Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thorins last scene.... (analysis based on picture from Jacksons blog)

boldog
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 10:15am

Post #1 of 21 (2843 views)
Shortcut
Thorins last scene.... (analysis based on picture from Jacksons blog) Can't Post

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151750784006558&set=a.10150238899061558.364437.141884481557&type=1&theatre
What do you all think this is about? who is the guy in the green suite? Azog perhaps?
If it is Azog, I find it quite weird, that Thorin seems to be ontop of him! The position kind of reminds me of Aragorn when he was speaking to the dying boromir, in FOTR. If this scene IS what I have assumed, I think this might give us some good insight, that Thorin WILL kill Azog. Weather Thorin dies shortly from his wounds inflicted by Azog, or is killed by another (Bolg) we are yet to see. what do you think?

"fingolfin looked up in grief to see what evil morgoth had done to maedhros"

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 10:26am

Post #2 of 21 (1179 views)
Shortcut
I'd say you may be right [In reply to] Can't Post

Although it's not Manu Bennett in the green suit, I can only see it being Azog. In that case, I suspect Thorin will kill him before dying by Bolg's hand.

The trouble with this of course, is that it doesn't really give Dain a big moment in the battle. Thorin will have some measure of triumph at least, but if Bolg is killed by Beorn, as we all hope, then it seems Dain will not get a moment in the battle to convince audiences that he is this badass warrior leader and is fit to be crowned king. Of course, it's possible he might help Thorin kill Azog.

BilboBagshot187
Rivendell

Jul 27 2013, 10:30am

Post #3 of 21 (1415 views)
Shortcut
(HEAVY SPOILERS) I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

...That is definitely Azog, Thorin will kill Azog at the battle of the 5 armies and will perhaps say something to him as he is dieing, Bolg looks over and sees that Thorin has killed his father and will attack Thorin fatally wounding him, Fili and Kili then jump in to try and protect Thorin - however will be overpowered/outnumbered by Bolg and his bodyguards/orcs they are killed. Then Boern shows up and kicks some serious ass, killing Bolg and probably a load of orcs too.

'Everywhere I lie theres a dirty great root sticking into my back!'

boldog
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 10:36am

Post #4 of 21 (1159 views)
Shortcut
Probably right.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.....but in this picture.....https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151749496026558&set=a.10150238899061558.364437.141884481557&type=1&theatre
This I believe is the rehearsel for this epic final confrontation. Someone speculated that it may be in erebor itself! though I like the idea, it actually looks to be outside somewhere.

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 11:01am

Post #5 of 21 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Thorin vs Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

The guy in the green suit might be Gollum ... who knows, he might pop up from around some boulder during the climax of TABA and attack Thorin Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

deskp
Lorien

Jul 27 2013, 11:27am

Post #6 of 21 (1090 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that man in green is anyone significant. He's dwarf sized if anything. Might be some random orc he manages to kill while heavily wounded.

Wouldn't they want new Azog scenes to be shot with Manu in his mocap getup now that they have the option?

boldog
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 11:32am

Post #7 of 21 (1105 views)
Shortcut
What if the dude is Manu?? [In reply to] Can't Post

I cant really tell who he is, because his identity is well hidden. (not to mention his eyes are shut too.)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 11:54am

Post #8 of 21 (1056 views)
Shortcut
It's not [In reply to] Can't Post

He was tweeting from Canada yesterday. I think he's filming Arrow at the minute.

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 27 2013, 12:20pm

Post #9 of 21 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Agree with this [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that it's just a guy in a greensuit rather than an actual mo-cap suit, suggests to me that he's just a random, insignificant CGI character where the CGI will be "painted" on top of him.

Marionette
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 2:28pm

Post #10 of 21 (975 views)
Shortcut
The thing with Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it should be Azog, but look the size of both, Thorin, then again, itīs dwarf.

I guess the size thing will be fixed with CGI or something

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes. So sad it ends, as it began"
Queen

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 4:16pm

Post #11 of 21 (841 views)
Shortcut
I would pay to see this fight! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Eldorion
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 5:30pm

Post #12 of 21 (819 views)
Shortcut
I suspect the guy in the green suit is just an anonymous orc [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ was very clear that he wanted to keep his last day blog as spoiler-free as possible. Showing Thorin fighting a major villain in the climactic battle of the trilogy would be a pretty big spoiler.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jul 28 2013, 7:58am

Post #13 of 21 (607 views)
Shortcut
.... [In reply to] Can't Post

No idea who the guy in the green suit is.

BUT... it is very telling that the final dwarves shooting were Thorin, Fili, and Kili. Those are the three dwarves who die in the battle. The fact Thorin is bloodied just further confirms my suspicions. Their final pick-up shots were of the main characters who die in the film.

That has to be part of the climax of the Battle of Five Armies.

BlackCountry
Rivendell

Jul 28 2013, 3:02pm

Post #14 of 21 (560 views)
Shortcut
Ah so funny.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how people are replying begging Sir Peter to do the Silmarillion. Yeah like that's ever going to happen jeez!! :p

I do not want what it is not mine.... I only want what comes from within....

Vangalad
Lorien

Jul 29 2013, 11:15am

Post #15 of 21 (532 views)
Shortcut
It seems it's Azog after all [In reply to] Can't Post

John Callen shared some insight from the last day of shooting:

On Friday night when we wrapped the “Pick-ups” there was just one actor left on stage. The main unit finished a few moments ahead of us – ThorinĒs last slash at Azog; then with the Splinter Unit Aiden Turner had to do one more take of his final shot, the final shot of the entire two and half years, three films.

http://news.mymiddleearth.com/...d&utm_medium=twitter

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost,
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

flameofudun
Lorien

Jul 29 2013, 8:18pm

Post #16 of 21 (439 views)
Shortcut
So bolg could still thorin right? [In reply to] Can't Post

They could have just filmed that before, when he uploaded that pic of wounded thorin, and then he filmed azogs death, when bolg killing thorin in revenge already happened. After all FILiand kili were wrapping up and we all know they were dying as well. Film works in a weird order, so we r pretty confident bolg will have something to do with thorin a death.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jul 29 2013, 9:30pm

Post #17 of 21 (416 views)
Shortcut
The whole "constant gundabad orc harassment" [In reply to] Can't Post

kind of takes away from the surprise of a Goblin army unexpectedly bearing down from the North don't you think? Even the elves will have been skirmishing with Azog and aware of Orcs in the vicinity, not to mention the people of Lake Town. Sigh.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 29 2013, 10:37pm

Post #18 of 21 (359 views)
Shortcut
Yes but [In reply to] Can't Post

at this point it's always only a small pack of hunter Orcs on Wargs and not more. In TABA we'll have an entire army marching towards Erebor. That's a big difference. As Elrond and Saruman showed us in AUJ, it seems to me that a single Orc pack and a few Wargs isn't such a big deal. Things like that happen from time to time obviously. But according to Elrond there has been peace for 400 years. Although the last Orc army was defeated in TA 2799 at the Battle of Azanulbizar, wasn't it? 142 years before the Battle of Five Armies. So let's say PJ took the dates from Tolkien seriously.. we've got 142 years without large-scaled attacks from Orcs or Goblins.

142 years. That is the lifespan of 4 humans (if you take the average lifespan of 35-40 years from the medieval Europe). Almost 8 generations of men lived and died without being witness of a large-scale Orc invasion/attack. They surely have been victims of small Orc attacks or scavenging but nothing more.

You see? I think there's reason enough to be witness of Azogs Orc pack attacks and still be surprised by an approaching army of thousands of Orcs, Wargs, Trolls, Bats and other evil creatures.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

marillaraina
Rohan

Jul 29 2013, 11:18pm

Post #19 of 21 (332 views)
Shortcut
ah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
John Callen shared some insight from the last day of shooting:

On Friday night when we wrapped the “Pick-ups” there was just one actor left on stage. The main unit finished a few moments ahead of us – ThorinĒs last slash at Azog; then with the Splinter Unit Aiden Turner had to do one more take of his final shot, the final shot of the entire two and half years, three films.

http://news.mymiddleearth.com/...d&utm_medium=twitter

So two of the House of Durin filmed the final two scenes, it seems very fitting somehow. I don't know I'm glad it was them.

Lio
Lorien

Jul 29 2013, 11:52pm

Post #20 of 21 (391 views)
Shortcut
"Last slash" (Spoiler?) [In reply to] Can't Post

This has come up in a couple of other threads and people seem to have taken it to refer to Thorin killing Azog at the Battle of Five Armies.

However, is it really conclusive that Thorin kills Azog? All the post talks about is a "last slash." Maybe how it really plays out is Thorin's last stand, and the slash in question might not even land.

(Yup, I'm in the "Azog kills Thorin, Dain kills Azog" camp. Laugh)

Dwalin Balin Kili Fili Dori Nori Ori Oin Gloin Bifur Bofur Bombur Thorin

Orcs are mammals!

"Don't laugh at the Dwarves because they will mess you up." — Dean O'Gorman (Fili)

Want to chat? AIM me at Yami Liokaiser!

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jul 30 2013, 6:40am

Post #21 of 21 (333 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'm all for thinking positively... [In reply to] Can't Post

and it would be great if PJ would give Dain the honours he deserves...but one can't help feeling that the scriptwriters will go for the popular vote of Thorin getting his revenge on Azog - after all, it's what the average cinema goer will want to see, isn't it?

Sadly, so far Dain seems to be getting shafted in this adaptation, refusing to help Thorin's Quest and possiblyjust turning up to grab the spoils, instead of seemingly earning them with his heroic deeds at Azanulbizar and portrayal as all-round " good guy."

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Ŋ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Jul 30 2013, 6:41am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.