Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
beards grow and considerations

Kili Son of Dis
The Shire

Jul 23 2013, 3:32pm

Post #1 of 6 (864 views)
Shortcut
beards grow and considerations Can't Post

Hello to all you guys!
I wanted to bring to your attention a thought on the development of the beards of the Dwarves in the course of the films of "The Hobbit". Beginning with the next film, "The Desolation of Smaug", we know that the Dwarves will face the rugged and dangerous cavity of Mirkwood, only to be kidnapped by the Elves of Thranduil and then escape through the barrels! In all this I think any of us have imagined, that the beards and braids of each Dwarf will melt and will make an impression even more Dwarven some characters such as Nori, Dori and Bofur. Not only that, I have the distinct impression that something very interesting that might only be in the third and final film in the trilogy, "The Hobbit": Richard Armitage, recently gave an explanation as to whether the little beard Thorin, Fili and Kili. He said that is a sign of mourning about the loss of their family and the death of Thror, King under the Mountain. Now, I think that PJ is thinking what I'm about to say for a long time and it will be a surprise for all of us. I think the last chapter of the saga, just Thorin, Fili and Kili, when will fall in battle, they will have a beard much longer than what we see. The fallen in battle of the Company of Dwarves, covered with armor and new weapons, looking a bit like the scene in "The Return of the King" in which Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli down from the pirate ship of Umbar. Returning to the central part of the speech, I think Thorin, Fili and Kili have a beard much longer, since the separation of time between the start on the journey and the Battle of the five armies, is very long. I think it will be a nice surprise for all of us.Smile What do you think about that? ideas?

Hello to all! Wink

"Many who live deserve death, and many of those that die deserve life. You are able to assess, Frodo? Do not be too eager to bestow death and judgment. Even the wisest do not know all the outcomes."

moonrunes
The Shire

Jul 23 2013, 4:51pm

Post #2 of 6 (379 views)
Shortcut
Ori [In reply to] Can't Post

In the latest video blog you can see that Ori's beard has grown a lot more, which is nice. Nori and Bomburs hair have also fallen into disrepairLaugh

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Jul 23 2013, 5:25pm

Post #3 of 6 (376 views)
Shortcut
Just don't forget . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

They get a chance to clean up in Laketown. Just before they go to meet Smaug!

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Jul 23 2013, 7:51pm

Post #4 of 6 (310 views)
Shortcut
beards [In reply to] Can't Post

As much as I would like to see the beards grow, I don't think it will happen.

Dwarves are extremely hairy, and since they don't cut their beards except for shame or grief, I would say that they must grow very very (as in a millimeter per year) slowly, otherwise the dwarves who don't cut their beards would have Rapunzel beards!

Though that could be humorous, I would think it more likely that they grow extremely slowly, and what "lengthening" we happen to see in the films is due primarily to their elaborate hair do's and beard braids coming undone to show their suffering and hardship as they spend more and more time in the wilds, specifically Mirkwood, and then become half drowned look-like-the-cat-dragged-them-in dwarves after barrels.

Having extremely curly hair (and long, though it isn't long enough for my tastes yet!), I know that the difference between my sopping wet hair that is straightened briefly (due to the weight of the water) is about five inches less than my hair curly when it is dry, and if I were to braid it, it loses two more inches easily in the process.

So, if a dwarf's hair (and/or beard) is braided, especially intricately as we have seen, then it begins to come undone, it will appear to have grown, but its just looser and hangs lower, and when you add it getting wet, that lengthens it to the eye even more, though it actually hasn't grown much.

As to whether or not PJ&co actually have them grow it out, that remains to be seen. But given their reasons (emotion, expression, plus that inevitable relatability and "hot" factor that they seem to be focused on) for having the line of Durin's heirs have shorter beards, I doubt it.

SPOILER

The impact and connection Thorin, Fili, and Kili have on the audience, especially when it comes to relatability (and "hotness" for all those fangirls out there!) will be EXTREMELY important in their death scenes, otherwise the impact may be lessened. I have no doubt that PJ&co are going to want the audience sobbing their eyes out at those scenes, and if, due to their beards growing more, they have a slightly harder time relating, the impact the production crew desires will not be as high.

So, IMO, I think its just the dishevelment and wear and tear of travel that makes the dwarves' beards and hair seem longer as their journey progresses. But, feel free to correct me if I am proven wrong with DOS and TABA come out Cool

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 24 2013, 12:15am

Post #5 of 6 (227 views)
Shortcut
Movie beards don't grow. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn traveled through the wilderness for months with a 3-day stubble. For that matter, Sam starved for months without losing an ounce of weight. Once a movie character gets a "look" that tends to be it.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Jul 26 2013, 1:52pm

Post #6 of 6 (62 views)
Shortcut
In the picture that PJ posted yesterday [In reply to] Can't Post

Kili does have more of a beard than he did in AUJ

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/...558_1120981461_n.jpg

We'll have to see if that ever ends up meaning anything.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.