I'm expecting a little more love from the critics. All the technical categories are very much in play, and I think cinematography is a very real possibility as long as the cinematography branch can still get behind a lot of CG scenes. A flying dragon, giant spiders and a skin changer along with Mirkwood, Laketown and Erebor make for a lot of sweeping camera work. I kind of think Mr. Shore is out of luck on these movies. Not that his work isn't exemplary, it is, but unless there are a lot of new, recognizable themes, I think the music branch members will just see this as a continuation of AUJ (and ROTK) and not consider it original enough to nominate. I don't think the screenplay has much of a chance. Unlike LOTR where PJ and Co did such a magnificent job condensing the script, characters and plot lines, with The Hobbit, they are just adding and padding, which while alright with me (give me all you got PJ!), I don't see the Academy going that way. There will be plenty of other adapted screenplays that will push it out of the top five, led by August: Osage County. There's your Oscar-bait right there.

But I'll surely keep my fingers crossed!!!

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 11:27am

Post #4 of 4 (148 views)
Shortcut
I think an award for visual effects could happen [In reply to] Can't Post

If they manage to make Smaug turn out great. If done right, it could turn out another highlight of WETA similar to Gollum and Kong.

I think as long as they manage to give Smaug great facial expressions, lip-sync that doesn't look weird and great body animations, there's a pretty high chance Smaug alone could be the reason they get an award for visual effects.

Here's hoping the guys from WETA prove themselves again with Smaug!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.