Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2013, 12:40pm

Post #1 of 37 (425 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

Tell us about them here!

"The Hobbits bowed low. 'Most gracious host', said Frodo, 'It was said to me by Elrond Half-Elven that I should find friendship upon the way, secret and unlooked for. Certainly I have found no such friendship as you have shown. To have found it turns evil to great good."

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 29 2013, 1:20pm

Post #2 of 37 (216 views)
Shortcut
Red 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

We (myself and my sainted wife Tayna) went to see Red 2 and a good time was had by both of us. It was almost as enjoyable as the first film, but how can you give a high-powered weapon to Helen Mirren or show her in phone conversation with a close friend while disposing of a corpse and not have a good time?

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Patty
Immortal

Jul 29 2013, 1:50pm

Post #3 of 37 (222 views)
Shortcut
The Incredible Hulk, with Edward Norton [In reply to] Can't Post

This is probably the weakest in the Marvel universe resurgence. Quite a bit of action, but no really good plot. Interesting to see Arwen with glasses. Sly

Permanent address: Into the West

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2013, 3:31pm

Post #4 of 37 (202 views)
Shortcut
Red 2; RIPD; 42 [In reply to] Can't Post

Red 2 was fun - not quite as funny as 1,only because the premise was not new. Helen Mirren shines in this and Malkovich was toned down from the first one. I missed the pink pig though.

RIPD was okay, I love Jeff Bridges but he was still channeling Rooster Cogburn, and I couldn't understand most of what he said. Ryan Reynolds was a sweetie. Kevin Bacon was very good, and seemed to be having the most fun of all of them.

Caught 42 on pay-per-view -- I really liked it. Great baseball movie.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 29 2013, 3:40pm

Post #5 of 37 (216 views)
Shortcut
'The Moon Rising' [In reply to] Can't Post

It was in 3-D with surround sound, with light breezes even. It was long about 5 hours, no intermission though. It seemed so real..........

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jul 29 2013, 4:17pm

Post #6 of 37 (208 views)
Shortcut
Star Trek- Into Darkness [In reply to] Can't Post

Good, not great. There's potential for great chemistry between these characters but it's not there yet. Lots of insider references to the originals, which drew chuckles for those of us in the audience who remember those and stares of "huh, what'd I miss" from the rest of the audience.

Movie etiquette ranting moment -- if you go to a theater to watch a movie... watch the movie... don't narrate it, don't text, don't play a video game...sheez rent the darn thing or stream it and watch it at home and do all of those things.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 29 2013, 5:01pm

Post #7 of 37 (212 views)
Shortcut
The Wolverine [In reply to] Can't Post

I managed to go see The Wolverine, which by itself surprised me, since I initially had no intention of seeing this film. I usually steer clear of movies whose raison d'ętre revolves around killing and increasingly spectacular - and unbelievable - action sequences with characterizations secondary or non-existent. As far as unbelievable action sequences go, that chase on the top of the train in The Lone Ranger was pretty ridiculous, but compared to The Wolverine, The Lone Ranger was a documentary!

The Wolverine and ninjas and yakuza, oh my! It was completely over the top and entertaining all the way. And the scene of the bombing of Nagasaki was devastating. As brief as it was, it is not something I ever want to witness again.

And okay, I have to confess, the real reason I went to The Wolverine was to see Hugh Jackman who is, in my estimation, total eye-candy. Yes, yes, I know, he can act and sing too. But let's admit it, ladies...when a guy looks like that - who cares?!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 29 2013, 8:11pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Jul 29 2013, 5:18pm

Post #8 of 37 (202 views)
Shortcut
Started a little African Wildlife collection [In reply to] Can't Post

for times when they aren't on TV for a while. I like watching the better ones occasionally.

First, something new - BBC's Africa. Spectacular scenery of the whole continent, and a good general survey of the wildlife. My favorite parts were the Rhinos in moonlight, the dash of the newborn green turtles, and the silver ants in the Sahara. Probably the best collection covering the continent as a whole.

Then two rewatches - the Jouberts' classic Eternal Enemies: Lions and Hyenas (the one famous for the footage near the end of Ntchwaidumela's pursuit and killing of the second Southern Hyena pack Queen) and their Eye of the Leopard, which has probably passed Beauty and the Beasts as my favorite leopard documentary. I have their Lions of Darkness (the one known for the saga of Tau the Cub) on order as a double feature with Walking with Lions.

I'll probably get one more to tide me over - it's just a matter of which. I could keep going on with the Jouberts, but they film in Botswana and I should probably finish up with something from the Serengeti for variety. I'd like something with Cheetahs, but Cheetahs: Against All Odds, which many people seem to consider the best Cheetah documentary, is not on DVD yet. There's Elephants, but to go with the Jouberts' Reflections on Elephants or the BBC's collection about Amboseli's Echo and her family? I could also wait to see if the BBC's marvelous Big Cat Diary is finally released in Region 1. So many choices!

Patty
Immortal

Jul 29 2013, 6:26pm

Post #9 of 37 (189 views)
Shortcut
Haha, Sil...you had me there at first! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm always on the lookout for new 3-D movies and I thought you were serious!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 29 2013, 7:33pm

Post #10 of 37 (184 views)
Shortcut
Constantine. [In reply to] Can't Post

A movie where Keanu's underplaying works perfectly - but let's face it; Although she has only two scenes, Tilda Swinton steals the film.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elutherian
Rohan

Jul 29 2013, 8:32pm

Post #11 of 37 (171 views)
Shortcut
The Wolverine [In reply to] Can't Post

Great film. Definitely blows Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel out of the water.

And the end-credits scene.... I had a total Geek-Out moment. Laugh

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 29 2013, 9:16pm

Post #12 of 37 (166 views)
Shortcut
The Way. [In reply to] Can't Post

A quiet, thoughtful film, suffused with gentle warmth, and one that we're still talking about days later. Lovely.

Also watched all three seasons of "Kingdom", starring Stephen Fry. Delightful. I just wish the story arc could have been completed, rather than the series being cancelled after Season 3's cliff-hanger ending.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 29 2013, 9:18pm

Post #13 of 37 (160 views)
Shortcut
This IS serious stuff, high drama here Patty! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is where the Clethra is coming to bloom *stiff, sniff*.
No commcials, so this is where i had to put it on hold to go tap the gaffer's ale barrel and grab a seed cake...or three.Angelic

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
— J.R.R. Tolkien

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 29 2013, 9:44pm

Post #14 of 37 (176 views)
Shortcut
"42", "Harvey", also a BBC show on Atilla the Hun [In reply to] Can't Post

"42" is a biography of Jackie Robinson. Uncle Baggins got choked up several times. I had a harder time getting into it because the writing irked me. There was a "big reveal" at the end about why the owner wanted to bring black players onto the team, but I was irritated that they made it such a secret. It would have been more effective for me if we'd had some idea all along what his motivation was. Anyway, the acting was very good by all concerned, and especially Harrison Ford as the owner. I actually didn't recognize him for the first half hour or so. Best line: "Jackie Robinson is a Methodist. I'm a Methodist. God's a Methodist."

One thing I thought was cool was that on the DVD, the ads for other movies included Superman and Batman and other superhero movies, which I thought was appropriate. Jackie Robinson was a superhero in his own way.

Then we rented the old classic "Harvey", with Jimmy Stewart. Uncle Baggins had somehow made to the age of 62 without ever seeing it. And it had probably been 40 years since I'd seen it, so we both enjoyed it immensely.

And we watched a BBC show on Atilla the Hun, which had pretty amazing production values for a TV documentary. I didn't know much about him, except what I learned from reading Tolkien's "Sigurd and Gudrun", where he's one of the characters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jul 29 2013, 9:45pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 29 2013, 11:05pm

Post #15 of 37 (153 views)
Shortcut
Lovely moon shot! [In reply to] Can't Post

And you should be getting yourself ready to view the Persiad meteorite shower, very soon.

With the exception of last year, it always seems to cool off during the time of this meteorite shower. I remember going out to watch it one year and having to wear a coat!

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jul 29 2013, 11:10pm

Post #16 of 37 (148 views)
Shortcut
It would have been better without that gimmicky high frame rate.// [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Valinor

Jul 29 2013, 11:41pm

Post #17 of 37 (155 views)
Shortcut
"Let me give you one of my cards." // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 12:56am

Post #18 of 37 (146 views)
Shortcut
Cooling is good usually. [In reply to] Can't Post

It clears the air of hum-a-dity and keeps the skies clear as well. And the skitters. It is fun to scoot under a blanket together with a nice pillow or two:).

— J.R.R. Tolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 30 2013, 1:43am

Post #19 of 37 (144 views)
Shortcut
Sounds great! [In reply to] Can't Post

And looks great, too! Do you think it will still be playing in two weeks? Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 2:24am

Post #20 of 37 (123 views)
Shortcut
Blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-blink-nuts...i think i missed one:-I \\ [In reply to] Can't Post

— J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 2:36am

Post #21 of 37 (127 views)
Shortcut
It depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

Each night the show starts later by about 40 minutes.....How late can who stay up? Laugh

— J.R.R. Tolkien

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jul 30 2013, 3:30am

Post #22 of 37 (138 views)
Shortcut
agree about Jackman [In reply to] Can't Post

and will see Wolverine as soon as my schedule, my budget and the theater align....hoping it's soon.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jul 30 2013, 4:58am

Post #23 of 37 (135 views)
Shortcut
Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm working on it... though reality wins more than I'd like. We all need a Harvey.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 7:50am

Post #24 of 37 (134 views)
Shortcut
So I take it I am the only one in the world [In reply to] Can't Post

who doesn't understand the fuss about Hugh Jackman? I actually find him really unattractive. Crazy

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 7:57am

Post #25 of 37 (117 views)
Shortcut
Jiro Dreams of Sushi [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched this rather lovely documentary about 85 year old sushi master Jiro Ono, who runs a sushi restaurant in Tokyo which has three (count 'em) Michelin stars. It's about him, his quest for perfection in his work, and his philosophies about work, life, and family. It also looks ahead to the future, and the pressures that are on his eldest son, who will eventually take over from him.

Highly recommended.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.