Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
About our 13 Dwarves - who would you...

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 25 2013, 4:53am

Post #1 of 15 (544 views)
Shortcut
About our 13 Dwarves - who would you... Can't Post

1) ...sit down in a pub with to talk all night?

2) ...like to set up on a blind date?

3) ...take fashion advice from?

4) ...go into business with?

5) ...never leave your children with?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Angharad73
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 7:08am

Post #2 of 15 (300 views)
Shortcut
Very good questions... [In reply to] Can't Post

- Either Dwalin or Bofur, I'd say. Bofur, of course, would be hilarious, telling jokes, singing etc. He's the 'life of the party type'. But on the other hand, Dwalin might actually be very interesting to talk to - I'm sure he has a lot of stories about battles and campaigns,just where he got all those scars and what all the tattoos mean. And he can be funny, too. So I'll go for Dwalin.

- As in me setting him up with someone? Well, I'd choose Bifur, because he needs a bit of love. Now, I have this friend, who is a vegetarian, actually - might be a bit tall for him, but maybe he doesn't mind that...

- Dwarves and fashion advice? Well... I was going to say Kili (his clothes are not too bad), but then it occurred to me that his mother might have picked those out for him. Since Dis is not one of the 13, I think I'll have to go with Balin instead. His coat is rather nice and he doesn't wear furs, like some of the others. His boot may not be my style, but I'm flexible on that.

Now, when it comes to hair styling/hair care etc., though, I suppose you can guess which Dwarf I would turn to...Blush

- Gloin, I suppose would be the obvious answer. He seems quite savvy when it comes to financial advice, and since I am not good at that at all (I'll take care of the more creative side of the business), we might work well together.

- Fili and/or Kili because they would get them into too much mischief. I think, my 8-year old daughter would end up watching them and trying to keep them out of trouble, not the other way round. Nori would also not be high on the list of potential babysitters, shifty character that he is. I do not want my kids to be taught how to pick pockets and the likes.

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 7:13am

Post #3 of 15 (278 views)
Shortcut
Thought provoking! [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely Thorin ... all the history of Erebor and some good ale Cool

Bombur - he seems to be quite shy, needs a bit of a push I think.

Balin - fantastic costume and beard trim - he would be my first choice to go to.

Gloin - he seems to be an expert in these things...

I'm afraid it has to be Bifur - not sure what would happen due to that axe and all ... Shocked

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 25 2013, 7:14am)

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 8:50am

Post #4 of 15 (277 views)
Shortcut
Cool game! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Ataahua.

1) This one's tough. Do I have to pick only one?
Nori should have some good stories, while I could happily stare at, er, listen to Kili all night. If I'd had a rough day, though, I'd have to choose Bofur, he's the sympathetic type.

2) Ori looks like he could use some <ahem> experience. Bifur would be challenging.Evil So it would depend who I was setting them up with...

3) I love my comfort so maybe Ori would be good.

4)Balin seems to have the edge here. I would trust him to know what he was doing.

5) Nori or Bifur. Nori for his questionable past, and Bifur because I really don't want my kid to learn Dwarvish!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 2:24pm

Post #5 of 15 (243 views)
Shortcut
Great Questions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili and Kili along with Bofur. What a riot that would be!

I'd love to go out with Bofur. He's a nut, but he's passionately loyal and protective.

Balin. He's been around, and he's seasoned. I love the look between Gandalf and him when Thorin thinks that Azog died long ago.

Balin, again. He's the contract writer, tally keeper, methodical one.

Bifur. Simply because they wouldn't understand him and that axe in his head is nasty!

Thanks Ataahua! That was fun :D

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 3:46pm

Post #6 of 15 (229 views)
Shortcut
Oh, goodness. [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Dunno. Hmm. I am very tempted to answer 'Bofur' to the first four questions, but that would be cheating. However, I really would like to talk to Bofur. Of course he'd be funny and nice, but he has his serious, sympathetic side, too. Would also like to talk to Balin. I'm sure he has lots of embarrassing stories to tell about Thorin, Frerin, Dis, Fili, and Kili when they were younger! Tongue

2) Do you mean set up one of the Dwarves on a blind date with someone else, or go on a blind date with one of the Dwarves?? There's a difference, you know! I'll assume it's the former. And, in that case, I have no clue. I have absolutely no dating experience and so should be the *last* person anyone should go to for relationship advice. Seriously.

Now, if you meant *going* on a blind date with one of the Dwarves, I'll have to say Fili. Angelic Blush Hey, we'll have looking after rambunctious younger siblings in common. Wink

3) Um... I also have no fashion sense, so it's good that I'd be taking the advice, rather than giving it. Hmm. Not sure here. It'd probably be someone of or close to the royal line, though, since I like the look of Thorin's, Fili's, Kili's, Balin's, and even Dwalin's clothes. I really can't pick just one.

I would really like to learn how to braid my hair like Fili's, though... Angelic

4) Gloin. He'd make an excellent business partner. I'm sure Oin also is good at this sort of thing, from all their years of being merchants.

5) Nori. Full stop. He'd teach them too many sneaky things! I also think leaving Kili with the kids would be bad. Just Fili might be fine, since I think he can manage to be responsible enough when Kili's not around for him to start a bit of mischief with (notice that Fili started the whole 'the lowlands are crawling with orcs' thing).

I may be the only person who thinks Bifur would be an awesome babysitter, since he makes such wonderful toys. Just me, but I imagine he'd be great with kids on some elementary level.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 4:07pm

Post #7 of 15 (230 views)
Shortcut
Lovely set of questions Ataahua! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1) ...sit down in a pub with to talk all night? The 'all night' thing in any context means it has to be Thorin.

2) ...like to set up on a blind date? Bofur. He needs a good woman! Just have to find one with the right sort of beard. Just enough but not too much.

3) ...take fashion advice from? Dwalin. He looks amazing.

4) ...go into business with? Well, if I want to be a Ranger when I grow up, I can define that as my "business". So Dwalin again.

5) ...never leave your children with? Fili (and Kili) you are both adorable, but never. You need watching yourselves.

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Escapist
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 4:17pm

Post #8 of 15 (216 views)
Shortcut
aha [In reply to] Can't Post

1) ...sit down in a pub with to talk all night? Bofur

2) ...like to set up on a blind date? Thorin

3) ...take fashion advice from? Dori

4) ...go into business with? Balin

5) ...never leave your children with? Bifur

Did I get the right answers?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 25 2013, 7:41pm

Post #9 of 15 (206 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts. [In reply to] Can't Post

(I hadn't considered my answers when I posted the questions.)

1) ...sit down in a pub with to talk all night? Bofur - it wouldn't be a quiet night!

2) ...like to set up on a blind date? Dori - he looks after his brothers so much that it's about time someone was there to look after him.

3) ...take fashion advice from? Thorin, because he looks fiiiiiine.

4) ...go into business with? Dwalin: He'd scare off the competition and make sure people paid up on time. ;)

5) ...never leave your children with? Nori - he has 'bad influence' written all over him!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 25 2013, 8:11pm

Post #10 of 15 (201 views)
Shortcut
Good onea Ataahua [In reply to] Can't Post

Bofur. I think he can tell amazing stories, burst out in a few songs and is probably just fun to hang around with.

Ori. Just to get him away from Dori always interfering and probably suggesting who to see.

Thorin. I could use some majestic in my wardrobe.

Balin. Have you seen the contract he wrote? That will make some thoroughly thought out business plans.

Fili and Kili. They would just be standing there watching when something would happen to the kids. Not good!

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 1:11am

Post #11 of 15 (180 views)
Shortcut
Here are my answers [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Fili. I think we would get along rather well.

2) I don't set people up on blind dates.

3) Ori. He's an artist, and probably has an idea of fashion, since, when done in good taste, can be artful.

4) Balin, he seems like he'd be fair in business.

5) None of them. They too noisy, and probably would lose the kids to goblins, or Smaug.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 26 2013, 1:19am

Post #12 of 15 (178 views)
Shortcut
Good questions! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin, Balin, and Dwalin. Imagine all the tales they could tell!

Ori - but I'd have to be careful who I set him up with, she'd have to be very patient! Laugh I might make it a double date, and ask Bofur along for mine.

Dori. Especially on hairdos.

Balin, for his advice.

Fili and Kili. I agree with others, they'd get themselves and the kids into trouble! Crazy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Jul 26 2013, 12:07pm

Post #13 of 15 (183 views)
Shortcut
It would be very lively if [In reply to] Can't Post

we were to choose all 13 for all of these...nothing would get accomplished, but we'd have a lot of singing, arguing, and fun! Wink

1) ...sit down in a pub with to talk all night? Bofur...conversation would never lag! I'm going to invite Thorin too. I think he would just glower at me all night, but that's okay. I wouldn't mind.Angelic

2) ...like to set up on a blind date? Kili. I know this great Elf chick from Mirkwood...Evil (Now I just have to figure out how to get him to part from Fili for a little while!)

3) ...take fashion advice from? Fili. Because you never know when you'll need an entire arsenal of weapons hidden about your person.

4) ...go into business with? Balin. I would never need to worry whether I could trust him.

5) ...never leave your children with? Nori. Because I would always need to worry whether I could trust him.

"To remember love after long sleep; to turn again to poetry after a year in the marketplace, or to youth after resignation to drowsy and stiffening old age; to remember what once you thought life could hold, after telling over with muddied and calculating fingers what it has offered; this is music, made after long silence."--The Hollow Hills

ryouko
Lorien

Aug 11 2013, 12:04am

Post #14 of 15 (86 views)
Shortcut
answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Lets see....

1. Bofur. Perhaps Balin.

2. In all honesty, I wouldn't want to get romantically involved with any of them.

3. Fashion advice from a Dwarf? Maybe from a female Dwarf, but not from that lot.

4. Oin and Gloin. They ARE the ones who backed the trip, so they have to have money. And that means having good business sense.

5. Nori. He'd probably be teaching them how to be pickpockets.

Tongue

Queen of Erebor
Lorien

Sep 13 2013, 11:11pm

Post #15 of 15 (77 views)
Shortcut
I think you misunderstood question 2... [In reply to] Can't Post

since it doesn't ask you who you want to be set up with but who you'd like to set up with someone else...Wink

Here are my answers:

1) ... sit down in a pub with to talk all night?
any "all nighter" has got to be Thorin

2) ... like to set up on a blind date?
Nori, since maybe having a girlfriend will mend his wild ways (but probably not). He also may need someone to help him do his hair.

Thorin again, since I'd like to know where he got that coat (if Thranduil stole it in the upcoming DoS, I'm not going to be a happy camper). I'd also like to know how he does his hair (especially the side braids, since I have a heck of a time getting it right on my own hair, which is of a similar style, but the color of Fili's).

4)...go into business with?
Gloin and Dwalin. Gloin can handle the finances, and Dwalin can hunt down those who refuse to pay their dues (depending on what kind of business we're in. I think Dwalin would make an excellent bounty hunter).

5)...never leave your children with?
Bifur. That leftover ax in his head might be a little intimidating. And if they pulled it out, they may not be able to stop the bleeding.

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Sep 13 2013, 11:17pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.