Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 26 2013, 6:20am

Post #1 of 15 (188 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

It's another week, another opportunity to see how far TORn has come as we turn the miles we walk/swim/bike/run/dance/etc. into miles traveled in Middle Earth!

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles reported last week: 340.41
Cumulative miles: 16,248.32
Miles along the journey: 1588.9
Miles from Beorn's: 135.9

Our progress has accelerated again, as Bilbo and Gandalf said good-bye to Beorn and have continued on the journey. With only two of them to divvy up our mileage, we've made it all the way to the tunnel under the Misty Mountains. Not scenic, but we'll be to Rivendell before long, and that must surely be a cheering thought!

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 14
Cumulative miles: 687
Goal: There and Back Again!

It's been a busy week as I get ready for another family trip (two weeks in Oregon). I'm planning on taking my pedometer to see if I can keep my mileage up (you're right, Angharad73 - it's quite a motivator!). I found out today that the sore spot on my shin that I earned rafting last month is a bone bruise - sore to the touch but not an activity limiter, so that's a relief, especially as I'm trying to keep my mileage heading up or at least staying steady.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 8*
Cumulative miles: 667
Goal: Group Challenge

*Beamer's mileage for this past week will go up, after she lets me know how much hiking she's done this week at camp!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jul 26 2013, 8:25am

Post #2 of 15 (86 views)
Shortcut
Erebor! [In reply to] Can't Post

We still have rather uncomfortably warm weather here, so I haven't walked quite as much as I would have liked, and we didn't have time to go swimming. But still, early mornings in the forest are great. We are going on holiday next week (visiting the in-laws), so I'll have an entirely different area to walk around in! Cool

Miles covered this week: 39
Cumulative miles: 969
Goal: There and Back Again!

So, I have made it to Erebor! Took me 27 weeks. Now I've just got to get back home again...

My daughter asked me the other day if that means that I have walked the distance to her grandparents' house. I calculated, and it turns out I have actually walked as far as her grandparents' house and almost back home. The daughter was impressed. Then she suggested that instead of driving there next week, I should just walk... Yeah, I don't think so...

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2013, 11:44am

Post #3 of 15 (81 views)
Shortcut
Have pedometer, will travel :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, I hope you have a wonderful trip! Beamer and you are doing SO GREAT!

I've done a BUNCH more walking with a lot of repairs going on with Hobbity (my suv). Poor thing's starting to feel her age. 148,000+ miles on my 2002 Escape [to the] Ford. The 2 garages I've worked with are about 2 1/2 miles from my workplace, so just 10 miles in 2 days with dropping off and picking up.

I'm also making headway on the garage and gathering things for a monstrous huge yard sale when I'm done cleaning. It's going to be a while... but one step at a time, right?

Have a wonderful week everyone... and thanks for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel!

Miles covered: 55 miles
Cumulated miles: 23041
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jul 26 2013, 3:58pm

Post #4 of 15 (75 views)
Shortcut
Miles are adding up [In reply to] Can't Post

Back on July 4, the last time I reported, I had 273.7 miles. I have added 103.3, to make my total 377. That means I have escaped from the trolls and I am standing in the middle of a small stream on my way to the Ford of Bruinen.

A haiku to mark the occasion:

The hobbit thinks wet feet
when all things are considered
Are better than none

Most of my walking has been just around the neighborhood of work. Sometimes when it's been really hot, I walk in the basement tunnels at work. My goal is two walks a day, hopefully totaling 5 miles. This week, my average is 5.6 miles per day, so I'm feeling good about it.

*Off to dry my feet.* Happy walking!

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jul 27 2013, 1:38am

Post #5 of 15 (89 views)
Shortcut
Since last we met... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for not posting in a while. I've had bad weather luck on my days off.

I did have some luck in the past week, not only with good mileage but photos too.

Since last post: 17.46
Miles this challenge: 220.12
Total Miles: 300.22 (Wow!)
Miles left to go: 746.88

I'm past Weathertop, but still have trolls ahead before I get to Rivendell.

Wednesday, I tried hiking the biggest hills I could find in my area. The elevation change was only 372 feet, but that felt more than enough in my current condition. On the way up McAdam's Peak (that's its name), I nearly fainted when I came across this stunningly hobbitish scene and had to photograph it. If it doesn't look exactly like Bilbo's stairs leading to Bag End, I don't know what does.

At the top was an overlook with this very Shire-like scenery:

And not only lovely views, I had good luck down by the shore, including a rare Cormorant in flight and a translucent and angelic Egret wing.

But alas! Somewhere along the trail, the lens hood from my 500mm lens slipped off like the One Ring from Isildur's finger and is lost... LOST it is, my precious! While I retraced my steps back up the trail to the last place I was sure I had it, it was no where to be found. I blame barrow-wrights! It isn't a critical piece to the lens, but as the lens is 8 years old, I haven't yet found a replacement online.

Until next time, keep goin' y'all.

Joe

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 28 2013, 11:49am

Post #6 of 15 (59 views)
Shortcut
Congratulations! You have arrived :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings from the Lonely Mountain. Now for the long walk back ;) Just be careful of getting heat-stroke!

Well done, Angharad73! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 28 2013, 11:56am

Post #7 of 15 (64 views)
Shortcut
That's a strange place to take a rest ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

But very nice for cooling your toes after escaping the Trolls!

So... when you're running through the tunnels at work, do you imagine yourself in Goblin-town?

:D

WELL DONE, FF!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 28 2013, 12:07pm

Post #8 of 15 (61 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Wonderful, breath-taking pics! [In reply to] Can't Post

I want to go there SO BADLY! The shots of the birds are stunning, but the landscape and stairs make me sigh.

I'm so bummed you lost your lens hood. Naturally, it's probably black and hard to see. I'll bet you'll have luck on eBay. Then again, going on another hunt is a wonderful excuse to go visit those lands again ;)

Good Luck!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Jul 28 2013, 3:27pm

Post #9 of 15 (57 views)
Shortcut
Whoa [In reply to] Can't Post

That's just beautiful! How lucky are you!

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Iolani
Rivendell

Jul 28 2013, 3:33pm

Post #10 of 15 (62 views)
Shortcut
This (last) week... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't get as many miles as usual, but I promise next week will be better. Here's the stats!

miles: 9.4
cumulative: 1285.57
goal: There and back again group challenge

Here a beautiful week, guys!Sly

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

FantasyFan
Rohan

Jul 29 2013, 12:15am

Post #11 of 15 (87 views)
Shortcut
More like Shelob's lair [In reply to] Can't Post

Twisty turney tunnels, noisy and sometimes they smell funny. But better than frying in the sunshine, when it's really hot out. I do make adventures out of them, I admit. And I throw some stairs in as well, though not as sheer as those in the book.

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 29 2013, 11:20pm

Post #12 of 15 (50 views)
Shortcut
HEY! It all counts :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That's nothing to SNEEZE at, Iolani :) You have an Awesome week now... ya hear!

*skips down the road*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jul 30 2013, 2:31am

Post #13 of 15 (50 views)
Shortcut
yet another busy week... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had technology issues this (last) week, so I wasn't able to posts my stats until now. yikes, it seems to be one thing after another!
anyway...

Miles this week: 7.1
Cumulative miles: 277.67
Goal: There and back again!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 30 2013, 9:57am

Post #14 of 15 (52 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes it's a challenge just to do a challenge! [In reply to] Can't Post

But here you are... closer to your goal :D I hope you have an awesome week... technology-glitch free!!! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jul 31 2013, 1:59pm

Post #15 of 15 (94 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks for the encouragement! I hope so too!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.