Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
oh Daniel... and all you other weather watchers

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 26 2013, 8:59pm

Post #1 of 25 (404 views)
Shortcut
oh Daniel... and all you other weather watchers Can't Post

I've seen mammatus clouds but never this color:

http://io9.com/...ky-we-have-921299210

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Jul 26 2013, 9:00pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 26 2013, 9:30pm

Post #2 of 25 (297 views)
Shortcut
Simply beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

What chance to have the Mammatus form and sunset simultaneously. They can look very storm-like when the sun is obscured.

I'm yet to see Mammatus in real life. I was close to seeing Kelvin-Helmholtz waves the other day, but wind shear wasn't strong enough. It just turned in to a wavey cloud in the end.

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 26 2013, 9:33pm

Post #3 of 25 (290 views)
Shortcut
oh... those wave clouds are beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I've seen those. At least not the strongly formed ones. It's possible I've seen some of the less strongly formed ones.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 27 2013, 2:58am

Post #4 of 25 (274 views)
Shortcut
The waves always start collapsing before I can get a photo. [In reply to] Can't Post

So, I don't have any good pics of those. How about some other clouds instead?

First, the Stripeys:

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jul 27 2013, 2:59am)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 27 2013, 3:15am

Post #5 of 25 (272 views)
Shortcut
Moving on... [In reply to] Can't Post

to the strange, the dramatic, and the mistical:

Okay, I'll for stop now. =)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 3:54am

Post #6 of 25 (278 views)
Shortcut
I will add one [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a Niagra Falls sized falls, actually bigger,

but with clouds. The air is pouring over the palisade like ridge here from the NW and is condensing as it approaches the water. It was in December one year.

Your shots are awesome....Always areSmile

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 27 2013, 9:15am

Post #7 of 25 (261 views)
Shortcut
I love that one! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the same problem as Eowyn - I'm too slow at getting out my camera. Or, I'm driving and can't pull over to take a picture. I was driving one day and was at higher elevation than around me. Down in a valley, there was a rainbow. But instead of seeing a rainbow at 180deg and less like you usually do at ground level, I could see it more than 180deg. I didn't have my camera on my to get a picture.

For someone that likes clouds, I have a rather poor selection.

We did see a very nice sunset while in Wales the other week.

The next two are from Finland. This one shows some fun contrails - there were a couple of planes practicing something in the sky. And this one is the midnight sun, taken exactly at midnight.

I love mist and fog as well. These two pictures (here and here) have a Barrow-downs feel to them - very spooky.

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 12:27pm

Post #8 of 25 (242 views)
Shortcut
Man, the last two give me the willies [In reply to] Can't Post

Shocked Barrow Downs indeed!
The midnight sun shot is really fine but it gives me a strange feeling that it is mid-night. Were you yawning then?
All very nice. The neat thing is there are no two sunrises or sunsets ever alike.

''Sam put his ragged orc-cloak under his master's head, and covered them both with the grey robe of Lorien; and as he did so his thoughts went out to that fair land, and to the Elves, and he hoped that the cloth woven by their hands might have some virtue to keep them hidden beyond all hope in this wilderness of fear...But their luck held, and for the rest of that day they met no living or moving thing; and when night fell they vanished into the darkess of Mordor.'' - - -rotk, chapter III

Faerie contains many things besides elves and fays and besides dwarfs, witches, trolls, giants or dragons; it holds the seas, the sun, the moon, the sky; and the earth, and all things that are one in it: tree and bird, water and stone, wine and bread, and ourselves, mortal men, when we are enchanted."
J.R.R. Tolkien

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 12:54pm

Post #9 of 25 (249 views)
Shortcut
Actually those are the signs of all those heavenly virgins [In reply to] Can't Post

waiting for the martyr bombers to do their...duty.

Those undulatus asperatus clouds are really amazing Magpie. They just do not seem real, as if photo-faking is going on. Sort of like northern lights in cloud form.

Thanks for this.

J.R.R. Tolkien

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 5:28pm

Post #10 of 25 (231 views)
Shortcut
Another cloud picture [In reply to] Can't Post

This one always reminds me of why the Maori name for NZ is Aoteoroa- Land of the Long White Cloud
Taken on the Dart River near Glenorchy. The cloud, in fact, stretched in this linear fashion, much further each way.

The first TORn Amateur Symposium, IS NOW ON from Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Come and join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 5:40pm

Post #11 of 25 (227 views)
Shortcut
And another sunset picture! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I rather like this sunset- this is what it was like- there has been no photoshopping, no special camera tricks etc. This was taken from the place I was staying in Coromandel NZ- they had this view most evenings in the summer

The first TORn Amateur Symposium, IS NOW ON from Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Come and join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 5:41pm

Post #12 of 25 (222 views)
Shortcut
Those Barrow Downs type ones are so atmospheric (and creepy!) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 7:25pm

Post #13 of 25 (228 views)
Shortcut
We had clouds that color a month ago, but not mammatus [In reply to] Can't Post

photo

It was during a storm. A few minutes earlier the sky was a very ominous-looking lemon yellow:

photo

I had never seen a sky that color before. There were the usual forest fires burning in the mountains, so some of the color may have been due to smoke.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Jul 27 2013, 7:27pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 7:32pm

Post #14 of 25 (219 views)
Shortcut
Here's my over-the-rainbow photo. [In reply to] Can't Post

Unfortunately it's not more than about 120 degrees. But it was pretty magical. It was about noon, so the sun was pretty high. It was actually snowing where I was. I looked down in the valley far below and saw a rainbow below my feet.

Over the Rainbow

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 27 2013, 8:14pm

Post #15 of 25 (226 views)
Shortcut
I don't know if you've caught news of any of the red dust storms that have hit Australia [In reply to] Can't Post

they've been pretty impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQdZFllbNX4

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 27 2013, 8:15pm

Post #16 of 25 (218 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for everyone sharing their photos [In reply to] Can't Post

It's kind of nice there are other weather/sky geeks out there. Weather and sky watching has always been kind of a thing with us. :-)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 8:25pm

Post #17 of 25 (217 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's spooky. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea dust storms would be that red.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 9:02pm

Post #18 of 25 (215 views)
Shortcut
Great photos! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw some beautiful lenticular clouds in Scotland back in 2010, right at sunset. Why I didn't pick up the camera and snap a photo I don't know. I guess was just enjoying sitting in the window watching them too much. They really did look like flying saucers!

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 11:06pm

Post #19 of 25 (219 views)
Shortcut
Ok, one more. [In reply to] Can't Post

My son and i were camping up on the ridge by our Amon Hen lookout when he was about 7 and we got up at 1st light and went out there to see what kind of shots we could get. It all turned out quite fine but this 1st one is rather striking in think. .

J.R.R. Tolkien

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 28 2013, 9:40am

Post #20 of 25 (216 views)
Shortcut
One of the most majestic clouds ever [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure using that adjective to describe a cloud is usual, but they really are. If they're stationary lenticular clouds, the way they develop is beautiful. And sometimes you even get lenticular clouds on top of lenticular clouds. They develop over high mountains, so they get them a lot in Scotland. Unsurprisingly, the best I have seen are on South Georgia.

Has anyone ever spotted a fallstreak hole?

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 2:31pm

Post #21 of 25 (207 views)
Shortcut
"Majestic" sounds good to me [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't aware that lenticular clouds occurred frequently in Scotland---all the years we've traveled there, I've only seen them the once. But when I did, they were spectacular. Your photo from South Georgia belongs in a travel guide, with the sea lion and all.

I may have seen a fallstreak hole---I'm blanking right now. I can see where people would Photoshop a picture of one, though, since they're striking.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 3:20pm

Post #22 of 25 (194 views)
Shortcut
Those Fallstreak Holes are amazing Daniel [In reply to] Can't Post

They look quite unworldly. I bet they have spawned legends!

I thought of you when I saw the Arctic news, with the "ice lakes" and the warming cyclone that was coming through.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 28 2013, 5:20pm

Post #23 of 25 (186 views)
Shortcut
I bet we could totally spam this thread. =) [In reply to] Can't Post

After taking a look through just what's on this drive, I know I could.

You've got the first light covered, strikingly. I'll take the late shift.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 1 2013, 11:32am

Post #24 of 25 (190 views)
Shortcut
Psst Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

We saw a Scarlet Tanager in my big blueberry bush this morning! It was bright orange.... We were out early looking at activity on the water and caught this fine happening. It was pretty close to us. I do not ever remember seeing this bird before in the real. We do not have a lot birds here by the water that can be observed due to shyness.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 1 2013, 1:45pm

Post #25 of 25 (167 views)
Shortcut
that must have been thrilling [In reply to] Can't Post

quite colorful. I've never seen one. I like that red.

The key to bird shyness, I think, is being patient and still. Someone was interviewed whose job it is to count birds and he brings a book, picks his spot and reads for a half hour. After that much time of being still, the birds start to resume their regular habits.

We adopted some wildlife this last week.

Someone in the neighborhood was selling produce from their front yard garden and I wanted some chard which isn't sold in the stores here (in any good quality). He also had some dill for a good price so I picked up some of that, too, figuring I'd do a Greek chicken dinner.

But he'd picked the dill and chard the day before and they were getting a little wilty so I stuck them in a tall container of water. They perked up. We at the chard and some of the dill and the rest of the dill remained in the 'vase'.

The next day, I saw two small balls of black and looked closer and realized it was a tiny caterpillar with a white band (making each end look like a separate ball). I was pretty sure I knew what it was and I confirmed it was Black Swallowtail which likes dill. (the first instar of the caterpillar is black and white) The dill is holding out pretty well in the vase but I think we'll go to the market this weekend and see if we can get some more fresh dill for a good price. We don't have pets and only spend money on the birds so keeping this caterpillar alive for three weeks seems like it shouldn't break the bank. :-)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.