Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Necromancer only a CGI-shadow ?!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 8:42pm

Post #1 of 29 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Necromancer only a CGI-shadow ?! Can't Post

I read in a german movie magazine ("Cinema") today that
the Necromancer will be only performed as a CGI-Shadow by Cumberbatch.
Would you be disappointed if we only see him that way in DOS and probably TaBa ?!

xxxyyy
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 9:01pm

Post #2 of 29 (719 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I want a flashback with Sauron, in his "elvish" form... [In reply to] Can't Post

Well.. I want... I think it would be cool to show us a bit of Sauron's backstory... I think it would be a missed chance if they do not do that... and yes, and I love suspension points...

http://energyfromthorium.com/

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 9:12pm

Post #3 of 29 (707 views)
Shortcut
DoS totally packed [In reply to] Can't Post

Since we can assume that DoS will contain:
-Moria Flashback
-Beorn
-High Fells
-Mirkwood
-Laketown
-Dol Guldur
-Erebor
-probably Smaugs death

Just to point out the Main topics...to much for the movie?! Since Boyens stated that DoS could be the shortest.

(This post was edited by NoelGallagher on Jul 25 2013, 9:14pm)

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jul 25 2013, 9:27pm

Post #4 of 29 (651 views)
Shortcut
If they're going to give us Sauron's backstory, it'll probably be in TABA. [In reply to] Can't Post

So Benedict doing mocap work as a shadow in DOS doesn't necessarily mean we can't see him as something else in TABA.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 9:34pm

Post #5 of 29 (607 views)
Shortcut
i hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So Benedict doing mocap work as a shadow in DOS doesn't necessarily mean we can't see him as something else in TABA.

But i have the feeling that the Dol Guldur plot will probably be finished in DoS...
Or do you all think that this subplot will also be part of TaBa ?!

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 9:50pm

Post #6 of 29 (649 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose sometime during the Siege of Dol Guldur Gandalf could get him monologuing about his backstory. Like how in Valinor he was raised by ocelots and had to work as a lawn gnome to support the Valar. And how there was a 10th Ringwraith named Balloony. And how he's divorced and has a daughter named Vanessa and now he's going to take over the Tri-Kindred Area using his One-Ringinator!

This could work!!

"The tragedy of territorial geeks is that they found the wonderful world of fantasy, then missed its point."
-Luke McKinney

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jul 25 2013, 10:01pm

Post #7 of 29 (596 views)
Shortcut
The DG subplot will probably be resolved in TABA... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf and Radagast goes to investigate DG in DOS and find out that the Necromancer is really Sauron. They (or at least Gandalf) barely escape, and sometime during TABA he convinces the white council about the necessity of an attack, which will take place later in the movie.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 10:39pm

Post #8 of 29 (550 views)
Shortcut
is -during TaBa- not a bit late ?! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Gandalf and Radagast goes to investigate DG in DOS and find out that the Necromancer is really Sauron. They (or at least Gandalf) barely escape, and sometime during TABA he convinces the white council about the necessity of an attack, which will take place later in the movie.

Since we know Gandalf is part of BOFA, which is likely to happen in the middle of TaBa...

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jul 25 2013, 11:15pm

Post #9 of 29 (511 views)
Shortcut
I just don't see how they're going to cram it into DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect the Battle of Dol Guldur will take place at the same time as the buildup to the Battle of the Five Armies. Maybe Gandalf will arrive on the back of an eagle?

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jul 26 2013, 12:56am

Post #10 of 29 (468 views)
Shortcut
Exactly... [In reply to] Can't Post

Other than a very vague outline in the LOTR Appendices, all of the info on Sauron's First Age/Second Age backstory comes from books that Jackson and Co. do not have the rights to. They could have used as backstory the White Council's formation, Gandalf's previous forays into Dol Guldur and the decay of Mirkwood over the course of 2000 years, but they've already condensed all of that to fit into the present timeline.

Sure, Jackson could do some "Annatar/Celebrimbor/Rings of Power" stuff, but that has much more to do with LOTR than it does The Hobbit, and would put unnecessary focus on the Ring.

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jul 26 2013, 1:07am

Post #11 of 29 (483 views)
Shortcut
That would not disappoint me... [In reply to] Can't Post

According to Jackson's LOTR movies, Sauron could "not yet take physical form", so it would stand to reason that he'd be incorporeal in The Hobbit.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 26 2013, 1:12am

Post #12 of 29 (441 views)
Shortcut
Olorinschmirtz! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 1:31am

Post #13 of 29 (436 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

The tale of DoofenSauron!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 1:34am

Post #14 of 29 (478 views)
Shortcut
As long as it's a good shadow [In reply to] Can't Post

with a face, and scares me. I want the Necromancer to be scary, spooky, eerie! Something that'll make me shiver.

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jul 26 2013, 2:32am

Post #15 of 29 (457 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I read in a german movie magazine ("Cinema") today that
the Necromancer will be only performed as a CGI-Shadow by Cumberbatch.
Would you be disappointed if we only see him that way in DOS and probably TaBa ?!

Did anyone really expect something different?

He had the ring cut from his finger and was never again able to regain his full physical form. This was made clear in the previous LoTR movies (not to mention the dang books.)

Were people really expecting Peter Jackson to completely throw away how he handled Sauron in the LoTR movies just to give them a few minutes of a physical form in the Dol Guldur battle?

To quote the NFL guys on ESPN... "Come on Man!!!!"

kbdiggity
Rivendell

Jul 26 2013, 2:39am

Post #16 of 29 (432 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I certainly hope not. I mean I realize we can't rely on direct adaptations from the books. But the books say the Dol Guldur assault happened in the same month that Bilbo found the ring.... a few months before Smaug attacked Laketown and the Battle of Five Armies.

I think the assault on Dol Guldur makes the most sense being placed in the middle of DoS, with the film ending with Smaug's attack in Laketown. Then TABA can start off with either the continuation of Smaug's attack or the immediate aftermath, followed by the gathering storm and Gandalf's return, then the epic Peter Jackson sized Battle of Five Armies, and then the journey home.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2013, 3:57am

Post #17 of 29 (410 views)
Shortcut
P&F+Tolkien mash-up? [In reply to] Can't Post

Love them separately , not sure about together.

Though I saw ideas for a Gilbert and Sullivan/Tolkien mash-up that was pretty hilarious.

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 6:00am

Post #18 of 29 (392 views)
Shortcut
fair yet foul? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
with a face, and scares me. I want the Necromancer to be scary, spooky, eerie! Something that'll make me shiver.

As said in that conversation between Aragorn and Frodo. It was said Sauron was fair once, and fair yet foul or sinister would be the way to go in my opinion. In a scary and insidious way though ...
\

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 26 2013, 7:02am

Post #19 of 29 (390 views)
Shortcut
I prefer it that way. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since Sauron is just a bit part in a sub-sub-story, he doesn't need to be fleshed out, either physically or with a long backstory.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 26 2013, 7:11am

Post #20 of 29 (357 views)
Shortcut
Agreed.// [In reply to] Can't Post

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 8:59am

Post #21 of 29 (350 views)
Shortcut
Not the books [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron not having a physical form at the time of the stories apart from the eye is pure movie invention.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Jul 26 2013, 9:28am

Post #22 of 29 (331 views)
Shortcut
Already in the middle?!? A bit early, eh? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I certainly hope not. I mean I realize we can't rely on direct adaptations from the books. But the books say the Dol Guldur assault happened in the same month that Bilbo found the ring.... a few months before Smaug attacked Laketown and the Battle of Five Armies.

I think the assault on Dol Guldur makes the most sense being placed in the middle of DoS, with the film ending with Smaug's attack in Laketown. Then TABA can start off with either the continuation of Smaug's attack or the immediate aftermath, followed by the gathering storm and Gandalf's return, then the epic Peter Jackson sized Battle of Five Armies, and then the journey home.

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 26 2013, 12:12pm

Post #23 of 29 (313 views)
Shortcut
Necromancer at the lonely mountain [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling that after the necromancer is expelled from dol Guldor and Smaug is killed, he is going to show up at the lonely mountain.

What do you all think?

- "I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

My Book---> www.amazon.com/Popcornmaker

flameofudun
Lorien

Jul 26 2013, 1:54pm

Post #24 of 29 (277 views)
Shortcut
Where was the Moira flashback info gleaned from? [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember hearing something about that

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 26 2013, 3:26pm

Post #25 of 29 (223 views)
Shortcut
Especially Vanessa! // [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.