Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who did you find the scariest?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Who did you find the scariest?
Sackville-Bagginses
Ring wraiths
Farmer Maggot
Old Man Willow
The Watcher
Orcs
Cave troll
Durin's Bane
Saruman
Fell Beasts
Gollum/Smeagol
Grima
Shelob
Sauron's eye
Mouth of Sauron
Denethor
Wargs
Oliphaunts
I'm a fan of EVERYONE!
Legolas' changing eye-colour trick freaked me out
The Ring
Other
View Results (132 votes)

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 10 2013, 1:08pm

Post #1 of 26 (466 views)
Shortcut
Who did you find the scariest? Can't Post

Who did you find the most terrifying, frightening and bone-chilling?

I voted for Ring Wraiths, Old Man Willow and Denethor.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 3:33pm

Post #2 of 26 (288 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't the eye color changing that freaked me out [In reply to] Can't Post

it was his bizarre gymnastic abilities... that remount during the warg attack on the way to Helm's Deep was shoulder wrenching..... and then there is the problem of his directional abilities.

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Jul 10 2013, 3:36pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 10 2013, 3:41pm

Post #3 of 26 (271 views)
Shortcut
The Watcher [In reply to] Can't Post

Cephalopods have always creeped me out. I blame a 1958 episode of Sea Hunt, "Mark of the Octopus". I was 5.

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Jul 10 2013, 3:41pm)

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 10 2013, 5:37pm

Post #4 of 26 (245 views)
Shortcut
Ring-wraiths by far [In reply to] Can't Post

They were scariest to me in the Shire when they were tracking and pursuing in what was supposed to be a happy, safe land. After that, the whole world seemed dangerous, so they weren't as scary, but scary enough.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 5:40pm

Post #5 of 26 (255 views)
Shortcut
That Orc-captain with the whip [In reply to] Can't Post

in ROTK - who shoves Sam and Frodo into the Orc company. When he turns and growls "Don't you know WE'RE AT WAR!" and has those freaky all-pupil black eyes... creepy!!!!!!

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 5:57pm

Post #6 of 26 (241 views)
Shortcut
that is called.... [In reply to] Can't Post

... a telson.

just kidding.

it's called aniridia.

true story.

cheers --

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 6:05pm

Post #7 of 26 (231 views)
Shortcut
Those telsons and aniridias... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I always confuse them...Wink

(Actually, probably why it always creeps me out so much is my job- in a patient fixed and dilated means brain death. A stomach-tightening sight upon exam.)

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 6:07pm

Post #8 of 26 (244 views)
Shortcut
a gentle suggestion [In reply to] Can't Post

... though we can do nothing about fixed and dilated pupils in humans signifying brain death,

... perhaps we can just think of anaridia in orcs as an indication of their betazoid heritage.

cheers --

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jul 10 2013, 6:09pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 6:19pm

Post #9 of 26 (214 views)
Shortcut
Great point Telpemairo - wasn't that the final explanation of Orc origins? // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

... perhaps we can just think of anaridia in orcs as an indication of their betazoid heritage.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 10 2013, 7:29pm

Post #10 of 26 (217 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo going Gollumesque with Ring-rage. [In reply to] Can't Post

I jumped when he lunged at Frodo.

The Ringwraiths were a disappointment to me - I got none of the fear that they generated in the books.

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Jul 10 2013, 8:56pm

Post #11 of 26 (212 views)
Shortcut
Shelob [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm frightened of even relatively small spiders in real life so Shelob was terrifying the first time I saw the film.

Not looking forward to the spider sequence in The Hobbit!

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 11:25pm

Post #12 of 26 (194 views)
Shortcut
LOL...cough! \\ [In reply to] Can't Post

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2013, 11:46pm

Post #13 of 26 (203 views)
Shortcut
I'm with Ataahua here. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo really caught me off guard when I saw his face do that. I know it's there in the text, but I didn't exactly have that in my mind. With the teeth, and that noise...Wink

That would be my most frightening, and for bone-chilling, I'd say the Ring Wraiths (from both films and books, but especially books). The idea of them actually getting on the ground, moving side to side, and searching for the Ri...yeah, it's a little creepy when I picture it in my head. I felt better when the films kept them on their various "steeds", for the most part. Or, at the least, they remained upright and not slumped on the ground. Also, I realize I agree with both of Ataahua's points. By feeling more comfortable with the Ringwraiths in the films, I lost much of that fear I get from the books. But, oh well.

Side note- I see I've finally made it into Lorien. I suppose only time will tell if I linger there as long as I did in Rivendell. But I think I ate too many of Elrond's chips...sorry Ori. Tongue

(This post was edited by cats16 on Jul 10 2013, 11:52pm)

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 10 2013, 11:51pm

Post #14 of 26 (188 views)
Shortcut
It was the thought of being dumped on... [In reply to] Can't Post

by the oliphaunts, and then waiting for the following size associated dung beetles.

Heatherleawv
Bree

Jul 11 2013, 2:36am

Post #15 of 26 (177 views)
Shortcut
Gonna [In reply to] Can't Post

have to go with the Ring Wraiths, they were very creepy. Although Bilbo going all Gollum was super creepy as well.
I found the Mouth of Sauron more obnoxious and gross rather than scary. Smile

zarabia
Grey Havens

Jul 11 2013, 6:45am

Post #16 of 26 (178 views)
Shortcut
Ring wraiths, but only in FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

On their horses, sniffing, hissing, and shrieking - oh that scream/shriek! *shivers* - they were absolutely bone-chilling! But somehow on their fell beasts they looked...meh Unimpressed Oh, except when the one rises above Frodo in Osgiliath - that was wonderfully scary. Shocked

I was also impressed by the Uruk Hai in FOTR - very intimidating! And the Moria orcs were ever so creepy! But the other orcs, and even the Uruk Hai in TTT, seemed campy rather than scary. I find "monsters" are scarier when they keep their cake-holes shut.

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 11 2013, 3:25pm

Post #17 of 26 (154 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, I forgot about that part... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I admit I was going mostly by the books when I made the list, Blush apart from Legolas and his eyes. Otherwise, yes, I agree; that part still makes me jump when I FotR.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 11 2013, 5:29pm

Post #18 of 26 (211 views)
Shortcut
I was going to say Bilbo too. That scene was a heart-stopper! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Fredeghar Wayfarer
Lorien

Jul 12 2013, 11:40pm

Post #19 of 26 (147 views)
Shortcut
I too have to go with Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

Many of the creatures in the movies were suitably scary-looking. But I was expecting them to be so they didn't genuinely frighten me. I was impressed by the costume designs, the makeup, the special effects, etc. and didn't really have any jump-out-of-your-seat moments...

...until Bilbo went crazy with Ring-rage and made that face. Sweet, loveable Bilbo was the last person I expected to scare me, which is precisely why he did.

In terms of being impressed by a scary design or slightly creeped out, I would give that to Durin's Bane, the Mouth of Sauron, and the Ringwraith shriek.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2013, 6:23am

Post #20 of 26 (143 views)
Shortcut
Book or movie? And which movie? [In reply to] Can't Post

For book, I chose Other: Barrow Wight. That is one scary dude. Also Old Man Willow.
For Bakshi/Rankin-Bass movie I chose the Ringwraiths. I had to leave the movie theater, I was so scared of them. "But you read the books!" said my mom, who thought I was nuts. My imagination was no match for the animators'.
I forgot to vote for scariest PJ movie character, but I'd say the Balrog.

Lothwen
Rivendell

Jul 13 2013, 7:51am

Post #21 of 26 (128 views)
Shortcut
Whichever you want [In reply to] Can't Post

I made the list going by the book, (and yes, forgot about the Barrow Wight. Blush He/it was pretty scary) but most of the votes are going by PJ's movies. So it's up to you.

Faenoriel
Tol Eressea

Jul 13 2013, 1:59pm

Post #22 of 26 (124 views)
Shortcut
Sauron's absence. He was everywhere and nowhere// [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 28 2013, 1:39pm

Post #23 of 26 (76 views)
Shortcut
Gollum in The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

As he turns and looks at Bilbo when he realizes the missing Ring is now in Bilbo's pocketsessesss.... So jolting! I verbally whispered, "Wow!"

13thHour
Rivendell

Jul 28 2013, 4:56pm

Post #24 of 26 (91 views)
Shortcut
Book or Movie or what? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm assuming we're talking about the movie here. I voted for Shelob because I knew it was coming and I dreaded it throughout all 3 films.

In the book, Old Man Willow is pretty scary, to me, because he's like a malevolent force of nature. If Tom hadn't shown up, all would have been lost before it really began.

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Aug 2 2013, 4:12pm

Post #25 of 26 (54 views)
Shortcut
At first glance, [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was some "hero movie": "Mark of the Octopus" "Marcellus of the Romans" "Chingis of the Mongols." Wink

I was 2, so I missed it. But the sight of my brother eating a plateful of tiny squid and octopuses (octopodes?) with the tentacles hanging out of his mouth certainly did me in.

The Watcher is a close second to the Nazgul for me.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.