Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The SLIGHTLY Extended Edition
First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 3:28pm

Post #351 of 371 (14939 views)
Shortcut
Movies were still in theaters longer 10 years ago [In reply to] Can't Post

and piracy wasn't as easy.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken.

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 3:31pm

Post #352 of 371 (14928 views)
Shortcut
which is funny [In reply to] Can't Post

cuz there was plenty of Viggo in the docs. ha ha ha.

hutch
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 3:33pm

Post #353 of 371 (14931 views)
Shortcut
exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

diff commentaries have diff purposes. People have different interests and reasons for tuning in. I know people that can't stand LOTR but tuned in to hear about technical accomplishments.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 6 2013, 4:08pm

Post #354 of 371 (14922 views)
Shortcut
Subsequent subthread removed [In reply to] Can't Post

*sigh* Please refrain from getting personal, folks! Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Shagrat
Gondor

Aug 6 2013, 4:13pm

Post #355 of 371 (14918 views)
Shortcut
Update from TheDigitalBits [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally today (following up on our post from last Thursday), I’ve heard back unofficially from my sources regarding the running time of Warner’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey – Extended Edition release. Essentially what I’ve been told is that director Peter Jackson’s estimate (given in select interviews a few months back, that 20-25 minutes of footage would likely be added back into the film for the Extended Cut) was essentially just a guess at the time, as he hadn’t yet even started to cut the longer version. So there’s nothing sinister going on with the fact that the Extended Cut turned out to only be 13 minutes longer – the cut is exactly the way he wanted it and it’s just the way it worked out in the editing room. The production team is seriously under the gun at the moment working to finish Desolation of Smaug for its December release, so Jackson may comment officially on this or not. In any case, recognizing that this information probably isn’t going to satisfy some fans, that’s the deal

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 6 2013, 4:22pm

Post #356 of 371 (14926 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for creating that word cloud! Before I saw it, my guess was that "minutes" would be a top word, and it looks like it was certainly up there.

I think we all deep down agree that the quality of the extra footage is more important than the quantity, but until we've seen it, we can't judge the quality, so all we can judge is the quantity. The same goes for the commentary track(s).

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 6 2013, 4:40pm

Post #357 of 371 (14916 views)
Shortcut
Top 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's another quantitative figure for you:

This topic is now in the Hobbit forum's top 10 in terms of most posts.

Does that make it a "good" topic? Or merely a "long" topic?

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 6 2013, 5:09pm

Post #358 of 371 (14922 views)
Shortcut
Quantity vs quality [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally, I prefer long albums to short albums, long books to short books... and the same goes for movies, games, hikes, bike rides, etc.

For me, the scale or "epic-ness" of an activity (including entertainment) definitely contributes to my overall perception of quality. I like to be immersed in the activity, and can endure long stretches of tedium as long as an occasional tidbit of enjoyment comes along.

Perhaps it's "attention deficit surplus disorder" or something like that, but for me, quantity is definitely a component of quality. Maybe this is a feeling most collectors share. We like large amounts of stuff, and like to immerse ourselves in our hoardings. Like Smaug!

So as a collector, I get much more excited about collecting 23 extra minutes than 13 extra minutes. And I think the marketers know that, and that's why they are strongly pitching "9 hours!" of extra features.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 6 2013, 5:13pm

Post #359 of 371 (14924 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

I generally agree. I am sometimes disappointed by short stories,(I want them to go on with the great story), but sometimes they are cut at just the right point of believability. Any longer, they'd be rubbish, and I just have to remind myself of that.

I should be glad that we get anything extra, but I will reserve judgement until I see it.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 7 2013, 1:12am

Post #360 of 371 (14887 views)
Shortcut
Music [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought they might include even more of the CD but its got a pretty fair amount in it now.

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 7 2013, 1:24am

Post #361 of 371 (14906 views)
Shortcut
To be fair [In reply to] Can't Post

We've had several posts about it recently that mentioned the 13 mins.

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 7 2013, 3:17am

Post #362 of 371 (14866 views)
Shortcut
"Extended" [In reply to] Can't Post

I just think it's interesting that in TORN's description of the "extended" version, they don't actually mention the extended footage!

Perhaps if the amount of extended footage were more significant, it wouldn't have gotten forgotten (or deliberately omitted). :)

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 7 2013, 3:25am

Post #363 of 371 (14885 views)
Shortcut
We've talked about it before. [In reply to] Can't Post

If not in one of these recent posts one of them in the most recent past. Well, mentioned what we know at least right now is included.

Edit: As a matter of fact a post on the FP Mrcere that mentions the 13 mins in the first paragraph. I don't think we need to mention it every time we post about it. Especially if we post about it 4-5 times on the FP in a short amount of time.

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 7 2013, 3:37am

Post #364 of 371 (14873 views)
Shortcut
FP? [In reply to] Can't Post

What does "FP" mean?

First Post? Free Press? Forum P-something?

Elessar
Valinor

Aug 7 2013, 3:57am

Post #365 of 371 (14870 views)
Shortcut
Front Page [In reply to] Can't Post

It means Front Page. Sorry, I just figure people know what that means without thinking I should use the whole thing. lol

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 7 2013, 4:03am

Post #366 of 371 (14870 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems to show what the main source of this discussion is. or at least why the two sides are getting a little frustrated with each other.

I think that there is a huge difference in being disappointed that the Hobbit EE is not exactly like the LotR EEs, including the same features and what not, and that this particular release is terrible or sucks or not worth it. Whereas some are combining the two (not all). Just to me, those are two different things.

This set still contains a huge amount of material for one film. Compared to other bluray sets, this could be considered a lot of content for a whole trilogy of films.

At the end of the day this set contains 13 new minutes, a director's commentary, and 5+ hours of documentaries. I can't even think of anything that comes close to that, including the 6 film Marvel phase One set and the Star Wars 6 movie set. If you were to consider the LotR EEs the greatest home video release ever (and I personally do), then based on what is listed then the Hobbit would fall to number 2 on that list. It's still providing more than 99% of all DVD/Blu ray releases. Is it disappointing that its not a mirror image of the LotR sets? Yes, sure it is. But this is still quite an impressive release.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

(This post was edited by Buchanicus on Aug 7 2013, 4:13am)

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 7 2013, 4:21am

Post #367 of 371 (14853 views)
Shortcut
Makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I see what you mean...

Funny, I just got the Star Wars set today. Another set I have my eye on is Bond 50. Unfortunately, the pricing for that is a bit wacky at the moment.

Buchanicus
Lorien

Aug 7 2013, 5:03am

Post #368 of 371 (14865 views)
Shortcut
To be fair... [In reply to] Can't Post

That Star Wars set may have more total special features, but a lot is archival previously released stuff.... but you get my point Wink

And I really want that Bond 50 set too, but the price makes it hard for me to pull the trigger. I keep hoping it'll be one of Amazon's insane deals of the day. I got the Alien Anthology Blu Ray box set last summer for under $20 last summer as one of the DotD.

TORn member formally known as ryan1976.

(This post was edited by Buchanicus on Aug 7 2013, 5:03am)

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 7 2013, 6:40am

Post #369 of 371 (14846 views)
Shortcut
Bond [In reply to] Can't Post

The US version of Bond 50 blu-ray is now down to $109.99 -- better grab it quick before it shoots back up again!

http://www.amazon.com/...u-ray/dp/B006U1J5ZY/

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 8 2013, 11:47pm

Post #370 of 371 (14765 views)
Shortcut
Bond 50 Region info? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to snatch the Bond 50 set for $109.99 (from Amazon US), but I'm worried that the discs won't work on my New Zealand (region 2) blu-ray player.

Has anyone confirmed whether or not the Amazon US Bond 50 blu-rays are region A only, or region free? (I know the UK ones are supposed to be Region Free except for Quantum of Solace).

tripecac
Rivendell

Aug 10 2013, 2:36am

Post #371 of 371 (14827 views)
Shortcut
Bond 50 Amazon UK update [In reply to] Can't Post

Today Amazon UK finally made Bond 50 available again. The price is £90.00.

Whenever I order from Amazon UK (from New Zealand) it deducts tax, so the total ended up being £75.00 plus £3.58 shipping, for a total of £78.58 which is currently $126.85 (USD). Not bad!

First page Previous page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.