Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What kind of Tolkien fan are you? /
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: What kind of Tolkien fan are you? /
Universalist: We are all brothers and sisters in the Fellowship of Tolkien.
Taoist: The Tolkien that can be read is not the eternal Tolkien.
Purist: There is but one text and that is Tolkien.
Charismatic: There is but one text and that is Tolkien and I am his interpreter.
Fundamentalist: I hate PJ and Tolkien hates PJ!
Tolkieno-Fascist: Tolkien is Great! Die PJ Worshipper!!!
View Results (107 votes)

Isabel
The Shire

Jan 19 2008, 3:13pm

Post #26 of 48 (307 views)
Shortcut
I used to be a Purist [In reply to] Can't Post

But then when i saw the movies i was blown away, except for the 2 towers, i mean the ring is going to Gondor??? What the hell??? (yeah that was me on the movies that day) Blush Anyways, i have to addmit that the movies had this huge impact on me and i'm kinnda of a PJ whorshiper now, of course nothing compares to the books!

So i picked universalist, although when someone comes and tells me oohhhh the lord of the rings is amazing i'm a huge fan!! I always go with the good ol' question: Have you read the books? No... Then you are not worth it Laugh(this i actually think to myslef)

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Jan 31 2008, 9:10pm

Post #27 of 48 (268 views)
Shortcut
I'm a Universalist . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Never will a day come when we break bonds of Fellowship . . .

Tyler
Lorien

Jan 31 2008, 9:23pm

Post #28 of 48 (274 views)
Shortcut
Universalist here to! [In reply to] Can't Post

Woot go us!

Tim
Tol Eressea

Feb 2 2008, 5:07am

Post #29 of 48 (264 views)
Shortcut
There should have been [In reply to] Can't Post

A non-elitist purist selection. Wink

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 12 2008, 5:33pm

Post #30 of 48 (320 views)
Shortcut
Don't get it [In reply to] Can't Post

Why'd I get raked over the coals when you've got the very choices up here that I was accused of saying?

I mean, I was torn apart for using the term 'PJ worshiper', yet I see it right here....

Please, I don't want a flame war either.
Just an observation.

BTW, I don't hate PJ, but think Tolkien would.
To back that up, just read Letter 210, where he tears apart the guy who changes things in the cartoon movie they were going to make around 1958-59.
I certainly do think JRR Tolkien is the authority on Tolkien's work. To me, it's like reading the bible to a Christian. 'God' said it, it's a fact. And, Tolkien is the god of his made up world. Why folks think they can come in & reinterperet the word of god & put their own spin on it is beyond me. But in this age of 'no absolutes', I guess it should not surprise me........

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 13 2008, 5:55pm

Post #31 of 48 (271 views)
Shortcut
There's a difference [In reply to] Can't Post

between name-calling and self-identification. That's probably why you don't get it.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 13 2008, 8:27pm

Post #32 of 48 (277 views)
Shortcut
OK.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand - as long as we don't get started again, OK?

And I DO get your point (finally).....

I wonder if the term 'PJ worshipper' wasn't borrowed from my post?

I didn't notice that date this thread was started, but I made that term up all on my own long ago & it would be odd if it existed independently of my knowledge.

Again, please understand I'm not trying to ignite ANYTHING here & have NO desire for strife......

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Feb 13 2008, 11:15pm

Post #33 of 48 (261 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

I remembered seeing others use it first, and a quick board search confirms it.
The first mention of the term "PJ worshipper" or "PJ worship" occurs on Dec. 31 on Main and in this poll, but the typo "PJ worshipers" appeared in a post by maegwen on Dec. 21, 2007.
Your first mention of "PJ worship" was on Jan. 5, 2008.

This search only works for these new TORn boards, but I'm sure plenty of other people out there would claim that they were the first to coin the term(s). ;)

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 14 2008, 4:07am

Post #34 of 48 (341 views)
Shortcut
OK, But... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to belabor the point, but I've been using it for about 3-4 years on another site. Wink

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 14 2008, 10:16pm

Post #35 of 48 (262 views)
Shortcut
Was it [In reply to] Can't Post

this one?

http://www.council-of-elrond.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4972&page=2

I just did a quick google search on "PJ worshipper" for a lark, and found this discussion from September 2003. ;-)

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 15 2008, 1:28am

Post #36 of 48 (335 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

Another one.....

I think (bet) the name shouldn't be mentioned......

Maybe I didn't even make the name up there but I may have - it was so long ago, I don't remember to tell you the truth, but I certainly brought it here independent of any knowledge of it's existence.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 16 2008, 3:29pm

Post #37 of 48 (243 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

back in 1999, our most vehement purist (who thought the films should not be made at all because it was "raping the book") often said that anyone who wanted the movies to be made had our noses firmly applied to PJ's fundament. So on this board at least, that was the dawn of the concept that any degree of liking for the movies equalled unthinking worship of the director.

A concept that bewildered me; I desperately wanted to see a live-action version, but had a great deal of anxiety over what this unknown Kiwi director might do to it. (I'd desperately wanted to see the Bakshi film, after all . . .)

I finally realized that it wasn't a matter of whether it was true or not; it was just someone insulting those who didn't think the way he thought. Rather like Lobelia telling Frodo that he didn't belong at Bag End because he was a Brandybuck and not a Baggins.

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 16 2008, 6:57pm

Post #38 of 48 (255 views)
Shortcut
Polarity [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the 'PJ Worshipper' Versus 'PJ Hater' debate is similar to what is going on in the USA now in politics where folks are made out to be 'polarized' to far left or (moreso) far right.....

The truth is most are neither & often somewhat a mix of both......

But, there are extremists too. So, when someone like me comes along & says I liked the movies, enjoyed them tremendously,, but say when PJ changed this or that, & can't understand this blaatant exceptance of everythg PJ does as perfect, he's the only man who can possibly do a decent job directing The Hobbit, etc., & I call that 'PJ worship', they jump ugly in defence.

I guess years of fighting have conditioned these folks?

Better to tread softly through the mine field.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 16 2008, 11:57pm

Post #39 of 48 (225 views)
Shortcut
lucky me [In reply to] Can't Post

I've managed to say that PJ didn't get everything right many, many times over the past 7 years without ever provoking an "ugly" response.

(This post was edited by Annael on Feb 17 2008, 12:00am)

Tolkien Forever
Gondor

Feb 17 2008, 3:33am

Post #40 of 48 (214 views)
Shortcut
Deplorable Cultus? [In reply to] Can't Post

You obviously have more tact than I do.....

What's the Deplorable Cultus?

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 17 2008, 4:20am

Post #41 of 48 (240 views)
Shortcut
Us scholars [In reply to] Can't Post

know that is how Tolkien referred to his fans - mostly his fans in the United States.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Feb 17 2008, 4:24am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 17 2008, 3:14pm

Post #42 of 48 (219 views)
Shortcut
Yup. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've stated many times that there was a lot I was disappointed about in the movies, especially in TTT. "Aragorn fell off the cliff? *What*? Faramir took the hobbits to Osgiliath? *What*?" They will never come close to the books in my heart, but I'm still glad to have them, glad of the many amazing visual images. I really don't care who direct The Hobbit. But I've always felt at home stating these opinions here. The person I admire most here *cough* gramma *cough* is probably the biggest PJ fan on the boards. But she has always been warm and loving in her responses to me. As one of my heroes, David Ferenc, once said, back in the 1500s, "We need not think alike to love alike."

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Feb 18 2008, 6:58am

Post #43 of 48 (241 views)
Shortcut
A second to the second second then {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 23 2008, 11:53pm

Post #44 of 48 (153 views)
Shortcut
You know, [In reply to] Can't Post

Auntie is related to Wilson on Tool Time *Bob Hope expression*.
She is also one of the wisest people i have ever known.

Bladorthin
The Shire

Mar 2 2008, 12:20am

Post #45 of 48 (234 views)
Shortcut
I Try to maintain a healthy degree of indifference [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no absolute truth save for the truth you choose to be you own.
At least, in the case of fiction.

elentari3018
Rohan

Apr 8 2008, 2:55pm

Post #46 of 48 (127 views)
Shortcut
And i was scared for a moment that i was the only "charismatic" one. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also agree that i'm not sure with what interpretation I have of the text is-- though i know I appreciate both book and movie though some things drive me up the wall in the movies. :p Tolkien text should be appreciated and respected but i do believe in our own interpretations (via fanfiction for me) of LotR or the Hobbit or any of his other works.

elentari3018
Rohan

Apr 8 2008, 3:01pm

Post #47 of 48 (180 views)
Shortcut
Re: Purist-- [In reply to] Can't Post

Does that mean you are vehement or dislike any other interpretation of Tolkien? PJ's movies, the earlier cartoon adaptations, the radio adaptations? I know purist means that you go strictly by the book but does that signify implications about how much you dislike other mediums conveying the story other than Tolkien?

LEGIONTX
Rivendell

May 5 2009, 2:05am

Post #48 of 48 (143 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe we are all one big, happy familySly

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.