Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Who should sing the Desolation of Smaug credits-song ?!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 24 2013, 11:05pm

Post #26 of 62 (373 views)
Shortcut
As long as it's not as awful as Gollum's Song, I don't really have a preference. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really like any of the "pop" end credit songs in LOTR.

I did like Neil Finn's version of the Misty Mountain song, though, so they've made a much better start with these films.

"BOTH [political] extremes are dangerous. But more dangerous are team fanboys who think all the extremists are on the OTHER side." (CNN reader comment)

It is always those with the fewest sensible things to say who make the loudest noise in saying them. --Precious Ramotswe (Alexander McCall Smith)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2013, 11:26pm

Post #27 of 62 (345 views)
Shortcut
Totally [In reply to] Can't Post

I did enjoy all of the LOTR songs (except for Emiliana Torrini's) but I loved Neil Finn's Misty Mountains song at the end of AUJ. I thought it was terrific.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 24 2013, 11:57pm

Post #28 of 62 (322 views)
Shortcut
ROFL [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I am reminded of fanvids where people sing Justin Bieber's song in Gollum's voice... I always imagined the purse to have a very squeaky voice...

Hey, Talking Purse Fan Club!! (You know who you are.) Does anyone have an explanation for how the talking purse actually talks? Does it have a tape recorder in it? Does it manipulate the air to produce sound audible by the average Hobbit, Dwarf (and presumably Mannish, Elvish, and Wizardly) ear in Middle-earth? Or is it a *telepathic* Talking Purse? Tongue Laugh Curious minds want to know!

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 12:01am

Post #29 of 62 (330 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea for the actual singer [In reply to] Can't Post

but I am willing to bet that the song will be about Smaug in some form or other, seeing as how TTT had "Gollum's Song" as a villain song for that installment of the trilogy. Cannot help but think that DOS will follow its lead. That being said, I am hoping Smaug will inspire a more listen-able song than "Gollum's Song" as I find that one creepy in the extreme and usually have to skip it when I listen to the soundtrack. Actually, that is a compliment to the talent of the artist! Captured Gollum's essence very well in song.

...Now I am imagining what it would have sounded like if Gollum had done the credits song for TTT... *pauses a moment, then starts giggling*

Sly I haven't seen anyone suggesting that, since RA didn't get to do the credits song for AUJ after all, that they should make up for that by having Benedict Cumberbatch do the DOS one. Does he sing? I don't know. I just had a funny thought.

I swear, I haven't had much chocolate today. I don't know why my brain is making me type all these random things. Hopefully they provide some amusement for you all. Smile

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 12:14am

Post #30 of 62 (334 views)
Shortcut
I have a whole list of people I think should sing the credits song [In reply to] Can't Post

After Neil Finn, I'm hoping they will find another New Wave artist. My choices are Nik Kershaw, the frontman for the Thompson Twins (I forget his name), Morten Harket of A-Ha, or Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode. I'm listening to Depeche Mode right now as a matter of fact, and if you want a more threatening and mysterious song, Dave Gahan is perfect.

(This post was edited by Ziggy Stardust on Jul 25 2013, 12:15am)

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 12:18am

Post #31 of 62 (336 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely right [In reply to] Can't Post

They were especially well-known in Europe and are part of the New Wave/Alternative scene. They play Crowded House all the time on SiriusXm First Wave.

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2013, 1:17am

Post #32 of 62 (316 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's what "known worldwide" means... [In reply to] Can't Post

And again, not known as a solo artist (however his band may have appealed to alternative audiences in 1985).

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

(This post was edited by Captain Salt on Jul 25 2013, 1:22am)

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 1:57am

Post #33 of 62 (301 views)
Shortcut
'm still hoping... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still hoping for Eddie Vedder. I wish he would cover "The Greatest Adventure" from the Rankin/Bass Hobbit but that will never happen

Bumblingidiot
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 2:04am

Post #34 of 62 (302 views)
Shortcut
The last two sounded very much part of the pop world. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first two songs were nearly perfect, but the last two - particularly Annie Lennox's, suffered from the mid-Atlantic treatment that is the default mode of the music biz. They disconnected me from the world being depicted just as effectively as Legolas' surfer dude moment. I'd hope for someone(s) who can provide a sound that fits in with the notion of a distant past. A good choir - Kings College for example, or similar, or even a Welsh male voice choir if the song is suitable for that sound. However, I think a Sami musician may be the answer - given that this is an Anglo-Scandinavian tale, with trolls and dragons, and the massive influence of Finnish on Tolkien's writings. Also, I think a Sami musician would know how to sing about a bunch of people who've been dispossessed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46WW3D5a_TU

or Sofia Jannok

or especially Mari Boine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYevBLUtuLc

I'd love to hear that voice on the multi watsit surround thingy at the cinema - I can but dream I suppose.

Alerik
The Shire

Jul 25 2013, 3:12am

Post #35 of 62 (273 views)
Shortcut
Greg Lake [In reply to] Can't Post

Something along these lines : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Ippzdh0Qg

angelclaw
Bree

Jul 25 2013, 3:48am

Post #36 of 62 (262 views)
Shortcut
Till Lindemann [In reply to] Can't Post

Of Rammstein, naturally. There would be a live version with lots of pyro, where all the band members dress up like Dwarves and Till pretends to shoot Flake with a flaming arrow Wink

utku
Rivendell

Jul 25 2013, 6:57am

Post #37 of 62 (231 views)
Shortcut
Yes, definitely Nick Cave! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I think he should go as dark as he can go. If the theme song is as haunting as, I don't know, The Weeping Song it would be spectacular. If not for DoS, for the final film at least. Nick Cave doing a song for the trilogy would be a dream come true for me. And he attended to the London premier of AUJ with his family so I can only imagine he is a fan and would be willing to do it if he is asked. I feel like this is such a high possiblity that if it doesn't happen I'd be disappointed. :(

DeadRabbits
Lorien

Jul 25 2013, 7:52am

Post #38 of 62 (232 views)
Shortcut
I love that song. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I can't find one single so called "gangsta" reference in the lyrics, so I can't really understand why you refer to it as "gangsta rap". I love old gangsta rap though - NWA, Ice Cube, Biggie, Dr Dre, etc. However, there's not so many hiphop acts that can be classified as "gangsta" nowaydays.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 7:58am

Post #39 of 62 (235 views)
Shortcut
Nli Finn and Crowded House were rather big in the US in the 1990s [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
They don't know Finn by name (your quote) = obscure. Having vague familiarity with some long-ago songs doesn't count. And I know several people who hadn't heard of him until AUJ.

And btw, the OP also called Finn "unknown".

But let's just argue for the sake of arguing, shall we?

I don't think Niel Finn can be called unknown with the global success he and Crowded House had in the 1990s (after PJ and maybe Sir Edmund Hillary probably the most famous kiwi). Actually I don't like his version of Misty Mountains there is a much better version sung by a fan on the OneRing Net. Annie Lennox would have done a much better job of it.

jtarkey
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 8:57am

Post #40 of 62 (249 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna say it until someone finally notices... [In reply to] Can't Post

SAM BEAM of Iron and Wine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHOPwsyYxtU

I can just hear something like this at the end of TABA. It would be sublime.

It's such a shame that he got most of his fame from having a song in Twilight. I can say, without remorse or regret, that this guys lyrics are some of the most amazing combinations of words I've ever heard. Listen to "Trapeze Swinger" or "Walking Far from home" for proof...

I also need to say this...

The man has a beard that "dwarfs" Sly Thorin Oakenshield himself

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

(This post was edited by jtarkey on Jul 25 2013, 9:05am)

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2013, 10:11am

Post #41 of 62 (211 views)
Shortcut
Peter Gabriel would be my choice [In reply to] Can't Post

for one of the next two films (i'd prefer him for the third film, though). And i love Nic Cave, i just don't know if he'd be a good fit in Middle-earth. I'd be for giving it a shot, though. Sting would be an alright choice, too.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2013, 11:56am

Post #42 of 62 (201 views)
Shortcut
What about Juha-Pekka Leppäluoto [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want dark and creepy, this is the guy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt6Obe4tk3s
A wonderful coversong as well Smile

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 5:17pm

Post #43 of 62 (171 views)
Shortcut
Okay I can see Sting performing a song for one of the films [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think that Jackson & Company are necessarily committed to having a male vocalist for each of the three films. Still, for the sake of argument: David Arkenstone?

Or, totally off-the-wall: They Might be Giants.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 5:44pm

Post #44 of 62 (159 views)
Shortcut
David Bowie [In reply to] Can't Post

and he should make his best Thrandy impression in the video for it - with goblins and all like in Labyrinth

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 5:46pm

Post #45 of 62 (164 views)
Shortcut
I will admit... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I have considered Bowie as a possibility.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

daemoon
Rivendell

Jul 25 2013, 7:16pm

Post #46 of 62 (148 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping for a darker song so... [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Waits (remember the crazy Smaug rumors?), Nick Cave or Peter Murphy.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 7:56pm

Post #47 of 62 (137 views)
Shortcut
Pete Murphy? [In reply to] Can't Post

I could definitely get on board with that idea - he's one of my favourites. Cool

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2013, 12:10am

Post #48 of 62 (117 views)
Shortcut
Represent, yo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for your thoughts on the classifications of rap. That was dope!

2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2013, 12:11am

Post #49 of 62 (104 views)
Shortcut
Agreed, Peter Gabriel could certainly be a viable choice... [In reply to] Can't Post

especially if the song for film 2 is "Smaug's".

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 1:23am

Post #50 of 62 (103 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

but I don't know if he'd be "too old" for the producers. Unsure

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.