Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter jackson music update everthing going be new score music
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Orc13
Bree

Jul 26 2013, 2:19am

Post #1 of 31 (1767 views)
Shortcut
Peter jackson music update everthing going be new score music Can't Post

The score for Film 2 is going to be terrific. Last year, we were a little frustrated because we had to revisit so many of the LotR themes - The Shire, Rivendell, Galadriel, Gollum, and the Ring - we did this because I'm wanting these 3 Hobbit movies to have great unity with the Rings films in design, wardrobe, story and music, so it meant when "An Unexpected Journey" had to acknowledge what had gone before.
But this time around, apart from a couple of Ring moments, it's all new: Beorn, Mirkwood, The Woodland Realm, Laketown, Bard and Smaug all give Howard the chance to write brand new themes, and he's knockin it out of the park!

Am so happy we get to here new music score for the Dos movie and it seem like Peter jackson knew he used some reused music for the first hobbit movie.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2013, 2:27am

Post #2 of 31 (855 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I was sure glad to hear this and just elated to know Shore is hard at work on new score stuff. Terrific news. The DoS juggernaut will be chugging down the tracks in just 4 1/2 months. Not a lot of time.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2013, 2:32am

Post #3 of 31 (845 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait for HS new themes and score... [In reply to] Can't Post

These new themes should probably be better incorporated into DoS given the extended period after the trilogy decision, as opposed to AUJ having major themes/motifs (Bilbo, Erebor, Dwarf Lords, Radagast) which were absent or largely absent from the film itself, yet present on the official score.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 2:49am

Post #4 of 31 (839 views)
Shortcut
Busts out a happy dance! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm keeping my eyes peeled for when the DoS CD is coming out -- joy!

Nira
Lorien

Jul 26 2013, 6:40am

Post #5 of 31 (664 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad he explained this for us. I'm glad to have new music. Smile

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Thranderz
Rohan

Jul 26 2013, 9:10am

Post #6 of 31 (605 views)
Shortcut
I simply can't wait... [In reply to] Can't Post

for a preview to come out for the new score! Remember when we first heard the track 'Radagast the Brown'?
How long was it before the film came out when that track was released?

I simply walked into Mordor.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 9:30am

Post #7 of 31 (616 views)
Shortcut
Encouraging [In reply to] Can't Post

There was no problem with reusing old LOTR themes where applicable, but judging from the album soundtrack I sense that Shore dealt with this a lot better than Jackson did. But this news is certainly very encouraging.

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Jul 26 2013, 11:31am

Post #8 of 31 (555 views)
Shortcut
Great news... [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's hope it all makes it into the movie, not just on the album soundtrack this time!

i believe that was the main problem - even though HS wrote new music for some scenes, it was shelved in favour of reusing LotR themes! ("Frying Pan" sequence in particular)

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

adnan
Rivendell

Jul 26 2013, 2:47pm

Post #9 of 31 (470 views)
Shortcut
Yes!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

This was the most positively refreshing news of the day for me!

Rivendell

Skaan
Lorien

Jul 26 2013, 3:08pm

Post #10 of 31 (469 views)
Shortcut
I think the best news for me in this, [In reply to] Can't Post

Is the fact that PJ thinks it was frustrating to reuse old music. Even though this doesn't guarantee us that there won't be any reused music in the next 2 films (other than the Ring theme like he said), it's still good to hear that PJ himself (and probably Howard Shore aswell) aren't a fan of reusing old music, so this gives me good hopes for the next movies.

sycorax82
Rohan

Jul 26 2013, 5:34pm

Post #11 of 31 (430 views)
Shortcut
I am still hoping some of AUJ is re-scored for the EE [In reply to] Can't Post

After all, Howard Shore did do separate recording sessions for all 3 LOTR EEs, with some of the existing cues from the theatrical cuts altered, if only slightly. Some of the AUJ score felt lazy in places.

It sounds like both Peter and Howard weren't 100% happy with how things turned out so maybe the EE is the opportunity to change certain parts. Of course, the main focus should be on DoS. Of course, it won't all be brand new score. I'm sure we'll be hearing Azog's theme again, as well as Sauron/Necromancer stuff and maybe even the Nazgul theme again.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 26 2013, 5:52pm

Post #12 of 31 (467 views)
Shortcut
What's interesting to me is Azog's Nazgul/Mordor theme at the end... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Along with Elrond's Lothlorien theme after the warg chase

These two themes seemed out of context in the film and I assumed they could have been used just to make TH feel more like LotR. But if PJ didn't like reusing the themes then this theory doesn't work, as he would've found new themes unless they were absolutely necessary.

So in what way is it necessary to use the Nazgul or Lothlorien themes here? Were the horses after the warg chase Galadriel's and is Azog a servant of Sauron or the Witch King? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jul 26 2013, 5:55pm)

Eldorion
Rohan

Jul 26 2013, 6:35pm

Post #13 of 31 (431 views)
Shortcut
This makes me hopeful [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really surprised at how many reused LOTR themes were in the AUJ. I felt that it cheapened the new scenes, especially reusing the Nazgul theme for Azog's fight with Thorin. I can appreciate them wanting to establish parallels with the earlier trilogy but too much of that just makes the story feel small and insignificant compared to what came before.

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

cats16
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2013, 1:28am

Post #14 of 31 (322 views)
Shortcut
Really great points, QT. I'm really interested to hear as well. // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 8:12am

Post #15 of 31 (321 views)
Shortcut
Elrond's Lothlorien theme? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, that has me really confused. (Have to confess that I'm not as good at identifying themes as some people. I recognise a few and that for me is a pleasure, like seeing an old friend, but there aren't many that I could actually put a name to. Probably only the Shire, Rohan and Gondor and the Fellwoship theme.)

So I can only go by the names and why would Elrond have a Lothlorien theme? I didn't think there was any mystery about the horses after the warg chase. Wasn't that Elrond and his Rivendell elves - the same party that ride into Rivendell after the dwarves arrive?

And as far as the Nazgul or Mordor or whatever it was theme that plays as Thorin strides down to face Azog, I know that's been discussed a lot, but didn't Doug Adams hint at some point that there was a reason for that which would become apparent later?

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 27 2013, 10:41am

Post #16 of 31 (294 views)
Shortcut
Here's a few examples... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the theme for Lothlorien:
http://youtu.be/x2Y5EzvaybY

We only ever hear it it in the Lothlorien and Caras Galadhon scenes.

The theme is then reused in the Two Towers when the LOTHLORIEN elves arrive at Helm's Deep:
http://youtu.be/YnHIOwgw11o

The theme is then made more aggressive in the battle when the LOTHLORIEN elves are defenting Helm's Deep:
http://www.youtube.com/...t=PL933708DED252A80D (about 20 seconds in)

In The Hobbit we hear this theme after the warg chase when the RIVENDELL elves appear, despite the theme having no connection with Rivendell previously.

What I would have preferred was a more aggressive version of this theme:

http://youtu.be/09juUFppEQo?t=17s (ignore the Shire theme parts)

Hope that's clear enough... I got confused writing it Laugh

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Jul 27 2013, 10:45am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2013, 10:51am

Post #17 of 31 (284 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

How the themes were used sometimes just doesn't make any sense. Considering how meticulous they were in LOTR i don't know what happened here...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 27 2013, 11:43am

Post #18 of 31 (273 views)
Shortcut
Well, Galadriel was at Rivendell... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they were her horses then the theme would make perfect sense. But there's nothing to suggest this is the case, considering Elrond arrives with them. Maybe an early concept was to have Galadriel arrive at this point and when things changed the theme stayed. Or maybe there's something going on here that we don't know about?

Another (annoying) possibility is that they simply didn't want to give away the fact that they were Rivendell elves by playing the theme, so went for Lothlorien as a red herring. But I hope this isn't the case.

It's a very curious decision

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 27 2013, 2:50pm

Post #19 of 31 (261 views)
Shortcut
I hope the new score is good. I wasn't impressed... [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't impressed by anything in AUJ, except the wonderful eagle theme. I suppose there weren't many beautiful themes because we went to so many ugly locations. So in theory, The Elvenking's Halls, Beorn's house and Laketown should make up for this lack of beauty. **fingers crossed**

Eldorion
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 5:33pm

Post #20 of 31 (245 views)
Shortcut
About the reused themes [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder how many of them were used because of the last-minute decision to split the films into a trilogy. We know they moved some material that was originally supposed to be in AUJ to the new DOS, so I'm sure they added more material to the rest of AUJ to keep up the running length. The most obvious case of this is the Azog fight, which seemed put together very quickly in order to have a climax. It's possible that Shore simply didn't have time to compose enough music for all the new scenes.

I am more hopeful about DOS in light of PJ's most recent comments, though. Smile

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 27 2013, 5:55pm

Post #21 of 31 (227 views)
Shortcut
If that is genuinely the case... [In reply to] Can't Post

Then I really hope they rescore the Extended Editions, because that's a pretty lame excuse

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 27 2013, 5:57pm

Post #22 of 31 (230 views)
Shortcut
Plausible, but seems unlikely [In reply to] Can't Post

The "third film split" was announced this time last year, yet Howard Shore started recording the soundtrack in August. While Shore would have had to re-work some of his work, the decision to split the film would have been made *long* before it was announced to the public.

Importantly, Shore would have been kept in the loop completely. It wouldn't have been an out-of-the-blue announcement for him.

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 27 2013, 6:44pm

Post #23 of 31 (217 views)
Shortcut
Anything? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's some wonderful music on that soundtrack, though regrettably some of it is merely confined to the album.

And remember there is an alternative composition for Thorin's confrontation with Azog on the soundtrack, so clearly Shore had time to do something original. It seems more likely to me that Jackson didn't think it fit the scene.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 27 2013, 9:25pm

Post #24 of 31 (175 views)
Shortcut
I admittedly haven't actually listened to the album. I heard there were some unused themes, but just haven't sought them out // [In reply to] Can't Post

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 27 2013, 9:38pm

Post #25 of 31 (195 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for those.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That really did make sense. I love the music, I just wish I could 'read' it as well as other people do. But you've added to the lists of themes I can put a name to now!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.