Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Congratulations to the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge on the birth of the new Prince of Cambridge!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2013, 9:41pm

Post #26 of 49 (224 views)
Shortcut
I like to keep Chocolate-covered Thorin and quibbles quite seperate. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ruins the fun. Wink

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 23 2013, 11:33pm

Post #27 of 49 (221 views)
Shortcut
Lovely [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, you completely missed what I was saying. Never once did I say that I wish we could go back to an absolute monarchy (which isn't what Britain is anyway). The word "lovely" was in reference to William, Kate, and their newborn son - the people in the title of the OP. I genuinely believe them to be lovely people and much better role models than the celebrities of America, namely the Kardashians, Lindsay Lohan, Justin Bieber, and the like.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

JWPlatt
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2013, 11:40pm

Post #28 of 49 (214 views)
Shortcut
Trappings & Infrastructure [In reply to] Can't Post

If you want a nice polish on your car, you still need the car.

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 23 2013, 11:47pm

Post #29 of 49 (210 views)
Shortcut
She's not [In reply to] Can't Post

You're right, Charles was just as big of a lout. In fact, like I said earlier, I wish we could skip a generation and just consign the entire Elder generation of royals to Ye Ole Royal Nursing Home. And let the new parents inherit. They were all awful. through and through; but at least Diana attempted to redeem herself when she took up the cause of banning the manufacture and useage of land mines. Most people don't remember this about her, but it was HUGE news in the months before her death. It wasn't just a typical "tea and crumpets" "cause" either. She traveled the West, meeting with world leaders, lobbying as aggressively as a Princess could lobby, for an International Treaty banning land mines. I remember when a vote on a key provision of the proposed treaty came up in Washington and Congress was on the verge of shooting it down, when a photogenic and well-liked Diana (at least in the US, at the time) showed up and gave a speech. I remember the looks on the faces of the generals who were there in the room. Smiles like the wax figures in Madame Tassaud's. The proviso cleared Congress and Clinton signed off on it. You just couldn't refuse a Princess, after all. The treaty was not that far from passage and ratification when Diana died., and the whole idea vanished without a trace.

Put me down for a conspiracy theorist, but I believe to this day that, like Rolling Stone journalist Micheal Hastings, she took on the United States military and paid the price, with a bunch of "lovely" royal kin who weren't too keen on her having a Muslim boyfriend, happy to be of assistance,or at least giving their tacit blessing.

Bring on "Wills" and Kate, I say. They're arguably the first British Royals in centuries who seem to be decent people. One can only hope this is b/c they took a good look at their family and are determined to not be like them.

I am curious as to what the name will be. Will he be named for Charles; side of the family or Diana's. I don't normally follow this stuff, but you can only wonder if she will be remembered. After all, she's not here to tell her side of things is she?

ANYWAY--won't spoil anymore a happy subject! Keep calm and carry on.Laugh

(This post was edited by Sunflower on Jul 23 2013, 11:51pm)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 24 2013, 12:16am

Post #30 of 49 (207 views)
Shortcut
Happy for Great-Gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a fan of Queen Elizabeth. She is the last vestige of the older generation that has a strong sense of responsibility. She has done her duty to her country and put her people first throughout her life. Her grandson and granddaughter-in-law seem like they embody the same characteristic. Perhaps Baby Cambridge will bring a renewal to England that she so desperately needs. Hope they name him Arthur.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jul 24 2013, 12:21am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 24 2013, 5:44pm

Post #31 of 49 (190 views)
Shortcut
The Prince of Cambridge now has a name.... [In reply to] Can't Post

George Alexander Louis.

Smile

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 24 2013, 5:58pm

Post #32 of 49 (161 views)
Shortcut
So I guess he will be George VII ? // [In reply to] Can't Post

acheron
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 6:01pm

Post #33 of 49 (199 views)
Shortcut
not necessarily [In reply to] Can't Post

King George VI was "Albert Frederick Arthur George", but picked his regnal name as "George" despite always been known as Albert or Bertie previously.

There is speculation the current Prince of Wales, "Charles Phillip Arthur George" may do the same if/when the time comes, in which case he'd be "George VII".

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 24 2013, 6:26pm

Post #34 of 49 (154 views)
Shortcut
Interesting Acheron - I did not know that about Charles. Thanks ! (no wonder it gets confusing)// [In reply to] Can't Post

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 24 2013, 6:26pm

Post #35 of 49 (168 views)
Shortcut
Yay for a name! [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I had been hoping for Arthur. He's such a little cutie. I'm glad we didn't have to wait too long for a name. Speaking of names, is it a UK thing to delay the picking of a name? Or is it just a royalty thing to release the name late? The article you linked to says that Charles's name wasn't released for a month. Just curious Smile

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 24 2013, 6:31pm

Post #36 of 49 (176 views)
Shortcut
He can also chose to be called ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Arthur I or Philip I (his full name is Charles Philip Arthur George). I think George VII makes sense for two reasons, 1) in honour of his Grandfather, and 2) the notorious Stuart Kings named Charles. However, it would be utterly confusing for everyone else. Wink

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 24 2013, 6:32pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 24 2013, 6:37pm

Post #37 of 49 (158 views)
Shortcut
Just a royalty thing [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's normal for parents to take a certain amount of time to chose a name for their child - not everyone chooses a name beforehand. However, in the past, there has been some "secrecy" surrounding new born Royals, as you say. The reasons could be anything from safety to simply having not decided. The UK Press weren't expecting the name to be announced so soon, it seems.

Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 24 2013, 6:39pm

Post #38 of 49 (157 views)
Shortcut
Yes, quite utterly confusing! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Arthur I or Philip I (his full name is Charles Philip Arthur George). I think George VII makes sense for two reasons, 1) in honour of his Grandfather, and 2) the notorious Stuart Kings named Charles. However, it would be utterly confusing for everyone else. Wink

You really have to know who you are talking about if the given first name (and name one reads in the press for years) is different than the ascension name.

In which case the little Prince may be ... [ ] ....blanks indicating impossible to speculate!!!!

acheron
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 6:49pm

Post #39 of 49 (161 views)
Shortcut
as far as I know [In reply to] Can't Post

he can be called anything he wants, though it'd certainly be weird if he didn't pick one of his own names.

I'm not sure he could sell "King Arthur". Wink

And "Philip" would be a complicated choice too.

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 24 2013, 7:14pm

Post #40 of 49 (144 views)
Shortcut
I see. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know if it was a British thing to delay choosing a name until after the birth of the baby. Most people I have met over here tend to work on that during the entire pregnancy, which is why I wondered. Smile

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2013, 8:35pm

Post #41 of 49 (150 views)
Shortcut
additionally [In reply to] Can't Post

queen victoria's first name was alexandrina.

she's another one who opted for a name change (or had it opted for her).

cheers : )

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

(This post was edited by Maciliel on Jul 24 2013, 8:36pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 24 2013, 10:42pm

Post #42 of 49 (129 views)
Shortcut
I wish our local news reporters would remember this. [In reply to] Can't Post

They keep referring to the baby as the future King George the VII but I clearly remember a news story years ago that mentioned Charles had decided he'd take George as his name when he ascends the throne.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 25 2013, 12:41am

Post #43 of 49 (112 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Telpemairo - I did not know that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 25 2013, 3:49am

Post #44 of 49 (117 views)
Shortcut
Did you all see Stephen Colbert's report of the new royal baby? [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.colbertnation.com/...yal-afterbirth--013-

push it to 3:00 if you're impatient.

and for those unaware... Colbert's humor is irreverent and there might just be some 'adult' words (*cough*WeinerJokes*cough*) visible on the main page.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 25 2013, 3:54am

Post #45 of 49 (97 views)
Shortcut
Ah! This get the win. :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ethel Duath
Valinor

Jul 25 2013, 4:00am

Post #46 of 49 (96 views)
Shortcut
Ow! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or did you mean something like "isn't 't r'm'n't'c"?
Angelic

acheron
Gondor

Jul 25 2013, 11:54am

Post #47 of 49 (99 views)
Shortcut
LOL, glad you appreciated it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently the current royals are indeed descended from both kings Æthelred, so you could consider it an old family name. Wink

sherlock
Gondor

Jul 26 2013, 11:45am

Post #48 of 49 (57 views)
Shortcut
Hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Stephen Colbert. It's cool that he's a huge Tolkien fan, too!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2013, 9:28pm

Post #49 of 49 (48 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're a couple that makes me feel so happy whenever I see them, and now a son :) I was hoping one of his names would be "Spencer" in honour of his paternal Grandmother. *sigh* But this all is just so wonderful!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.