Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Phial of Galadriel in DOS and TABA ... *possible minor spoilers*

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 29 2013, 5:25pm

Post #1 of 20 (1384 views)
Shortcut
The Phial of Galadriel in DOS and TABA ... *possible minor spoilers* Can't Post

Not sure if anyone has ever asked this (or if it's been answered), but what ever happened to the promotional image of Galadriel holding the phial from 'An Unexpected Journey'?
Before seeing AUJ, I thought it might feature somehow in the film but since it didn't, I had discarded that image as just another promotional poster that didn't exactly represent that actual contents of the film ...

Nontheless, I kept thinking about its possible use in the next two films.

Could this be an indication that it will be used in DOS or TABA when the White Council attacks Dol Guldur? Perhaps as a means to 'pierce' through the lingering darkness within ...

And I'm very curious if PJ will want to make yet another connection with 'The Return of the King' and Frodo's encounter with Shelob ... perhaps a particular scene that involves spiders in Dol Guldur and the use of the phial ...?

Pure speculation of course, but I'm just curious as to how they might find a use for it, since they included it as part of the posters for the first film. Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 29 2013, 6:26pm

Post #2 of 20 (655 views)
Shortcut
I always feel that the scene between Gandalf and Galadriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel was supposed to give Gandalf the phial. But I don't know why or how it would help them in any way.

Rostron2
Gondor

Jul 29 2013, 7:09pm

Post #3 of 20 (581 views)
Shortcut
C'mon [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just a perfume ad.

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 29 2013, 7:10pm

Post #4 of 20 (554 views)
Shortcut
I knew it! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Illuminance" by the Mariner... enlighten your night/Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 29 2013, 7:11pm)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 29 2013, 8:34pm

Post #5 of 20 (467 views)
Shortcut
I just hope she'll use her Ring too...// [In reply to] Can't Post

http://energyfromthorium.com/

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 29 2013, 11:21pm

Post #6 of 20 (378 views)
Shortcut
use her ring to do what? [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 12:13am

Post #7 of 20 (361 views)
Shortcut
Just a guess... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling that xxxyyy wants to see Galadriel bring down the walls of Dol Guldur as she does in Tolkien's War of the Ring.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 30 2013, 12:56am

Post #8 of 20 (350 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't that obvious? [In reply to] Can't Post

No?
Smile

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 30 2013, 1:59am

Post #9 of 20 (327 views)
Shortcut
hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

looks like Galadriel is giving us the finger lol

maybe this is PJs way of telling us to stop complaining and enjoy these movies lol

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on Jul 30 2013, 2:00am)

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 30 2013, 2:35am

Post #10 of 20 (306 views)
Shortcut
not by using the ring [In reply to] Can't Post

they were made to preserve not to destroy. Could it somehow help cleanse the blight of Dol Guldor after it's destruction, I would imagine it may possibly be part of what Tolkien had in mind but if I see anything resembling something like what the Green Lantern could do with his ring it will be another "mental adjustment" I have to make to Tolkiens world as told by Sir PJ & Co when viewing these films.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 30 2013, 7:21am

Post #11 of 20 (238 views)
Shortcut
And if she uses the her Ring ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Then it's not much of a secret that she has one, is it?

"There is a secret power here that holds evil from the land"

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 30 2013, 12:36pm

Post #12 of 20 (183 views)
Shortcut
The Walls of Dol Guldur are not a defence structure (even in the movies). [In reply to] Can't Post

The Ring is used to cleanse the land for Sauron's infection.
By using her Ring I meant in the way Tolkien envisioned it, that's why I thought it was pretty clear what I said.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 6:10pm

Post #13 of 20 (129 views)
Shortcut
Not so mujch... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Wasn't that obvious? No?
Smile

Apparently not. You might have meant that you wanted to see Galadriel use the power of her ring to defend the White Council against attack. After all, the proper time to see her bring down the walls of the fortress is around the time of the fall of Barad-dur. And it wasn't by the power of her Elven Ring--this was after the Master Ring had been destroyed.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 6:16pm

Post #14 of 20 (144 views)
Shortcut
The effects of Galadriel's Ring are not spectacular [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Walls of Dol Guldur are not a defence structure (even in the movies). The Ring is used to cleanse the land for Sauron's infection.
By using her Ring I meant in the way Tolkien envisioned it, that's why I thought it was pretty clear what I said.

Tolkien refers to Dol Guldur as a stronghold and a fortresss. While it doesn't seem to have defensive walls in the films, I expect that Professor Tolkien envisioned it a bit differently than Peter Jackson.

See my last post above. Galadriel uses her own power to bring down Dol Guldur, not her Ring.

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 1:57am

Post #15 of 20 (106 views)
Shortcut
Too much. Why would Gandalf need her Phail? Not saying he couldn't [In reply to] Can't Post

make good use of it, but I think it better to keep as far as possible from suggesting that The Wizards' artifacts of power are gifts from The Elves.

In Reply To
Galadriel was supposed to give Gandalf the phial. But I don't know why or how it would help them in any way.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 31 2013, 3:46am

Post #16 of 20 (88 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps it's an Epic Phail? [In reply to] Can't Post

Angelic

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2013, 4:13am

Post #17 of 20 (84 views)
Shortcut
Oh, how you phan the phlames [In reply to] Can't Post

of phantasy's phandom with your talk of Epic Phails!

(Whatever that means. I just thought it sounded good. Tongue)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 7:26am

Post #18 of 20 (65 views)
Shortcut
Phanning the phlames is surely prepherable to phalling phlat. Phly, you phools! // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Starling on Jul 31 2013, 7:27am)

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jul 31 2013, 8:31am

Post #19 of 20 (70 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but that might be an Epic Phallacy... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I have to stop my mind boggling at the thought of Thorin's Epic Phallacy. Evil

Meanwhile, don't phorget to phlee phrom Phlames of Udun, and especially phrom Phurnaces with Wings!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 31 2013, 9:11am

Post #20 of 20 (78 views)
Shortcut
Phar out [In reply to] Can't Post

I never got beyond the end of your phirst sentence.
Need to go and phan my phace.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.