Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Northern Mine Barrage :
Yahoo posts a scene from the Extended Edition - Bilbo meets Elrond!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

MatthewJer18
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 7:56am

Post #1 of 101 (3403 views)
Shortcut
Yahoo posts a scene from the Extended Edition - Bilbo meets Elrond! Can't Post

It's confirmed that the EE will be thirteen minutes longer.

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/...sive--065952595.html

Thranderz
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 8:01am

Post #2 of 101 (1547 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

At first I didn't believe it and wow....well found Matthew!
A great scene and it definitely shows the part of Elrond that is 'kind as summer'. Smile

A brilliant scene! The only thing I'm disappointed about is that the extended version is just 13 minutes longer Unsure

I'm sure the next two will be longer Cool

EDIT: Just saw there will be 9 hours of behind the scenes/appendices material with the special edition! That's a hell of a lot......

I simply walked into Mordor.

(This post was edited by Thranderz on Jul 31 2013, 8:03am)

Carne
Sailing Master

Jul 31 2013, 8:05am

Post #3 of 101 (1471 views)
Shortcut
Only 13? [In reply to] Can't Post

Didn't Jackson say between 20-25 minutes Frown?

Does anyone have a YouTube link? For some reasons the Yahoo player just keeps buffering forever.

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 31 2013, 8:15am)

There&ThereAgain
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 8:06am

Post #4 of 101 (1513 views)
Shortcut
that scene! [In reply to] Can't Post

is played brilliantly. perfect blend of errm "yes and no."

warmed my heart a little. Heart

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Mooseboy018
Gunner

Jul 31 2013, 8:07am

Post #5 of 101 (1393 views)
Shortcut
Love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I especially love how they fit in that line of Frodo's from the book about elves.

Silverlode
Terror of the Seas / Moderator

Jul 31 2013, 8:18am

Post #6 of 101 (1403 views)
Shortcut
Great scene! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the way they wrote Elrond this time around, and I'm delighted to see more of him. It took a long time, but Bilbo eventually took him up on that offer.

Maybe we'll get the Shards of Narsil in the EE, too. Here's hoping!

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Shagrat
Gunner

Jul 31 2013, 8:29am

Post #7 of 101 (1412 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's theme's gone again [In reply to] Can't Post

As with 'Axe or Sword', it's been replaced by generic Shire material, possibly even tracked (I'm not certain about that). You can hear the lovely rendition in 'The White Council' on the Special Edition soundtrack.

This is really frustrating, because it's a wonderful theme, and I really don't know what Jackson's problem is with it. For those unhappy with the film soundtrack I think this safely rules out any kind of overhaul on the EE.

demnation
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 8:39am

Post #8 of 101 (1329 views)
Shortcut
Pretty good little scene [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond is one of the best improvements over LOTR, IMO. Anyone else notice the bizarre Star Wars like film cover at the end?

"In the beginning the Universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

DanielLB
Captain

Jul 31 2013, 8:46am

Post #9 of 101 (1323 views)
Shortcut
Not watching, not watching ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we're only getting 13 extra minutes, I'll hold off watching any scenes. There will be a lot more of these released before November, We'll end up seeing half the EE before it's even released!

(I'll probably cave today and watch it. Wink)

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 31 2013, 8:47am)

morro91
Powder Monkey

Jul 31 2013, 8:46am

Post #10 of 101 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Re - soundtrack tracking [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldnt be so quick to assume that the music has been tracked in that scene.

The scene is in day, then you have Elrond etc. at night looking at the map, then later, the same night one assumes you have the White Council. One suspects a night scene with Bilbo, probably including looking at Narsil is the scene meant for the start of "The White Council" track on the soundtrack.

jtarkey
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 8:55am

Post #11 of 101 (1348 views)
Shortcut
How in the world did that NOT make the theatrical cut? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm honestly blown away. That was a perfectly acted, poignant, and whimsical little exchange which also gave the audience important information.

And instead we got dwarves breaking tables....

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Shagrat
Gunner

Jul 31 2013, 8:58am

Post #12 of 101 (1257 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

But if you listen to the music in the scene, the first bit tallies perfectly with the music we hear just before Bilbo's theme plays in the extended 'White Council' track. It's obviously meant to score this scene, but they've gone with yet another variation of the pensive Shire theme. As I said I don't know whether or not it's tracked, but it's too familiar all the same. Jackson goes on about wanting new music but he's chiefly culpable for that problem with AUJ, not Shore.

Eldorion
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 9:07am

Post #13 of 101 (1280 views)
Shortcut
What a great little scene! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really did enjoy that, great acting from Weaving and Freeman alike and it's nice to see more Bilbo-centric material. However, my enthusiasm is tempered by the regret that this was not in the theatrical edition (Bilbo all but disappears for the Rivendell sequence and is marginalized throughout the film) and the knowledge that that clip represented fully 1/13th of the new material we'll get in November.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Thranderz
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 9:28am

Post #14 of 101 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson knows that we take the Extended Editions as gospel so he must have had some confidence that we will only fully judge the extended version, not the theatrical. Which is true, well for me anyway, and I am glad it's in the extended cut because for me that IS the film. So whatever happened to Bilbo in Rivendell? Now we know and that's how it will stay Smile

Nunilo
Powder Monkey

Jul 31 2013, 9:28am

Post #15 of 101 (1198 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting to see, and a lovely scene. It felt so strange to watch a 'new' scene after seeing the theatrical cut so many times. Cool This fits in well with the stone giants scene, although I was hoping to see more of Bilbo 'not fitting in' with the dwarves first hand. Still, I'm glad they added this. I can't wait for the EE now!

Thranderz
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 9:33am

Post #16 of 101 (1170 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's nice to see some positivity, there's quite a few negative nannies around Wink

Eldorion
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 9:35am

Post #17 of 101 (1229 views)
Shortcut
Jackson himself has never treated the EEs as gospel, though [In reply to] Can't Post

He (and Boyens) has always been very clear that the EEs are made with extra material "for the fans" but that the theatrical cuts are his preferred version. While I prefer the EEs of all three LOTR films, I'm skeptical of the notion that they can exclude flaws in the theatrical cuts. Any version of the film that is released to the public, but especially the one that is released to the widest audience (the theatrical cut) should be able to stand on its own. IMO. Wink

That said, I'd just like to reiterate that I did really enjoy this scene and I do intend to enjoy it and any other additional Bilbo-centric scenes when AUJ-EE is released. Cool

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

(This post was edited by Eldorion on Jul 31 2013, 9:37am)

MediaMalable
Powder Monkey

Jul 31 2013, 9:36am

Post #18 of 101 (1157 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Jackson knows that we take the Extended Editions as gospel so he must have had some confidence that we will only fully judge the extended version, not the theatrical. Which is true, well for me anyway, and I am glad it's in the extended cut because for me that IS the film. So whatever happened to Bilbo in Rivendell? Now we know and that's how it will stay Smile

I remember hearing Jackson say that Fellowship of the Ring only really came together in the edit when they made it solidly Frodo's storyline, and made sure the pacing of the film was dictated by his particular journey. I feel that AUJ is similar, and this scene really helps put the focus squarely on Bilbo's experience of Rivendell, rather than just on the larger mythos that's more emphasized in the theatrical version's Rivendell scenes.

I really, really like this scene. Hope we also see the bit with Narsil from the trailer in the final film.

Thranderz
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 9:38am

Post #19 of 101 (1165 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

but for many 'die-hard' fans such as ourselves it's the EE that we really care about. Not all of us though. However, I agree with what you are saying, it is the theatrical that is shown to the public so that should be their perfect cut. Smile

MediaMalable
Powder Monkey

Jul 31 2013, 9:43am

Post #20 of 101 (1141 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

we totally agree, I was trying to say (somewhat confusingly) that the extended edition of AUJ looks to be an IMPROVEMENT over the theatrical in that sense, and as a hardcore fan, I'm very pleased with this scene. I really missed seeing Bilbo's experience of Rivendell in the theatrical, and can't really understand why this scene would have been cut. Smile

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gunner

Jul 31 2013, 9:43am

Post #21 of 101 (1268 views)
Shortcut
"I've heard that it is unwise to seek the counsel of Elves, for they will answer both yes and no" [In reply to] Can't Post

Love it! A great little nod to Gildor's meeting with Frodo in FotR (the book). Very touching scene, and I do think that for these EEs, less will more for The Hobbit in terms of the extra amount of bonus footage we get. We already have so much expanded stuff in the TE that the EE will just add sparkle to the edges.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Thranderz
Rigger

Jul 31 2013, 9:56am

Post #22 of 101 (1127 views)
Shortcut
Indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was such a heart-warming scene. The way Elrond says 'Mm' and then the look on his face when Bilbo says Frodo's line about council of elves! Brilliant acting, I love it!

DuBekar
Cabin Boy

Jul 31 2013, 10:01am

Post #23 of 101 (1275 views)
Shortcut
Youtube clip [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.youtube.com/...w9JQQC0KsoqOQFPi8zNQ

here you all go :)

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuivičnen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

QuackingTroll
Quartermaster

Jul 31 2013, 10:08am

Post #24 of 101 (1180 views)
Shortcut
It's way too slow and in one of the most boring parts of the film [In reply to] Can't Post

When Rivendell happened, people just wanted the dwarves to get on with their adventure, so extending it with a rather pointless dialogue exchange doesn't really do it any favours.

That being said, it's a great foreshadowing of why Bilbo decides to retire in Rivendell later. So it's cool to see for those who understand it and are more patient. But no way is it necessary neither does it really add anything.

LadyEmmaE
Powder Monkey

Jul 31 2013, 10:22am

Post #25 of 101 (1082 views)
Shortcut
I'm trying not to watch it aswell [In reply to] Can't Post

Before AUJ came out, I watched too many clips and spoiled it for myself.

I refuse to spoil myself any further Laugh I still can't believe we're only getting 13 minutes though; I was expecting at least 25 Frown

Come with me and you'll be...in a world of pure imagination!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.