Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Paperback, Hardback, E-Book, or Audiobook?
Poll: Paperback, Hardback, E-Book, or Audiobook?
Paperback
Hardback
Ebook
Audiobook
Depends on the book in question
None...I'd rather see the movie
The Snazzy Illustrated Edition
View Results (41 votes)

malickfan
Gondor

Jun 29 2013, 7:39pm

Post #1 of 12 (258 views)
Shortcut
Paperback, Hardback, E-Book, or Audiobook? Can't Post

I do prefer Illustrated Hardbacks if I can get them, but paperbacks are cheaper and easier aren't they?

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Jun 30 2013, 12:53am

Post #2 of 12 (153 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the book [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoy reading The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in hardback. For everything else, I mostly use my Kindle if ebooks are available for the title and paperback if not.

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jun 30 2013, 4:35am

Post #3 of 12 (126 views)
Shortcut
You need an "all of the above" option. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jun 30 2013, 8:10pm

Post #4 of 12 (114 views)
Shortcut
i prefer [In reply to] Can't Post

.... illuminated scrolls.

if something's not available in that format, then stone tablets affixed to a monumental obelisk.

i don't see either of those options.

cheers --

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jun 30 2013, 8:32pm

Post #5 of 12 (111 views)
Shortcut
Hardbacks if I can get them [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the feel of a book in my hand. Also I do dramatic readings in my head of everything I read. So I like having the book in front of me so I can use it as a script. If I have read something a couple of times I can see the pages in my head and can find passages quickly if I am looking for a quote. Can't seem to do any of these things with eReaders.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Jul 1 2013, 12:01am

Post #6 of 12 (108 views)
Shortcut
E-readers [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a convert! You can carry a shelf-full of books in your purse if you have an e-reader.

I understand what you mean about finding passages, I am the same way...but with e-readers, you don't need to rely on memory of the approximate page/location - e-readers have a search function so you can use keywords to find a passage you want.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 1 2013, 12:43am

Post #7 of 12 (101 views)
Shortcut
It depends on the need [In reply to] Can't Post

For LOTR, for example, I have one that sits next to my computer on for constant reference - large, easy to open, one volume, paperback, don't worry about dog-ears or rough handling.

For collecting and longevity and just appreciation of good design/construction - a good quality hard back.

For the car, audio book.

It's the story I want... the medium is just a method of getting the story and I let the medium fit the circumstances of when I want the story.

I don't do e-books.

sevilodorf
Gondor

Jul 2 2013, 2:28am

Post #8 of 12 (92 views)
Shortcut
Well, I'll read cereal boxes if that's all I can find [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't moved to ereader format -- though I have read (and written) a lot of fanfic online. I check out and read ten to fifteen books every two weeks from the library... mysteries, scifi, romance, biographies (just finished Dick Van Dyke's bio) things that are mentioned on the reading thread here or other sites I view that attract my interest and those are in paperback or hardback.

I go the audiobook route for road trips --- cross country jaunts from CA to West Virginia or whereever the road takes me.... that's how my granddaughter and I did the Lemony Snicket series.

(This post was edited by sevilodorf on Jul 2 2013, 2:28am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 2 2013, 3:49am

Post #9 of 12 (95 views)
Shortcut
Lemony Snicket read by Tim Curry? [In reply to] Can't Post

He's great, isn't he?

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 3 2013, 7:21pm

Post #10 of 12 (90 views)
Shortcut
As a dyed-in-the-wool waffler... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I didn't commit. Sly

But it really depends on the book.

Ebooks are great for when I'm going to be traveling and want to carry lots of books with me. Or for books that I don't intend to reread but that I can't find at the library.

I do like to have a print version of books I really love and read multiple times, or books that I will want/need to flip around in. I don't generally spring for hardbacks, though. A good quality paperback is good enough for me.

Audiobooks are fabulous, but those also depend. A rotten narrator can really spoil a book.

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Jul 3 2013, 7:22pm)

ryouko
Lorien

Jul 9 2013, 12:47am

Post #11 of 12 (51 views)
Shortcut
For me, it depends [In reply to] Can't Post

For the first book of a series, I'll buy whatever I find, or the cover I like best. After that, I keep trying to get the same kind of cover, for consistency.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 26 2013, 7:29am

Post #12 of 12 (71 views)
Shortcut
Hardcover is my first choice [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't bring myself to get an e-reader, as I see them driving bookstores out of business. I LOVE BOOKSTORES!

Paperback if I'm carrying it or need a book I can toss in a purse. I do have a Hardback Silmarillion in my car. The paperback version didn't hold up well enough,
Don't dare do audio books when I'm driving. I get too into the story. How to explain to the cop that I thought I was riding an eagle to the Carrock.Pirate

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.