Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A significant image? (Spoilerish)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 27 2013, 8:43am

Post #1 of 45 (2532 views)
Shortcut
A significant image? (Spoilerish) Can't Post

From the Facebook posts on the "last day of shooting" this one seemed particularly significant and poignant to me, especially when coupled with the comment, "2 more shots to go. Main Unit shooting Thorin, Splinter Unit shooting Fili and Kili."

As I recall, the last shots for RotK were of the Aragorn/Arwen wedding (which didn't make the final cut). But I would guess these will!

Comments?

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 27 2013, 8:45am)

flameofudun
Lorien

Jul 27 2013, 9:20am

Post #2 of 45 (1094 views)
Shortcut
Yes I noticed this as well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting. Looks like those charachters ends are definetley in

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 9:58am

Post #3 of 45 (1243 views)
Shortcut
I have an inside source that has told me what Thorin's last word is. [In reply to] Can't Post

flameofudun
Lorien

Jul 27 2013, 10:48am

Post #4 of 45 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just leave us like that? Tell us!

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

dave_lf
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 12:07pm

Post #5 of 45 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd rather not say his name, so let's just call him "JT":

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!"

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 1:20pm

Post #6 of 45 (936 views)
Shortcut
I hope they kind of alter it [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems too anticlimactic, especially for such a dramatic death of a huge character like Thorin. Him just saying "Farewell!" would be kind of laughable. Maybe make it on the level of Boromir's death, give more dialogue onto the scene other than "If more us..." Have Thorin acknowledge Bilbo more.

I know from purists I'll probably get flamed for this, but with the medium, it has to be dramatized instead of falling flat like I felt it did in the book.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 4:14pm

Post #7 of 45 (785 views)
Shortcut
It fell flat? [In reply to] Can't Post

I *still* tear up whenever I read that line in the book! Unsure As for "Farewell," I'm not sure what else there really would be to say when you're dying... Doubtless they'll come up with something, though. As long as that one line is in there...

That being said, I did find Boromir's death in the movie to be one of the most powerfully moving parts in the whole trilogy. *sniff* Changed my opinion of the character entirely.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2013, 4:29pm

Post #8 of 45 (742 views)
Shortcut
Well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

The "Farewell" line is connected to the most poignant line in all of The Hobbit just before it not to mention the paragraph prior to that wherein Bilbo laments the impending loss of the King Under the Mountain as well as his statement of being honored to have been on the quest. It will all fit together as one piece of dialogue I suspect.

I would like to see them explore however the following paragraph after the "farewell" line where Bilbo is commenting to himself about how he "made a mess" of that whole thing with the Arkenstone. I think that line and piece could fit in also to the dialogue between the two and instead of Bilbo saying the lines to himself, have Thorin then say "you can hardly be blamed for that".

Just a thought I was thinking about in working that scene from a writing perspective.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

emre43
Lorien

Jul 27 2013, 4:29pm

Post #9 of 45 (719 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 5:00pm

Post #10 of 45 (737 views)
Shortcut
That little Farewell line..HAS to be in...jus' like.. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Thang You Berry Buch"
from Bilbo in Laketown...

PJ WON'T let us down,
Trust PJ ...

Bomby does

emre43
Lorien

Jul 27 2013, 5:12pm

Post #11 of 45 (678 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 7:36pm

Post #12 of 45 (814 views)
Shortcut
MAJOR SPOILER [In reply to] Can't Post

he looks over Bilbos shoulder seemingly into the distance and utters "Rosebud"

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 7:43pm

Post #13 of 45 (683 views)
Shortcut
SPOILER I feel that Boromirs death dialouge [In reply to] Can't Post

was a successful addition. However Thorins book death dialouge is IMO far more iconic so if they expand it I strongly hope they close it off with his iconic lines from the book. They start the movies successfully with the good morning sequence I only hope they finsh them as well. I know it is not the very last scene but it is so important.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2013, 9:19pm

Post #14 of 45 (553 views)
Shortcut
My feeling as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I really hope his last words are "farewell". Child of the Kindly West has to be in there. That whole line there should go in as written IMO.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 11:04pm

Post #15 of 45 (523 views)
Shortcut
Agree HS! And as Bomby says I do have faith in the team [In reply to] Can't Post

A difference being of course to work the death scene from the text to the visual we have to keep in mind that in text Bilbo is not the last one at Thorins side, but in the film he might be. Bilbo has his moment with Thorin while he is still mortally wounded but quite well enough to speak. We may get more of a sense of Thorins decline as Bilbo waits with him especially as so much has been done to create (then break) then recreate this iconic friendship.I fully think we will get the line as written but there will be a bit more interaction as well.

Going to wonderful and completely suck at the same time.

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jul 27 2013, 11:21pm

Post #16 of 45 (592 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts (Obvious Super Spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel this image is Thorin's reaction to seeing Fili and Kili being killed, his eyes look shocked and sad at the same time. It reminds me of Aragorn's change in expression when he see's Mount Doom explode, not knowing the Hobbit's fate.

Yes, my username is terrible.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 11:28pm

Post #17 of 45 (506 views)
Shortcut
I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

his last words to Bilbo were his dying words, he says them, dies then Bildo leaves. Almost as important will be Bilbo's words to himself afterwards..

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 27 2013, 11:31pm

Post #18 of 45 (537 views)
Shortcut
I can believe that. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm already bracing myself for dealing with my granddaughter's reaction. She is totally in love with Fili and Kili (the one that's winning changes moment to moment). She is 10 right now, and hasn't seen many movies in which truly sad things happen.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2013, 11:31pm

Post #19 of 45 (501 views)
Shortcut
So well said Brethil. [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree. I do think Bilbo will be the last one with Thorin. I might now be able to see the scene though because I will be bawling. I might have to ask the projectionist to please hit rewind several times before I can completely see the scene. Blush

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 12:46am

Post #20 of 45 (488 views)
Shortcut
Shows you how Much we love Them Already, YET? [In reply to] Can't Post

They don't Die...
for almost 2 Years!
(But we know they are Doomed to..)

Kleenex's STOCK
will shoot through
the Roof of any Theater!

YES, We ARE Weird...
Ain't it Great!
Bomby (that sentimental ol' Blubbering Idiot)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2013, 12:53am

Post #21 of 45 (466 views)
Shortcut
You know it Bomby! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am gonna set up Kleenex concessions outside the cinemas and sell them! Bwu hahahahahahahahah!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 12:54am

Post #22 of 45 (480 views)
Shortcut
I suppose its in the read Elendil [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
his last words to Bilbo were his dying words, he says them, dies then Bildo leaves. Almost as important will be Bilbo's words to himself afterwards..

It doesn't say one way or the other, just that Thorin knows he is heading for the halls of his fathers. I just always felt in the text, with the more removed relationship, that Bilbo would come in, have his moment but then the Dwarves would close ranks and keep his death private. But that's just always been my interpretation, I think its quite open.

Will hate to see Bilbo unhappy afterwards.

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 28 2013, 12:55am

Post #23 of 45 (463 views)
Shortcut
Except you're going to need most of them HS!. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am gonna set up Kleenex concessions outside the cinemas and sell them! Bwu hahahahahahahahah!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 28 2013, 1:21am

Post #24 of 45 (458 views)
Shortcut
I know I know!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What to do, what to do! I am gonna install windshield wipers on my glasses I think so I can see better. :)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 28 2013, 1:59am

Post #25 of 45 (475 views)
Shortcut
There is certainly nothing in the text that suggests that [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose it is possible that one could imagine that there are other interactions with Thorin after the one with Bilbo and before he dies, but there is absolutely nothing in the text to suggest that. On the contrary, the clear suggestion is that Thorin was holding on to life in order to make amends with Bilbo, and once he does that, he is able to let go. That is suggested by Gandalf's words to Bilbo when he finds him, as well as Gandalf's words to Thorin when he brings Bilbo to him. And it is implied by Thorin's own words "I must leave it now." To me at least it lessens the power of the scene to add in an additional scene that Tolkien neither writes nor implies.

Edited to add: This, of course, is my view only. I don't mean to imply that is the only "right" way to look at it. Even if it sounds like I do. Smile

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

(This post was edited by Voronwë_the_Faithful on Jul 28 2013, 2:03am)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.