Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
SCOD: “Westu Aragorn hál!”

FaramirAndEowynMorningStar
Rohan

Jul 24 2013, 8:31pm

Post #1 of 5 (720 views)
Shortcut
SCOD: “Westu Aragorn hál!” Can't Post

Mae Govannen, my friends, to another Screencap Of The Day.
Here is the image;

This picture is when Éowyn gives Aragorn the chalice of wine in Edoras.

You can find the full-sized image here.

As always, feel free to answer any, some, or all the questions.

1) What do you think of the overall layout of this image?

2) Do you think the film makers are trying to convey the idea of a union between Rohan and Gondor? How well do you think they achieved this?

3) Éowyn is obviously in love with Aragorn, and I think in this scene, when he walks away from her, it is in the back of his mind that he has yet to tell her he loves Arwen.
a] Why do you think that Aragorn has not told her anything except when she asked him about the Evenstar [in The Two Towers]?
b] Do you think Aragorn is considering the possibility of Éowyn instead of Arwen, since he [and the audience] know Arwen is making her way to the Havens?

4) Do you think they would make a nice couple?

5) Any other thoughts/comments?

Bonus Question: For those who have seen The Two Towers Extended Edition version, we have seen Éowyn offer Aragorn the stew she made (which he did not like, but told her it tasted alright so that he was not hurting her feelings).
Every time I see her approach Aragorn with the goblet of wine, I keep wondering whether in the back of his mind Aragorn was thinking “Oh no, what has she got this time? Whatever it is, I hope it doesn’t taste like that stew she made!”
Can you relate these two scenes to each other?

....."Loyalty, Honor,
......A Willing Heart.
I can ask no more than that."

.... ~ Thorin Oakenshield

Elenorflower
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 10:52am

Post #2 of 5 (424 views)
Shortcut
they were prpbably inspired by this painting [In reply to] Can't Post

Of Tristan and Isolde by Duncan

]

(This post was edited by Elenorflower on Jul 25 2013, 10:54am)

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 7:19pm

Post #3 of 5 (389 views)
Shortcut
If you thought her stew was disgusting.... [In reply to] Can't Post

“Groom right, bride left.” Subtle this ain’t.

2) Do you think the film makers are trying to convey the idea of a union between Rohan and Gondor?

Theoden certainly was.

How well do you think they achieved this?

I suppose Shore might have snuck the Bridal Chorus from Wagner's Lohengrin into the soundtrack.

3) Éowyn is obviously in love with Aragorn, and I think in this scene, when he walks away from her, it is in the back of his mind that he has yet to tell her he loves Arwen.
a] Why do you think that Aragorn has not told her anything except when she asked him about the Evenstar [in The Two Towers]?

As far as he’s concerned, it’s over.

b] Do you think Aragorn is considering the possibility of Éowyn instead of Arwen, since he [and the audience] know Arwen is making her way to the Havens?

In the first draft Tolkien was:

Very fair and slender she seemed. Her face was filled with gentle pity, and her eyes shone with unshed tears. So Aragorn saw her for the first time in the light of day, and after she was gone he stood still, looking at the dark doors and taking little heed of other things.

Aragorn was silent, but his eyes followed Éowyn

Long she looked upon Aragorn, and long he looked upon her

-The King of the Golden Hall, HoME VII

‘If I live, I will come, Lady Éowyn, and then maybe we will ride together.’ Then Éowyn ‘smiled and bent her head gravely.’
-ibid

Eventually Tolkien didn’t.

Cut out the love story of Aragorn and Éowyn. Aragorn is too old and lordly and grim.
-ibid

However, I always thought he was an idiot for turning down Eowyn until Liv Tyler, then I went “Oh! So that’s what a real Elf is!”, so now I at least understand Aragorn even though I’d still choose Miranda Otto any day of the week.

This is part of the Anglo-Saxon ritual called a Symbel, or Drinking Game. The game starts with the hostess passing The Chief’s Cup around the gathering. During this rite she will often say a little verse for each participant. (The verse should not be joking or demeaning.) Then she fills each participant’s individual cup. (Her attendants will then keep those cups filled.) Now the Memory Cup is passed around to pay respect to those who have passed on. Then there will be an exchange of gifts. Now the game begins in earnest, with the Bragging Cup being passed around. Each participant will state his lineage, boast of a past great deed, and/or make an oath to do a future great deed. The oaths are binding. (Especially so in Middle-earth! See Prince Baldor!) After the Bragging Cup makes a round, the host or hostess will make a speech (often in verse) then the Bragging Cup goes around again. Eventually when the hosts decide it’s time, the Parting Cup is passed around to end the game.

There are other variants to the Drinking Game, but this is pretty basic

Note that portions of a Symbel are seen several times in the book. Here’s a couple

Now Galadriel rose from the grass, and taking a cup from one of her maidens she filled it with white mead and gave it to Celeborn.
'Now it is time to drink the cup of farewell,' she said. `Drink, Lord of the Galadhrim! And let not your heart be sad though night must follow noon, and already our evening draweth nigh.'
Then she brought the cup to each of the Company, and bade them drink and farewell. But when they had drunk she commanded them to sit again on the grass, and chairs were set for her and for Celeborn. Her maidens stood silent about her, and a while she looked upon her guests. At last she spoke again.
'We have drunk the cup of parting,' she said, `and the shadows fall between us. But before you go, I have brought in my ship gifts which the Lord and Lady of the Galadhrim now offer you in memory of Lothlórien.'

-Farewell to Lórien

When the burial was over and the weeping of women was stilled, and Théoden was left at last alone in his barrow, then folk gathered to the Golden Hall for the great feast and put away sorrow; for Théoden had lived to full years and ended in honour no less than the greatest of his sires. And when the time came that in the custom of the Mark they should drink to the memory of the kings, Éowyn Lady of Rohan came forth, golden as the sun and white as snow, and she bore a filled cup to Éomer.
-Many Partings

Bonus Question: For those who have seen The Two Towers Extended Edition version, we have seen Éowyn offer Aragorn the stew she made (which he did not like, but told her it tasted alright so that he was not hurting her feelings).
Every time I see her approach Aragorn with the goblet of wine, I keep wondering whether in the back of his mind Aragorn was thinking “Oh no, what has she got this time? Whatever it is, I hope it doesn’t taste like that stew she made!”
Can you relate these two scenes to each other?

If you thought her home-made stew was disgusting wait’ll you hear about her home-brewed mead!

In Anglo-Saxon culture, it was the women who brewed the mead. So the royal mead being served during the symbel/drinking game was brewed and served by Eowyn and her female attendants.

To ferment grain into mead you need the enzyme ptyalin.

(***Warning: Do NOT highlight the following if you have a weak stomach!***)

Thus, to make the mead that Aragorn and all the other men are drinking, Eowyn and her female attendants would chew the grain to introduce the salivary enzyme ptyalin into the mixture, then spit the chewed mass into a vat.

The fermentation process now begins and you’ll soon have delicious mead!

So now which seems more appetizing: Eowyn’s stew or Eowyn’s mead?

"The tragedy of territorial geeks is that they found the wonderful world of fantasy, then missed its point."
-Luke McKinney

batik
Tol Eressea

Jul 27 2013, 6:32pm

Post #4 of 5 (334 views)
Shortcut
Awkward.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's the eye contact? Moments of hopefulness and thoughtfulness amid the (sort of ) celebration.

2) Do you think the film makers are trying to convey the idea of a union between Rohan and Gondor? How well do you think they achieved this?

Not really. Aragorn, imo, stands for more than Gondor.

Hmm...well. I suffer from film/book confusion when it comes to this storyline. Focusing on what the film showed us...Aragorn seems to be conflicted (?) In TTT, I was totally buying into an Eowyn/Aragorn union. The two seemed to have several *moments* when it seemed to be a realistic possibility.

I think they'd have done alright as a couple.

At this point in time, I have a hard time recalling where I was in the reading when RotK was released! I certainly was buying an Eowyn/Aragorn romance while watching TTT so...I am going to assume that I had not yet finished RotK at that point. Whatever the case, this scene certainly conveyed to me that any consideration Aragorn had had with regards to Eowyn, he was now focused on something else. He seems so distant and the lack of eye contact....he is elsewhere in his mind. Maybe (filmwise) he's lost hope in living a life with his true love, briefly entertained the thought of love with another, but has now become determined to see through the task at hand.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 27 2013, 10:51pm

Post #5 of 5 (371 views)
Shortcut
hink they were going for this [In reply to] Can't Post

(Oversized image removed - Ataahua.)

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 28 2013, 10:00pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.