Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Time was an issue for me as well

sador
Valinor

Jul 31 2013, 11:23am

Views: 171
Shortcut
Time was an issue for me as well [In reply to] Can't Post

But it usually isn't, as I give the RR precedence over other forums in TORn. It's just that I wasn't on board much this week. As it is, I am still dawdling behind.

The question is whether you are aiming at a symposium, to induce people to research and write (in which case a tight schedule is fine), or at prompting discussions on a wide range of topics.
If the idea is to have people write and publish on the Internet (some people have suggested abstracts to make the essays more researchable), this also asks for a different kind of orientation - more of a critical peer review, focused on the merits and faults of the presented essays more than a free-for-all discussion of the topics presented by them. As I haven't been commenting so far on the essays, I can yet aim at either... that is, if the authors are interested in peer review. And would the essays be updated if necessary? I mean, if one of the authors has made a factual error, who does s/he submit a correction to?

A third question is whether this symposium "belongs" on the RR, or rather on Main. For instance, DwellerinDale's great essay was not about the books at all - part I was about the FotR movie and part II about the Hobbit one. But on the other hand, inducing more people to come and look in the RR is most definitely good; so I'm rather torn about this.

In general, I have enjoyed the seven or eight essays I have read so far very much, even if I take issue with the basic premises of some of them. Well done, both organisers and writers! I am not sure whether I would dare to submit one next time, even had I the time to write it!

Subject User Time
The TAS Feedback Thread, for the July 2013 TAS TORn Amateur Symposium Send a private message to TORn Amateur Symposium Jul 29 2013, 3:00am
    pace: too fast Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Jul 29 2013, 5:24am
    I'll echo Magpie demnation Send a private message to demnation Jul 29 2013, 8:55am
    I second everything Lothwen Send a private message to Lothwen Jul 29 2013, 9:55am
    Congratulations... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jul 29 2013, 12:33pm
        Thanks Furincurunir! And everyone! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 29 2013, 6:34pm
    speed or amount rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Jul 29 2013, 2:50pm
    Thank you! telain Send a private message to telain Jul 29 2013, 3:50pm
        Events and timing CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Aug 5 2013, 2:34am
            Thanks so much for the ideas CG! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 7 2013, 2:27am
            Thanks CG... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Aug 11 2013, 9:09pm
    Agreeing with Magpie and Telain. dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Jul 29 2013, 4:27pm
        Thanks for the feedback so far everyone. DanielLB Send a private message to DanielLB Jul 29 2013, 5:56pm
            It would be a shame to limit the number of contributions noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Jul 29 2013, 7:04pm
            Abstracts and duration of symposium rangerfromthenorth Send a private message to rangerfromthenorth Jul 30 2013, 2:57am
                Thanks Ranger! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 1 2013, 3:56am
        Thanks for the Feedback so far everybody elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Jul 29 2013, 9:10pm
    I agree with Magpie too. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jul 29 2013, 9:59pm
    Timing is everything.... sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Jul 30 2013, 3:25am
        Thanks Sevilodorf - and welcome into Gondor! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 30 2013, 4:03am
            Thank you, it's been a long, slow trip sevilodorf Send a private message to sevilodorf Jul 30 2013, 4:49am
    Time was an issue for me as well sador Send a private message to sador Jul 31 2013, 11:23am
        Thanks for your input Sador Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Jul 31 2013, 4:15pm
    My thoughts... cats16 Send a private message to cats16 Jul 31 2013, 10:50pm
        Thanks for the *high five* Cats! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Aug 1 2013, 3:52am

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.