Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Gloin at Erebor during Smaug's attack?

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 2:10am

Post #1 of 18 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Gloin at Erebor during Smaug's attack? Can't Post

Not sure if this question has been asked before, but I noticed a dwarf wearing what appears to be a Gloin's clothing, when they are running out of Erebor. It's blurred, but the armor on the sleeve, belt pattern, and layering all appear the same. The hair style is the same, but it is not as red as I would expect. If not Gloin then maybe his father Groin, and the clothing was passed down? Or...worst idea, they are really lazy in costuming and figured no one would notice if they used the same outfit for a random dwarf.

http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/possgloin1.jpg
http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/possgloin2.jpg
http://heirsofdurin.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/possgloin3.jpg

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Captain Salt
Tol Eressea

Jul 25 2013, 2:54am

Post #2 of 18 (605 views)
Shortcut
Noticed this as well, and he does looky quite similar... [In reply to] Can't Post

But if he is meant to be Gloin/Groin, why just show us his back? Perhaps his bit in the prologue has been left for the EE? Also, why is he wearing the same (or similar) outfit and pretty much identical hair seen in his later appearance when Thorin, Balin, & Dwalin appear quite differently in the flashback material?

IMO, he's just a very similar-looking dwarf. Gloin, Oin, and Bifur were thought by some fans to be present at Azanulbizar (due to doppelgangers in the scene), until Graham McTavish established that it was only Thorin/Balin/Dwalin, so there is some precedent of WETA recycling (similar) dwarf concepts in TH.

My Top 5 Wish List for "The Hobbit"
5. Legolas will surf down Smaug's neck
4. Bilbo will be revealed to a Robot
3. Naked PJ cameo as Ghan-Buri-Ghan
2. Use of not only 3D, but smell-o-vision, plus the inclusion of axes coming out of the seats and poking the audience when appropriate
1. Not only keep the claim that Thorin & Co. ran amok in Mirkwood "molesting people", but depict said incident in vivid detail!!!!!

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 7:02am

Post #3 of 18 (510 views)
Shortcut
Same thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Every time I see that shot, I always try to confirm whether it's Gloin or not - it certainly does look like him from the back.

However, as Captain Salt has said, considering the physical differences that has left a mark on Dwalin, Balin (and Thorin?), I doubt it's Gloin - since he wouldn't have changed at all after all those years ...

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

jtarkey
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 9:30am

Post #4 of 18 (536 views)
Shortcut
In the wide shot of Thror on the Throne in Erebor... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://screencapped.net/movie/lotr/displayimage.php?album=154&pid=490231#top_display_media

The dwarf next to Thorin looks a lot like Gloin.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

(This post was edited by jtarkey on Jul 25 2013, 9:35am)

-Bugi-

Jul 25 2013, 9:55am

Post #5 of 18 (495 views)
Shortcut
Or Frerin maybe ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought that one should be Frerin, definitely.

A ty mor ho! hoj mor ho! detvo mjho rodu,
kto kradmou rukou siahne na tvoju slobodu;
a o i tam duu d v tom boji divokom:
Mor ty len, a vo neby, ako by otrokom.
- S. Chalupka

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 10:00am

Post #6 of 18 (515 views)
Shortcut
Is this Gloin too? [In reply to] Can't Post

Another shot that seems to be Gloin is at the Battle of Azanulbizar here:

http://screencapped.net/...70#top_display_media

Again though, age doesn't seem to have done much to him, unlike Dwalin and Balin. Still, the resemblance is interesting ...

Not sure if the dwarf in the above screen shot is the same dwarf in this one ... the one to the far right:
http://screencapped.net/...18#top_display_media

Questions that need answering! Crazy

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 25 2013, 10:01am)

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Jul 25 2013, 11:40am

Post #7 of 18 (497 views)
Shortcut
Graham McTavish confirmed, [In reply to] Can't Post

Graham McTavish confirmed that it's just Thorin, Balin and Dwalin from the company at Azanulbizar Smile

Vocalist in the progressive metal band Renamed.

sycorax82
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 2:42pm

Post #8 of 18 (353 views)
Shortcut
It certainly looks like Peter Hambleton [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like him in not so heavy prosthetic, which would make sense for a younger Gloin. Though maybe he's just meant to be a random Dwarf?

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 3:26pm

Post #9 of 18 (325 views)
Shortcut
I always thought this was Gloin, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I meant at one time to start a thread to ask if anyone else shared my suspicions. But I assume that if it *were* Gloin we would know about it.

I also think that in the WETA books interviews with John Callen and Peter Hambleton indicate that Oin and Gloin were *not* at Erebor during the attack, but were instead off doing their merchant trading thing. However, they came back in time to see the destruction - can you picture them returning to see Dale burning and people fleeing in panic? How terrible that must have been.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 25 2013, 3:30pm

Post #10 of 18 (333 views)
Shortcut
Hmm. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the last screencap, the possible 'Gloin' actually resembles the younger Balin to me. Don't know why - something about the hairstyle. So my guess would just be 'generic Dwarf'. However, I don't see any harm in imagining that it could be an unnamed relative (I don't suppose it could be a female relative? Tongue) of Oin and Gloin.

I guess it's also not too much of a stretch of the imagination to think that Gloin and this Generic Dwarf bought their clothes from the same tailor. Perhaps that style was on sale? Wink

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 4:32pm

Post #11 of 18 (306 views)
Shortcut
Cheers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to officially disqualify my theory then Blush

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 25 2013, 4:33pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 4:34pm

Post #12 of 18 (310 views)
Shortcut
Just like they Let 3 Dwarves be Trolls... [In reply to] Can't Post

Why wouldn't They put the Cast in
as slightly different-looking warriors...
Saves Time,... Saves Money,
and also allows our boys to get their ActionON!
in what could be called a
Practice BATTLE?

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 4:34pm

Post #13 of 18 (310 views)
Shortcut
It does look like him, doesn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

But yes, I agree - it's just another random dwarf to actually looks like Gloin, hehe!Smile

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 5:08pm

Post #14 of 18 (311 views)
Shortcut
I know that Jackson has played around with the Dwarves' ages [In reply to] Can't Post

However, Gloin isn't even supposed to be born until after Smaug occupies Erebor.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 5:22pm

Post #15 of 18 (280 views)
Shortcut
Relatives [In reply to] Can't Post

Good idea! Family resemblances it is then Wink

Salmacis81
Grey Havens

Jul 26 2013, 1:20am

Post #16 of 18 (200 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin looks extremely un-Dwarven standing next to all of those dwarves.

Sinister71
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2013, 9:11pm

Post #17 of 18 (113 views)
Shortcut
well that was probably when it was a 170 year gap [In reply to] Can't Post

instead of the 60 that Jackson changed it to Wink

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 30 2013, 12:11am

Post #18 of 18 (112 views)
Shortcut
True. I am using Tolkien's chronology. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
instead of the 60 that Jackson changed it to Wink

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.