First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

-Bugi-

Jul 25 2013, 7:40pm

Post #1 of 94 (9339 views)
Shortcut
Last day of shooting Can't Post

PJs facebook :

Our last day of shooting.

Ever since starting these blogs, there's been something I thought I'd like to try one day (as well as answering the other 19 questions I owe you!) - blogging throughout a shoot day in real time. Try to give you all a feeling for what we deal with on an average day.

Today is not exactly "average", given it's our last day of shooting, but if I don't do it today, I never will!

So here goes ... I'll try to update as much as I can during the day. At least with a quick photo. Text will depend a little on how busy it gets.

Right now, it's just gone 6.30am here in Wellington. I'm in bed, about to get up! I didn't get much sleep - too stressed about how we're going to get through everything we need to shoot. I kept running it over in my mind.

We're shooting scenes for Film 3 today. Stuff you will see in Dec 2014, so I'm going to try and make this honest, but spoiler free.

I've been lying here in pitch darkness, watching fight rehearsals over and over again. Our stunt co-ordinatior, Glen Boswell, worked with the actors last weekend, designing some climatic battle moments. He filmed them, and I have them on my iPad, in an application we wrote called "WingNut TV". It's a program that allows a huge amount of material to be catalog used and updated each day over the Internet. It contains all our dailies, edited films, previs, music, and much more. I'm looking at the fights, figuring out the angles I'll need to film them today. A huge amount to do, and it needs to get done.

Our shoot day starts at 8.30am, and is supposed to finish at 7.30pm. I suspect we'll be working late. Whenever we work a long day, I joke with the crew that I'm just softening them up for when Jim Cameron shows up in Wellington to shoot Avatar 2 and 3. Well ... It's not really a joke.

I'll try and update often today.

A ty mor ho! — hoj mor ho! detvo môjho rodu,
kto kradmou rukou siahne na tvoju slobodu;
a čo i tam dušu dáš v tom boji divokom:
Mor ty len, a voľ nebyť, ako byť otrokom.
- S. Chalupka

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 8:03pm

Post #2 of 94 (7994 views)
Shortcut
This will be interesting! Good fun! Thanks PJ :-) (links in post) [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ will be updating us via his facebook profile, which is here. You don't need a facebook page to view PJ's page.

Update 1 (see OP above) - Here

Update 2 - Dawn over Wellington.

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 25 2013, 8:06pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 8:46pm

Post #3 of 94 (7828 views)
Shortcut
Don't you jus' LOVE PJ? such a sweetHeart/// [In reply to] Can't Post

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 25 2013, 9:10pm

Post #4 of 94 (7828 views)
Shortcut
This man just doesn't know when to quit - thank goodness! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Final day of filming. What more can I do to share this Hobbit experience with the fans? I know! I'll sit down periodically throughout my unbelievably hectic 20-hour work day and blog about it! Yup, that'll be fun!"

Truly, I don't know how he does it, except that he's doing something he absolutely loves and gets energy from knowing others are interested, too.

Thank you, Peter.

Now take a month off on a tropical island somewhere.Smile

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jul 25 2013, 9:48pm

Post #5 of 94 (7849 views)
Shortcut
Thoin fight [In reply to] Can't Post

The first image is labelled as "Thorin fight" (can be seen on the camera) wonder if this from the Bo5A against Azog or Bolg.

It's cool Jackson, is doing this, I'm looking forward to more updates. His cat seems nice.

Yes, my username is terrible.

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 9:54pm

Post #6 of 94 (7795 views)
Shortcut
This is fantastic!! [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ, saying it simply, gets it.

So much dedication and thoughtfulness, despite it probably being one of the most emotional days of his career. Of course the journey doesn't end here, and he still has a mountain of work left on these films. But that last day of shooting...it stays with you. With the scope, detail, and extensiveness of these films, he must be beyond exhaustion. Maybe he'll have his own "Well, I'm back" moment as he shuts the door coming home this evening. Thumbs way up to PJ, who, in my mind, gets up everyday because of the fans. I will never have a shred of doubt about his dedication to his craft, the texts, and the fans. He's his own breed, and continually shows his quality. Smile

There are going to be many sad people in NZ, and around the world when we see that shooting has finished in the next x hours. I remember watching that incredibly sad, yet uplifting part of the LOTR extras about his difficulties in taking that last shot of the trilogy. Just kept going. I can't wait to see this trilogy's conclusion (most likely being recorded by several people on set. Maybe even a couple of actors, who knows?).

Cheers to a fun, successful, and reflective final day of shooting, everyone. Heart Smile

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 10:00pm

Post #7 of 94 (7789 views)
Shortcut
Who's left? [In reply to] Can't Post

Does anyone know which of the Dwarves and other characters are still shooting on the last day? I gather several have Twittered or Facebooked to say they're done already, but not sure who's still in the ring.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 25 2013, 10:06pm

Post #8 of 94 (7756 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Smudge is clearly a being to be reckoned with [In reply to] Can't Post

Discuss.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2013, 10:08pm

Post #9 of 94 (7779 views)
Shortcut
From what I've gathered [In reply to] Can't Post

Graham McTavish, Adam Brown and Stephen Hunter are left. Not sure about the rest of the dwarves.

(This post was edited by Carne on Jul 25 2013, 10:11pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 10:16pm

Post #10 of 94 (7729 views)
Shortcut
Put on some wings [In reply to] Can't Post

And he'd make a purrfect Balrog.

WinkAngelic

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 10:22pm

Post #11 of 94 (7701 views)
Shortcut
I agree Bomby! [In reply to] Can't Post

The dedication and love that goes into these works is truly a gift. Angelic Thanks goodness for it!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2013, 10:27pm

Post #12 of 94 (7763 views)
Shortcut
Dean O'Gorman just tweeted that he is off to the studio [In reply to] Can't Post

https://twitter.com/...s/360525549862531073

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 10:29pm

Post #13 of 94 (7702 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to see Mr. Smudge's Facebook page [In reply to] Can't Post

Day 5,562 of the mysterious reason PJ has to leave my house. I told him to stop saying such things about Dwarves. I've read the books and they aren't a bad sort. I told him to stop talking like that martin-human I keep hearing about but he didn't listen.

Day 5,897 of the mysterious reason PJ has to leave my house. Off he goes. On his eighth cup of tea already. I tried to tell him his shoes don't match but he didn't listen.

Day 6,785 of the mysterious reason PJ has to leave my house. He has two phones in hand, one on each side of his head. I tried to tell him he looks like Princess Leia but he didn't listen.

Day 6,789 of the mysterious reason PJ has to leave my house. I told him to take my picture. He listened. Go me. Smudge out.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 10:33pm

Post #14 of 94 (7720 views)
Shortcut
New picture just in ... Mr.Smudge *IS* Smaug [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug always did look rather feline!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 10:36pm

Post #15 of 94 (7691 views)
Shortcut
You didn't even post *spoiler* !!! [In reply to] Can't Post

CoolSmileSmileSmileSmileSlySlySly

(Wiping coffee from my keyboard now, thanks Daniel!!!)

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jul 25 2013, 10:46pm

Post #16 of 94 (7681 views)
Shortcut
Penguins to be 6th army at Bo5A confirmed. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.facebook.com/...p;type=1&theater

Yes, my username is terrible.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2013, 11:12pm

Post #17 of 94 (7652 views)
Shortcut
A friend is wondering about Mr Smudge's breed [In reply to] Can't Post

(apart from part-Balrog, of course).

Main Coon? Norwegian Forest cat? What do people think?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 26 2013, 12:14am

Post #18 of 94 (7599 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Smudge Needs his Own Thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Life w/PJ,Fran& Kids!"
With serious
Cat Commentary
Voice OVER?

"DAD hasn't Brushed me in Weeks?"
"He keeps coming Home, Smelling like Trolls?"
"I own all the SHOES in thiz House!"

Might be a great Companion DISC!

Owain
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2013, 1:28am

Post #19 of 94 (7524 views)
Shortcut
Good stuff! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

Middle Earth is New Zealand!

"Question everything, embrace the bad, and hold on to the good."

bruinen
Bree

Jul 26 2013, 1:28am

Post #20 of 94 (7549 views)
Shortcut
Yes! Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Totally unexpected but amazing gift. Just...wow.

My Avatar: the desk Tolkien used when he wrote The Hobbit...now on display at Wheaton College.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 26 2013, 1:35am

Post #21 of 94 (7606 views)
Shortcut
Really interesting snippet from his latest update: [In reply to] Can't Post

The score for Film 2 is going to be terrific. Last year, we were a little frustrated because we had to revisit so many of the LotR themes - The Shire, Rivendell, Galadriel, Gollum, and the Ring - we did this because I'm wanting these 3 Hobbit movies to have great unity with the Rings films in design, wardrobe, story and music, so it meant when "An Unexpected Journey" had to acknowledge what had gone before.
But this time around, apart from a couple of Ring moments, it's all new: Beorn, Mirkwood, The Woodland Realm, Laketown, Bard and Smaug all give Howard the chance to write brand new themes, and he's knocking it out of the park!

The music update is here.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 26 2013, 1:37am

Post #22 of 94 (7541 views)
Shortcut
Lots of threads on PJ's comments to be coming, I'm sure [In reply to] Can't Post

He's really giving us some great insight into his mind with these films.

The newest one, about the music, is very interesting. I think he's acknowledging complaints that we've heard (and some have made) here.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2013, 1:38am

Post #23 of 94 (7533 views)
Shortcut
Thrilled! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thrilled when he posted that. Thrilled!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 26 2013, 2:05am

Post #24 of 94 (7515 views)
Shortcut
Cameron [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the comment about Cameron. Laugh

Peter seems to be a genuinely nice guy. This is a great treat! And I was shocked he mentioned the remaining 19 questions! Hopefully we'll get them over the next two years!

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2013, 2:56am

Post #25 of 94 (7517 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug... with tears* [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always wanted to spend the day with you, Peter... and here's my chance. You've made more than one wish come true over the past14+ years... and I'll always love you and your entire filmic family for that!

Your last day of filming, and here you're thinking of us. Very classy, sir... very cool :)

Love you more than Ice Cream!

Thank you... for all of it. No words worthy... :)

Let me know if you need some help. I'll be right over!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.