Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Bilbo and the ring plot twist/reveal scenario

Swingcatpdx
The Shire

Jul 27 2013, 10:58pm

Post #1 of 11 (1370 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo and the ring plot twist/reveal scenario Can't Post

On the original trailer we saw a small scene where Bilbo sees the Sword that was broken for the first time. Additionally, briefly standing with Elrond talking.

We know he has now found the ring and used it's powers and it's begun taking immediate hold of him.

Scenario: Bilbo speaking with Elrond and Elrond is explaining the history of the sword and that it is the sword that Isildur cut the one ring from Sauron's very hand. He further explains that Isildur was killed and the ring lost for over 3,000 years. Bilbo realizes the rings "magical" powers. He puts two and two together and surmises that it is in fact THE ONE RING.

Cut to the ending scene of TABA: Bilbo at his desk with the red book in Bag End. The final words of the saga are
"THE RING IS MINE!!!, MY PRECIOUS!!!..............fade to credits, theme music plays.

The net result: BILBO KNEW ALL ALONG!!

(This post was edited by Swingcatpdx on Jul 27 2013, 11:04pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 11:05pm

Post #2 of 11 (697 views)
Shortcut
With all due respect [In reply to] Can't Post

That ending would be terrible Tongue

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 28 2013, 2:42am

Post #3 of 11 (572 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

bad

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

FrogmortonJustice65
Rivendell

Jul 28 2013, 5:17am

Post #4 of 11 (493 views)
Shortcut
Only if M Night shyamalan were directing the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

*vomits*

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 3:16pm

Post #5 of 11 (352 views)
Shortcut
I hope that this is meant in jest. [In reply to] Can't Post

If not then it is really a terrible idea.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

shadowdog
Rohan

Jul 28 2013, 3:49pm

Post #6 of 11 (329 views)
Shortcut
Don't think so [In reply to] Can't Post

Even Gandalf didn't know that the ring was the RING until after he saw how Bilbo was being affected by the ring at his farewell party and Gandalf went off and researched it. He then came back to have Frodo check the ring after it was placed in the fire. I don't think Bilbo ever knew what the ring was.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2013, 7:22pm

Post #7 of 11 (270 views)
Shortcut
even then [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf didn't "know", suspected yes, but he still wasn't completely sure till he threw it in the fire. I agree completely that Bilbo never knew the true nature of the ring.

As to the OP I think they need to leave it being the "one ring" out of the rest of the Hobbit. It IMO has no place what so ever in the story and simply confuses things. Making Gandalf look foolish for not realizing it earlier. I think they have already overplayed the rings true nature... So for me the less said about the ring other than it being a simple magic ring which grants its wearer invisibility, the better

(This post was edited by sinister71 on Jul 28 2013, 7:24pm)

Try-again-later
The Shire

Jul 29 2013, 8:54am

Post #8 of 11 (192 views)
Shortcut
I laughed [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice one Tongue

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 29 2013, 4:10pm

Post #9 of 11 (138 views)
Shortcut
I don't know whether [In reply to] Can't Post

to giggle at the very idea of such a trilogy ending with, "My precious!" or to sit in horrified silence at the idea.

I'm going to assume that this is a joke, therefore, and giggle. Nice one.

On a more serious note, I don't think Elrond would tell Bilbo the whole ramifications about the One Ring, seeing as how neither Bilbo nor Elrond had *any* idea at that point that BIlbo would providentially find it. So Bilbo would then have no way of knowing all along.

Besides, there were lesser rings. It was only once the Ring gave long life that it became known as one of the greater Rings, so it might have taken anyone a while to come to that conclusion. (Of course, there's its effect on Gollum, but BIlbo really had no way of knowing he'd been down there for 500 years.)

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

malickfan
Gondor

Jul 30 2013, 10:02am

Post #10 of 11 (99 views)
Shortcut
No offense... [In reply to] Can't Post

...But that was one of the worst ideas I have ever heard suggested on this forum, even Phillpa Boyens wouldn't stoop that low Wink

The Talking Purse is Awesome, deal with it.

But he isn't quite as aweome as Cirdan.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2013, 10:32pm

Post #11 of 11 (96 views)
Shortcut
I'm offended [In reply to] Can't Post

TongueWinkWink

not really I think its a awful idea as well

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.