The SLIGHTLY Extended Edition
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 9:43am

Post #26 of 371 (11549 views)
Shortcut
Appendices look good.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but the absence of the cast commentary is sad. This was the probably most entertaining bonus feature of the original LOTR SEE releases.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

Azaghâl
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 9:46am

Post #27 of 371 (11543 views)
Shortcut
Meh... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't help but feel really disappointed by this. I hope for a PJ facebook update some time doing the next 24 hours, with a little bit of explaining. 13 minuttes is hardly extended, especially when we know most of the content. Atleast there is alot of bonus material.

AUJ has really been an UNEXPECTED journey, for many of us fans.. Hopefully the 3 film split is the reason this first installment has been a little.. clunky, at points.

Otherwise: DAMN YOU WB!!! Cool

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!*

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 10:06am

Post #28 of 371 (11496 views)
Shortcut
Most of the mainstream audience complained AUJ was too long... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and now the hardcore fans are complaining that the EE is too short.

Do you think this will inform PJs editing of DoS? Shorted theatrical edition and save more footage for the extended edition?

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durin’s Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin’s Folk walk again in Moria.”

jtarkey
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 10:11am

Post #29 of 371 (11479 views)
Shortcut
How about not worrying about the runtime? [In reply to] Can't Post

Worry about the quality of the footage instead.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 10:13am

Post #30 of 371 (11586 views)
Shortcut
The 13 minutes [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's recap what we know then:

- Extended Prologue (probably about 1 minute)
- Bilbo in the Marketplace (about 2 minutes)
- Young Bilbo flashback (about 1 minute)
- Bilbo looking at Narsil and meeting Elrond (I'll say about 2.5 minutes in all)
- Dwarves messing around in Rivendell - possibly including Bofur's song and the bath scene (2-3 minutes?)
- More Goblintown (2 minutes in all?)

That adds up to about 11-12 minutes by my calculations. Am I forgetting anything?

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 10:15am

Post #31 of 371 (11504 views)
Shortcut
Apparently there is an extra Trollshaws scene? // [In reply to] Can't Post

I simply walked into Mordor.

Hamfast of Gamwich
Rivendell

Jul 31 2013, 10:16am

Post #32 of 371 (11469 views)
Shortcut
Given we have no new information about the quality of the footage, how do you suggest we go about worrying about that? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Durin's Heir you may be, but even with one eye you should see clearer. If this is victory, then our hands are too small to hold it. We will not enter Khazad-dum. You will not enter Khazad-dum. Beyond the shadow of the gate it waits for you still: Durin’s Bane. The world must change and some other power than ours must come before Durin’s Folk walk again in Moria.”

jtarkey
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 10:19am

Post #33 of 371 (11453 views)
Shortcut
Ummm.....What? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why would you worry about something you know everything about in the first place?

"Worry" is usually associated with uncertainty...

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 31 2013, 10:19am

Post #34 of 371 (11461 views)
Shortcut
Which scenes would have been chopped, in your (or anyone else's) opinion? // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 31 2013, 10:26am

Post #35 of 371 (11462 views)
Shortcut
Not that I'm aware of. Where did you hear this? :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

There is yet hope for a talking purse!

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 10:40am

Post #36 of 371 (11444 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If you look at the extended edition of the soundtrack there is a track called 'The Trollshaws' which does feature in the theatrical film. Also, I swear I saw a post about it in January/February time. I'm not even sure anymore Tongue

I just swear I've heard about it somewhereBlush

I simply walked into Mordor.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 10:48am

Post #37 of 371 (11528 views)
Shortcut
This is very dissapointing for several reasons: [In reply to] Can't Post

1) No cast or Art Design Team commentraries? Mad 1 Commentary in Total???

2) I was hoping for a documentary exploring The Hobbit's genesis as a kids book, and its relationship to Tolkien's other early stories-Roverandom, Farmer Giles etc

3) It seems very little of my personal list of scenes I wanted to see has made it in:

More of Dale, Erebor and Thranduil,
The arrows and treasure explanations
Extended song in Bag End
Young Bilbo
Extended riddles in the dark
Extended Battle of Anazzibazur (or whatever it's called) especially the Balrog...
The Dwarves being teased by the elves about their beards
Fili/Kili falling in the river chasing after the horses as in the book
A reference to Bilbo's overisized borrowed cloak in the book
More Rivendell-Bofur's song, the shards of Narsil and (you never know) perhaps a glance at Elrond's mythical libary
Bilbo and co seeing some of the ruins of Arnor along the road
A reference explaining why the eagles aren't just a taxi service
Extended White Council (hated how AUJ treated Christopher Lee)
A reference to the purse (maybe one of the dwarves could pick it up and discard it in the Troll's cave)
A reference to Thorin/Fili/Kili's musical talents (a quick shot or two of the harp in Erebor for instance)

The highly unlikely Gondolin stuff would be very interesting to see

(Also Hoping for Glorfindel, and young Estel cameos-in the background without any dialogue)

And...DAIN IRONFOOT!!

But:
Less Actions sequences
Less Radagast
MUCH Less Azog

I too couldn't care less about the 3d but I'm looking forward to the extras-can't wait to see the behind the scenes stuff, esp. what lame reasoning Phillipa 'Tolkien Expert' Boyens and co had for some of the changes/addtions, and It will be interesting to see whether they include any documentaries on Tolkien, and/or the books genesis as one of his Childrens stories (ie 'Yeah its a short childrens book, so we made three adult films)

It would be cool to see some audtion tapes and outakes this time around (I believe PJ is saving LOTR's for the 'big box set' of the two trilogies), though just for the sake of convinience it would be nice to have the Production Blogs and trailers included as well as the new stuff.

I'm not hoping for that much am I? Wink

PS. A free squeaky talking purse would be cool, just saying.

Oh well there is the Mythical Ultimate cut box set to look forward to...

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 10:51am

Post #38 of 371 (11398 views)
Shortcut
The lack of commentaries on this set is very odd [In reply to] Can't Post

And will no doubt fuel conspiracy theories that they're being saved for an ultimate box set further down the line, perhaps with other documentaries and - dare I say - an even longer version of each film.

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 10:57am

Post #39 of 371 (11404 views)
Shortcut
We still haven't seen deleted scenes, outakes, or cast auditions for LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

All of which are things PJ has talked about releasing at some point (there is alot of lotr deleted footage-just check gramaboodawg's list, the scripts, or listen to the commentaries), I also seem to remember reading he shot a few bits of test footage with a 3d camera for LOTR at some point, and I would love to see a joint commentary by a film critic, and A Tolkien scholar (such as Tom Shippey) released on this ultimate cut...

It might be a bit unfair to him but I'd by very curious to see Stuart Townsend's scenes as Aragorn...

TheHutt
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 11:01am

Post #40 of 371 (11420 views)
Shortcut
Well, the amount of time is not that relevant... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if these are 13 minutes of excellent scenes. If they are of any comparison to the released Elrond scene, I am really looking forward to this version!

After all, ROTK SEE had 50 minutes of extended scenes, and a good half of them was utter trash (whereas the other half was excellent).

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 11:12am

Post #41 of 371 (11384 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the new scenes sound great, but I'm not keen on more Goblin stuff-If I wanted crazy overblown CGI action I'd watch Avatar or Indiana Jones and The Kingdom of the Massive Dissapointement.

Still I can't help but wonder if we will see The Goblin King's toilet, er throne in action...sounds very PJ to me...

Nuradar
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 11:27am

Post #42 of 371 (11357 views)
Shortcut
sounds disappointing [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR EEs set the bar quite high, I admit, but come on - just 13 extra minutes! It's the same director and crew. I'm waiting an extra 11 months for just 13 additional minutes more than the theatrical release? Very disappointing. I'd rather have more movie than more special features, although I am looking forward to the 9 hours of special features.

I'm hoping the EEs of DOS and TABA have more than just 13 extra minutes.

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 31 2013, 11:34am

Post #43 of 371 (11424 views)
Shortcut
I love the fact that [In reply to] Can't Post

The Appendices are titled parts 7 & 8. It gives great continuity with the Appendices of the LOTR EE and also gives me great hope they'll be of similar quality AND quantity.

I'm also a bit disappointed that there's only 13 minutes of extended footage. But the fact that we'll get new appendices is enough for me to make up for itSmile

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 11:45am

Post #44 of 371 (11351 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think entire scenes would have been cut as such-rather segments of scenes. I think that at half of the Bag End dialogue would have gone, since the film is about 40 minutes in by the end of all that. The conversation between Thorin and Balin *felt* to me like something that would have found its way into the EE rather than the TE-don't ask me why, it just did and does. Other bits include some of the clips in Rivendell, Goblin-town and perhaps some of the bits along the road just after leaving Bag End. Characters such as the Goblin-King, Radagast and Azog would probably have had less to do, Azog definitely since much of his involvement was a last-minute addition to the trilogy.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Noria
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 11:58am

Post #45 of 371 (11350 views)
Shortcut
I'm not disappointed. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thirteen minutes is a lot if they are good scenes. I feel that several of the added scenes in RotK added nothing to the movie and there were a couple in FotR and TTT that weren’t great, IMO, so quality minutes are better than more minutes of lesser material. I also agree that PJ probably used up a lot of potential EE footage in the AUJ TE when the three film split was decided upon.

I loved the LotR EEs and am thrilled that tradition is being continued. Often I watch the documentaries and listen to the director/writers commentary after I watch the LotR movies. The actor’s commentaries were entertaining the first time but I never go back to them, so I won’t feel the lack of them on the AUJ EE.

Ironically, as an avid consumer of director’s commentaries and extra features, I am less inclined to buy DVDs now because there is less of that kind of material on them. If The Hobbit EEs had little in the way of commentary and documentaries, I probably wouldn’t even bother.

PJ is known to like to record and publish his film making journeys. I suspect the difference here is Warner Brothers.

Was it not always the plan that the BOFA would be shot this summer, even before the three film split was announced? Or am I remembering wrong?

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 31 2013, 12:05pm

Post #46 of 371 (11333 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious to know your source for the features. [In reply to] Can't Post

Have I missed an earlier post somewhere?
Cheers

morro91
Bree

Jul 31 2013, 12:11pm

Post #47 of 371 (11371 views)
Shortcut
Link [In reply to] Can't Post

The info is here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11784

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 12:46pm

Post #48 of 371 (11311 views)
Shortcut
The Appendices part 7 and part 8? [In reply to] Can't Post

... according to that blu-ray.com list. I think that's interesting - makes the link between the two three-part films explicit.

And it all sounds good to me. Of course, in the abstract I'd like more than 13 extra minutes - who is there who likes the film and wouldn't - but that little scene between Bilbo and Elrond is lovely and just the sort of thing I'm hoping to see.

I also like the first of the two designs shown on that page. That's new to me.

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 12:46pm

Post #49 of 371 (11317 views)
Shortcut
What are you talking about? [In reply to] Can't Post

What is disappointing?

That it is only extended 13 minutes? Are you insinuating that PJ should not cut the film to its perfect length? He should just cram as much material into it as possible? I may be wrong but it seems that a lot of people complaining about there being only 13 minutes extra would be the same people complaining that the film is too bloated if there had been, say, 30 minutes added.

And I KNOW you aren't talking about the 9 hours of special features and appendices...because that is shaping up to be perfectly in line with what the LOTR EEs had to offer...

I really don't understand...

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 31 2013, 12:53pm

Post #50 of 371 (11289 views)
Shortcut
Is PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

the head of the marketing and home video distribution department at Warner Brothers?

I had no idea...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.