Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Eggses
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Eggses
Fried
Scrambled
Boiled
Raw
None - I hate Eggses
Other
View Results (61 votes)

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 30 2013, 4:09pm

Post #26 of 54 (394 views)
Shortcut
In my defense, they were cheap AND tasty AND easy to cook ... as a college student ... [In reply to] Can't Post

and so I think I ate about 10 +/- 2 each weak (between 8 and 12) - I liked to have 2 hard-boiled each morning when I wasn't road-tripping - and on road-trips it was far cheaper to get the eggilicious breakfast sandwich by hitting a drive-thru in the A.M. than going for a pricier (but still cholesterol-laden) lunch option (especially if there were coupons involved).

I suspect that the healthy limits depend on what you eat your eggs with (hash browns? coca-cola? fruit? OJ? coffee? bacon? veggies and salsa?), exercise, and family history for cholesterol-related problems etc.

Now - I am down to maybe 2 each week (and some weeks none). The last 2 months, it was basically a big goose-egg for the eggsies for me because I was on a diet to fit in a dress for a family wedding (that worked - whew - I swear that they tricked me and gave me one that was at least 2 sizes smaller than the one I tried on ... but by the day I had to wear it I had no problem - my weight can fluctuate ... erm ... widely - and so does my diet, in fact)

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 8:41pm

Post #27 of 54 (386 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is a fungus amongus [In reply to] Can't Post

but they hang around the vegetable scene with considerable stature. Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 11:51pm

Post #28 of 54 (389 views)
Shortcut
I did used to love them over pancakes! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
With a nice runny yolk - then you let the yolk run down the pancakes, as if it were syrup, and sop it up with each bite of pancake and egg white...yum!

Uh, why are you looking at me strangely? Angelic

Omelets are also great. I like lots of veggies in mine. Smile

But now its egg whites for me. My cholesterol is fine but from a calorie perspective its no yolk... Wink

They are great with peppers, red onions and mushrooms with some light swiss cheese. A splurge of turkey bacon now and then.

angelclaw
Bree

Jul 31 2013, 3:14am

Post #29 of 54 (376 views)
Shortcut
No eggs for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Since going vegan several years ago. But I do make a mean scrambled tofu (seriously, you wouldn't laugh if you tried it!) with jalapenos, green onions, mushrooms, fake bacon, soy cheese (Daiya is the only brand that melts right) and special seasonings Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 31 2013, 3:31am

Post #30 of 54 (380 views)
Shortcut
I used to make scrambled tofu [In reply to] Can't Post

but I kind of cheated and used a bit of that powdered seasoning that comes in ramen packets.

But I would saute up the veggies just like for scrambled eggs and then squeeze the tofu between my fingers to crumble it.

When my kids were little, they liked tofu better than meat because meat was chewy and tofu was soft. But as they've grown, they've lost their taste for it.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2013, 4:54am

Post #31 of 54 (425 views)
Shortcut
I usually eat scrambled, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm craving an egg sammich right nowEvil.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 31 2013, 3:30pm

Post #32 of 54 (369 views)
Shortcut
I love eggs! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not keen on fried eggs, but other than that, you pretty much can't do anything wrong with eggs.

I especially like a nice poached egg in Eggs Benedict. Yum!

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 4:00pm

Post #33 of 54 (364 views)
Shortcut
Never tried eggs raw like *that* [In reply to] Can't Post

...but we put raw eggs in homemade ice cream, so that's a pretty good use of wet, crunchy little eggses there, isn't it? Cool

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 7:14pm

Post #34 of 54 (372 views)
Shortcut
An excellent use! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet Gramma would agree with you :-)

Eldorion
Rohan

Jul 31 2013, 8:38pm

Post #35 of 54 (420 views)
Shortcut
I used to barely ever eat eggs for the longest time... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but I swear by scrambled eggs nowadays. It's also one of the few breakfast foods I enjoy enough to learn how to make on my own (seeing as I usually eat bagels or pop-tarts or other extremely-simple-to-prepare foods).

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Aug 1 2013, 12:31am

Post #36 of 54 (358 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of Eggses [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember reading somewhere that JRR Tolkien raised a few laying hens at one point in time. As a chicken breeder/fancier I would love to know more! Does anyone have any ideas?

angelclaw
Bree

Aug 1 2013, 1:51am

Post #37 of 54 (349 views)
Shortcut
It's somewhere in his letters... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't find it again at the moment, but I actually just read about that last night! He mentions one of his chickens died, he even says the breed but not knowing much about those things myself I can't remember what it was. Something Red? It was two words that started with an R, I think. It's somewhere during the writing of LOTR, in the early or mid 1940's I think. I read through about a decade and a half last night so it's all kind of a blur right now.

cats16
Valinor

Aug 1 2013, 2:46am

Post #38 of 54 (368 views)
Shortcut
Mmm...eggses... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll say scrambled, but I'll take 'em over-easy just as...er...easy. Wink

I read the one option "None. I hate eggses." in the most serious Gollum voice ever lol!!!Laugh It took me a second to gather myself, but I'm good now.

Ugh, now I'm really craving some eggs. The pancake option sounds delicious, though I can't say I've done it...maybe by mistake, but not intentionally.
Smile

Yngwulff
Gondor

Aug 1 2013, 3:48am

Post #39 of 54 (344 views)
Shortcut
any but raw [In reply to] Can't Post

Poached is good too

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Aug 1 2013, 12:25pm

Post #40 of 54 (360 views)
Shortcut
Thanks I will have a look... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that it would be neat to have the same breed as my favorite author!

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 2 2013, 3:57pm

Post #41 of 54 (321 views)
Shortcut
Oh, yeah! [In reply to] Can't Post

(Poor Joe.)

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 2 2013, 4:01pm

Post #42 of 54 (312 views)
Shortcut
There is a Road Island Red breed, [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can't imagine what that would be doing in England! Sly

Darkstone
Immortal

Aug 2 2013, 5:32pm

Post #43 of 54 (313 views)
Shortcut
A lot of Saturday and Sunday mornings... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I make them for Wifey for breakfast. She loves them covered with grated cheese and real bacon bits.

She won't make them for herself. If she gets up first she usually makes Eggs Benedict, which is good too.

Sometimes we'll go out to a nearby breakfast buffet. All-you-can-eat bacon with ham and cheese quiche is just this side of heaven.

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 2 2013, 8:26pm

Post #44 of 54 (316 views)
Shortcut
The Rhode Island Red [In reply to] Can't Post

is well known all around the world. Have a look here for more info.
They are a great breed. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 2 2013, 8:28pm

Post #45 of 54 (307 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of horsies [In reply to] Can't Post

Lightfoot, is that you on that lovely grey?

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Aug 3 2013, 2:01pm

Post #46 of 54 (305 views)
Shortcut
yes that is me.. [In reply to] Can't Post

on Goose my 10 year old Thoroughbred gelding. He is a super talented jumper and we love eventing competitions. He is one of my seven horses. Wink Speaking of horseies is the foal one of yours or just an adorable picture you found?

(This post was edited by Lightfoot on Aug 3 2013, 2:02pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 1:02am

Post #47 of 54 (306 views)
Shortcut
Seven horses! [In reply to] Can't Post

That must keep you very busy indeed. Do you have time to do anything else? And do you compete a lot? Questions, questions...Laugh Goose looks great. I've always had a soft spot for greys.
The foal in the photo is definitely not mine. I think the photo was taken in Montana (it's a National Geographic one).
I haven't ridden for many years now, and I haven't had my own horse for a long time either. Frown
Living in the city with a very demanding and time-consuming job makes it look unlikely that I will be mucking out a paddock any time soon. But you can't take the horsieness out of the girl, and I still consider all things horsie as one of my enthusiasms in life. Smile
We should get all the people with equine avatars together in one thread. That would look very cool! Cool

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 4 2013, 1:48am

Post #48 of 54 (317 views)
Shortcut
Super Chicken! [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea. Makes me think of these: https://www.google.com/search?q=extraordinary+chickens&client=firefox-a&hs=PDU&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=CLL9UeiHBbG54AOfnoCABg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1425&bih=855

Do you have any chickens, or do your neighbors?

I'm sure Midgie would love them.

Angelic

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 4 2013, 4:00am

Post #49 of 54 (307 views)
Shortcut
I am very interested in poultry [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have any of my own, but it was a great enthusiasm of my mother's, and I grew up surrounded by many feathered friends. Anything to do with poultry also makes me think of her, which is a very nice thing. Smile And free range eggs from your own chooks can never be beaten, that's for sure.
I remember taking one of my hens to school for my 'morning talk' at school. She was a lovely little tame bantam / game fowl mix called Notoes ( she was missing some if I recall correctly). She sat on the desk and listened attentively to my highly informative presentation. Laugh

Lightfoot
Rivendell

Aug 4 2013, 12:53pm

Post #50 of 54 (287 views)
Shortcut
I know seven is a lot... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I love them all! I am lucky enough to be able to spend several hours a day with them- after all they live in my back yard just a few yards away from my window! Yes I still have time to do many other things ( high school, 4-H, reading, and a whole bunch of other animals) although some days I have to squeeze a little it fit everything inCool
I compete mostly in 4-H shows so about 8 or so a year. Shows get rather stressful so I don't do too many. I also do a lot of trail riding, dressage, and a lot of pleasure riding with all the others. I can't imagine living without horses, it must be awfulFrown

It would be neat to have a horse themed thread going along with the equine avatars SlyGreat Idea!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.