Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 20 2013, 3:30am

Post #1 of 22 (158 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

It's the late edition of the Walk to Rivendell this week as I recover from the exhausting, fun and meaningful experience of leading the older Girl Scouts at Day Camp this past week. How go your travels this week? Where in Middle Earth have they brought you?

There and Back Again
Group Challenge Progress

Miles reported last week: 222.56
Cumulative miles: 15,907.91
Miles along the journey: 1418.69
Miles out of the Lonely Mountain: 451.69

We're on a clear path in the last stretch to Beorn's house. We're picking up some... interesting... travel companions as we get closer to Beorn's. Wink

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 12
Cumulative miles: 673
Goal: There and Back Again!

Well, I've finally made it to Mirkwood (yippee...) and Beamer's not far behind me. On a positive note, I used a pedometer this week to track my walking distance at Day Camp and was pleasantly surprised to see how far I went in a day, just walking around doing my camp job. The weather was hot with afternoon storms blowing through. We didn't have to evacuate camp (thankfully!) but we did have to move the girls to a small picnic pavilion a couple times right before camp was done for the day to keep them out of the wind and somewhat protected from lightning.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 12
Cumulative miles: 659
Goal: Group Challenge

Beamer had fun and did well her first week as an older Girl Scout helping lead the younger ones at Day Camp. But she's completely wiped out after a week of working hard in the heat, so I sent her to bed and I hope she sleeps in tomorrow!

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Angharad73
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 7:26am

Post #2 of 22 (89 views)
Shortcut
A very busy week... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's been a hectic week here, with lots of stuff going on, places to get to etc. And since I walk practically everywhere, I got lots of mileage. We also went swimming, which, I suppose, counts for something.

Miles covered this week: 50
Cumulative miles: 930

This means, that I am almost 'There', I guess. Very exciting! I hope to manage the last bit before I go on holidays and then start the homeward journey after.

Arandiel, I use a pedometer every day. I've gotten so used to it that I don't go anywhere without it anymore. Plus, for longer hikes, I also use a GPS watch (birthday present from my husband). It's interesting to see how much I really do move every day. I've also become a bit competitive with myself (weird, I know...) - I always try to walk just a few steps more than that day before.

Delrond
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 8:14pm

Post #3 of 22 (92 views)
Shortcut
7 long weeks later... [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, fellow walkers, talkers, bikers, hikers, campers, spelunkers and drive-byers. I haven't checked in since the end of May and we have had a busy summer! Let me just get the miles out of the way - 159.3 since last check-in - which included lots of circuit training, running and yard work, plus spending a full Saturday constructing one of those back yard jungle gyms. When the directions say 10-12 hours for 2 people to complete, they must be talking about Bob Vila and Ty Pennington, because it took 4 of us to knock it out in the suggested time. Also, "all pieces are pre-drilled, sanded and cut to length" does not mean you are playing with Lincoln Logs. Make no mistake, there will be drilling and and such. Thankfully, I brought all my tools and a long extension cord.

So that was the boring stuff. I ran the evening 8k in early June but had to stop and walk the hilly course a couple of times. On a positive note, I did beat last year's time by ~1 minute. Next year, I really want to finish without walking. Little D is heavy into basketball, church and science camps this summer, which has given Mrs. D and I some much needed time to have quiet evenings for dinner and/or a movie. Seems like old times. Laugh But we do miss Little D when he's gone.

Summer vacation was a multi-stop 12 day trip to South Carolina. Charleston was just as lovely as we remembered. 2 nights on the beach and a 4th of July fireworks display off the pier was really cool.

After that, we spent a week with the parents on Hilton Head (on their dime, way too expensive for us) and enjoyed all the sights and sounds from this island community. Then it was back home, and to work (ugh), which brings me to today - a morning of yardwork - mowing and pulling the roots from several bushes out of our front landscaping. And just in time before the rain came.

Anyway, school starts 8/1, which is crazy to me, but there is a 2 week fall break now, so we will take that time to travel a bit. I have not quite caught gramma or sil, but my journey is nearing its end.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Miles since last check-in: 159.3
Cumulative miles: 1882

We are have been traveling along the road all day and are about to make camp for the night as it is beginning to rain. Weathertop is directly North of us. I think I may take a hike to the top and look to the West. Surely Hobbiton can't be that far? Well, maybe 175 miles is a stretch to see, but I'm going to check it out anyway.

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2013, 5:06am

Post #4 of 22 (67 views)
Shortcut
Swimming sure does count [In reply to] Can't Post

And looking at your mileage, I'd say you have had a busy week - wow!

Even after less than a week, I can see how motivating a pedometer could get. I'm thinking I'll keep using it and see how it goes, at least for a few weeks.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2013, 5:10am

Post #5 of 22 (77 views)
Shortcut
What a journey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your summer, and the Middle Earth trip you've nearly finished. It's good to hear things are going well for you and yours in all your adventuring. Keep us posted as you get closer to Bag End!

Iolani
Rivendell

Jul 21 2013, 12:24pm

Post #6 of 22 (74 views)
Shortcut
On time this time... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's last week's mileage. It was a good week. Not only exercise got done, but plenty of other work. The sense of accomplishment is most calming...thank the Lord for that! I earned my Sunday think. Cool

miles last week: 27.01
cumulative: 1276.17
goal: There and Back Again Group Challenge!

Have a TERRIFIC week guys!Laugh

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."
"What are we holding onto, Sam?"
"That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it's worth fighting for!"

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jul 22 2013, 4:45pm

Post #7 of 22 (72 views)
Shortcut
Busy here too... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've also been crazy busy too, so this is really the first chance I got to post my stats from the last two weeks. My grandparents have been having a lot of health problems lately and my mom was on vacation, so I had to take her place doing home-care and picking up prescriptions and what not. We also adopted a dog and it took a few days to teach her how to sit down when I'm trying to do things on the computer.

Stats From July 5-11:

Miles covered this week: 15.2
Cumulative miles: 160.67
Goal: There and back again!

Stats from July 12-18:

Miles covered this week: 9.9
Cumulative miles: 170.57
Goal: There and back again!
------------------------------------------------

On July 5th I also went on a Canoe trip and wanted to share some photos with you guys!
https://plus.google.com/photos/117635206565185571846/albums/5903478880872812337

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Jul 22 2013, 5:38pm

Post #8 of 22 (67 views)
Shortcut
Those pictures are beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing them, Lindenwyn!

I hope things calm down a bit for you & yours - it's stressful when family members have health issues. And another kind of stressful to bring a new pet home!

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jul 23 2013, 4:02pm

Post #9 of 22 (60 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

thanks, Arandiel! I hope things calm down too. It's easier now that my mom is back from vacation, so I don't have to run around quite as much, but it's still exhausting emotionally. on the upside, Shasta (our new dog) is settling in quite nicely.

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jul 24 2013, 9:03pm

Post #10 of 22 (73 views)
Shortcut
Nice pictures, Lindenwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping to do a canoe trip either this fall or next summer as the "barrel-riding" portion of my challenge. Unfortuneately, I'm not even to Rivendell yet.

Keep sharing and keep going!

Thanks for sharing your juorney. :)

(All: I'm working on my pics now, and will post them and my miles later this week.)

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 2:28pm

Post #11 of 22 (51 views)
Shortcut
Wups! Almost didn't make it!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That Girl Scout Troop is so lucky to have Beamer and you! WELL DONE!

We've made it a long way as a group! WOW!

I'm still working on my garage. Mercy, but this is the downside of being a packrat ;)

Hang in there everyone! See you on the road!

Miles covered: 55 miles
Cumulated miles: 2303
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 2:29pm

Post #12 of 22 (55 views)
Shortcut
That kind of walking is great [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not just the exercise... you're really getting somewhere! Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 2:32pm

Post #13 of 22 (53 views)
Shortcut
Wow! You have been busy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats on the record-breaking! *applause* And the trip sounds fabulous! I wanted to do a road trip this summer, but it's not gonna happen :)

Little D sounds like a chip off the ol' block to me! WELL DONE! And it's so great to see you!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 2:33pm

Post #14 of 22 (52 views)
Shortcut
Well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the mileage we accumulate when doing HUGE projects like that. It really is gratifying, isn't it? :)

Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 2:35pm

Post #15 of 22 (59 views)
Shortcut
You got a dog!? :D [In reply to] Can't Post

FANTASTIC! Do give us de"TAILS" :D WONDERFUL PICTURES!! WOW!

I hope your week is going better. It's wonderful when we can help out...but it's surprising how much time it takes.

Take Care :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Iolani
Rivendell

Jul 26 2013, 4:39pm

Post #16 of 22 (54 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Those are gorgeous photos! Incredible! The first one made me think of the Shire. Cool I hope things are going kinda easy on you.

"It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And you didn't want to know the end...for how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But then you realize in the end it's just a passing thing, this shadow. A new day will come! And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stuck with you, that meant something. Even if you were too small to understand. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories a lot of chances of turnin' back only they didn't. They kept going, because they were holdin' on to something."

Iolani
Rivendell

Jul 26 2013, 4:40pm

Post #17 of 22 (50 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely. VERY gratifying! Especially when you know you're working so hard. Smile

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jul 29 2013, 8:40pm

Post #18 of 22 (40 views)
Shortcut
very cool, Joe! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a great idea, although, you might have to wait awhile. Wink

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jul 29 2013, 8:52pm

Post #19 of 22 (37 views)
Shortcut
yes I did! [In reply to] Can't Post

haha. Her name is shasta, she's a 5 year old Black Lab who has way too much energy! (I'll post some pictures of her later)

yes, my week is going much better - although I was having some technology issues, my grandma is doing much better now.

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jul 29 2013, 8:54pm

Post #20 of 22 (41 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

It reminded me of The Shire, too! I almost forgot how beautiful western-Wisconsin is! yes, things are getting better. Cool

Joe-Mathews
Rivendell

Jul 30 2013, 2:07am

Post #21 of 22 (38 views)
Shortcut
Actually, Illinois [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original post. My photos were taken at Pere Marquette State Park in Illinois where the Illinois River meets the Mississippi.

The ol' Padre Jaques walked around quite a bit in the old days, but not with Tolkien as an inspiration. He's got a lot of places named after him.

Wisconsin is nice, too

Oh, and thanks for all the nice photo comments everyone! If you like dragons (the fly variety) you'll enjoy the next thread's pics.

'There is some woe that lies upon you... Why will you not tell me more?'
'For that woe is past,' said Galadriel; 'and I would take what joy is here left, untroubled by memory. And maybe there is woe enough yet to come, thought still hope may seem bright.'

Lindenwyn
The Shire

Jul 30 2013, 2:39am

Post #22 of 22 (58 views)
Shortcut
oh wait... [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you were talking about my picture. haha, sorry about the mix up. Cool
but yes, there seem to be places that remind us of the shire everywhere we go!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.