Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
AUJ Extended Edition Expectations
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jul 23 2013, 9:32pm

Post #1 of 42 (2263 views)
Shortcut
AUJ Extended Edition Expectations Can't Post

We should be getting some more solid details in the near future I'd imagine. Extended run time of 20-25 minutes? Will it be a steel book? Price point -(I'd hope $30 US Laugh)

How do you think it will compare to the LOTR DVD EE's? Will they break the film into two discs to fit all the commentaries? Despite it being on the larger capacity Blu Ray? Will it come with a 3D disc? (Couldn't care less personally.) Maybe 2 extra "appendices" discs -blu ray or course...

What might it have for featurettes? Will the behind the scenes show more of the upcoming films?

And, what we've all been waiting for -How much will the triumvirate reveal in AUJ's commentary about changing over to the unexpected Azog sideplot so late in the game? The difficulties they faced and whether certain scenes and pieces of animation/design might have been rushed?

AUJ Theatrical 169 min. + ?
FOTR Theatrical 178 min.
TTT Theatrical 179 min
TRoTK Theatrical 200 min.

As to the LOTR ee's, I couldn't even find their individual added run times of actual footage. I think they're around 25 minutes.

Lastly, the scenes your hoping for and what the "fleeting nudity" might be. I for one will like to see more of Dale's ruin and the shire. And the Goblin King.

November 12th is the word.

Kendalf
Rohan

Jul 23 2013, 10:15pm

Post #2 of 42 (1073 views)
Shortcut
My expectations are... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Extended run time of 20-25 minutes?
Will they break the film into two discs to fit all the commentaries?
Will it come with a 3D disc?
What might it have for featurettes?
How much will the triumvirate reveal in AUJ's commentary about changing over to the unexpected Azog sideplot so late in the game?

Yes, about there.
I'm not sure. They may do to make the package feel more "premium" and justify a higher price tag.
The 3D version will, I suspect.
I'm expecting the extras to be on a par with the LotR EEs; they really raised the bar for DVDs and nobody will want to fall short this time around.
I'm fully expecting them to tell us why their version of events is better than Tolkien's.

My main expectation, though, is that the film won't actually feel anywhere near as transformed as any of the LotRs did. I suspect, to be honest, we've already seen plenty of the EE material already in the TE cut, reinserted to beef up the running time once AUJ's ending was brought forward by an hour or so.

"I have found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2013, 10:16pm

Post #3 of 42 (985 views)
Shortcut
I would love [In reply to] Can't Post

A Steelbook
Extended Shire scenes. Extended Dale scenes.
Extended Rivendell scenes
Commentary. I will really be disappointed if both Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage both are not on the commentary. I'm pretty sure Richard will be. Not so sure about Martin. We'll see though. I hope he is.
I hope they have the multiple track commentaries: VFX, Director and Cast

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2013, 10:26pm

Post #4 of 42 (956 views)
Shortcut
What I would like to see [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really wanting to see Bofur's song. Ever since it was mentioned by James Nesbitt, I've been wanting to hear it.

That and an extended version of 'Misty Mountains'.

Metal Slug
Rivendell

Jul 23 2013, 10:50pm

Post #5 of 42 (934 views)
Shortcut
The only commentary [In reply to] Can't Post

I really ever listened to on all three was the writers one. Though, I would be interested in hearing the actors this time around. If not, there seems to be a few interview/ behind the scenes documentaries with the actors. I like how Richard seems so passionate about it all, granted he landed the better part and Martin Freeman never even read the books previously.

A company of fifteen would be hard to record, and of course, Stephen Hunter wouldn't be allowed to speak.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 23 2013, 11:41pm

Post #6 of 42 (853 views)
Shortcut
Well I can't agree [In reply to] Can't Post

That RA's part is any better than Martins. This is after all The Hobbit and Martin's parts are every much as good to me in the movie as RA's. While true that Martin had not read the books, there are many actors in the LOTR movies that also had not read the books and I don't see it as a requirement to do well or to do the commentary. I do think that RA was a bit more into the whole experience than Martin who was away from his young family and I think thus divided on where he wanted to be. I know he enjoyed making the movie but he's readily admitted in interviews that he doesn't really enjoy the press promo's and stuff he has to do to support it. In that respect Sherlock is probably more his deal. He can film and live at home and not do a ton of promos other than a few here and there (e.g. Radio Times). I do think MF has a unique ability as an actor and I would love to see his take on the scenes. I hope we get that. I would really like for both he and RA to do them.

I am thinking since there are so many in the cast we may get some for one movie, perhaps a different set for the other etc. That would be okay. I would like to hear everyone's take on the films. And I loved listening to Jackson et. al. do the commentary. Can't wait for that too.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 12:26am

Post #7 of 42 (861 views)
Shortcut
Really hoping to see Gandalf meeting child Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

A protracted Dale sequence
Perhaps more of Radagast prior to the spider attack on Rhosgobel
More of Bilbo and the dwarves at Rivendell
And commentaries! Not just the actors but the writers so that perhaps some of the speculation about why Peter Jackson did this or that may finally be put to rest. Smile

The Grey Elf
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 12:29am

Post #8 of 42 (802 views)
Shortcut
Is his song in AUJ? [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the impression it was later in the story. Regardless, I'd love to hear it, too.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2013, 1:11am

Post #9 of 42 (811 views)
Shortcut
Writers [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I liked the writer commentary. I hope Phil and Fran do it for sure.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2013, 1:59am

Post #10 of 42 (845 views)
Shortcut
Here is an Empire interview quote [In reply to] Can't Post

James Nesbitt- "I get to sing a song I actually wrote words by J.R.R. Tolkien, music by James Nesbitt. Its called the Man In The Moon song, so it sounds like its by R.E.M. I sing it in Rivendell and all the rest of them join in. However, it may not be in the bloody thing..."

Let's hope it makes the extended edition!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2013, 2:06am

Post #11 of 42 (771 views)
Shortcut
oh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do hope we get to hear it. I really do in the EE! Good catch on that.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 24 2013, 2:07am

Post #12 of 42 (786 views)
Shortcut
Misty Mountains [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love to have the entire song as well, but I recall reading somewhere that the verses we've heard are the only ones that were recorded Frown

But who knows. Howard Shore has always recorded extra music for the EEs. So perhaps they may consider recording the complete version of that song while doing so. I hope so...

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 6:23am

Post #13 of 42 (718 views)
Shortcut
Apart from everything else [In reply to] Can't Post

as my fellow posters have already stated about the special features, commentaries, etc - I'm really hoping that the standard DVD version is identical to The Lord of the Rings extended editions - with the slipcase and four (or five)-page DVD holder and drawings on the discs themselves - just to keep them in-line with the others and make a fine collection Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Jul 24 2013, 6:54am

Post #14 of 42 (762 views)
Shortcut
According to IMDb... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

AUJ Theatrical 169 min. + ?
FOTR Theatrical 178 min.
TTT Theatrical 179 min
TRoTK Theatrical 200 min.

As to the LOTR ee's, I couldn't even find their individual added run times of actual footage. I think they're around 25 minutes.

FotR Runtime:
178 min | 208 min (special extended edition) | 228 min (including extended credits)

TTT runtime:
179 min | 223 min (special extended edition) | 235 min (extended edition)

RotK Runtime:
201 min | 251 min (extended edition) | 263 min (Special Extended Blu-Ray Edition)

A lot more than 25 mins extra footage in the case of TTT & RotK

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
Victoria Monfort

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 8:51am

Post #15 of 42 (670 views)
Shortcut
The main difference is [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR had excluded book content to include and The Hobbit only has further invented content to add. There is no additional Tolkien to be seen.

jtarkey
Rohan

Jul 24 2013, 9:00am

Post #16 of 42 (677 views)
Shortcut
I would say the EE's consist of nearly a 50/50 split... [In reply to] Can't Post

Between invented character development, and missing scenes from the books.

Don't easily forget the drinking game....

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Glum
Bree

Jul 24 2013, 10:28am

Post #17 of 42 (596 views)
Shortcut
I disagree... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not all the riddles in the dark were in the movie. We also haven't seen Bilbo observing Rhudaur ruins. The Misty Mountains songs is much longer in the book. And there might be other bits (not the talking purse, though ;-) )... I'm not saying that we'll see this stuff in EE, but who knows...

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 10:33am

Post #18 of 42 (580 views)
Shortcut
Possibilities [In reply to] Can't Post

I think we'll get a number of packaging options. The default will hopefully be some kind of digipak or even digibook, perhaps in a slipbox, like the LOTR EE's. Then again like the LOTR EE's there would be a collector's gift set, which would include the normal release along with a bonus disc and a WETA collector's piece - hopefully the two Erebor statues as bookends. Then in addition to these there would be retailer exclusive steelbooks and whatnot.

I'm not going to speculate on footage or features, but the number of discs will be interesting. The 3D Blu-ray will have to be split over 2 discs, but will the 2D version? They could get it all on one disc sure but PJ may want to optimize quality, or perhaps even just replicate the EE tradition to date. So that would be 4 Blu-rays just for the films, and we can expect at least one other for extra features. But if Warner wanted to include a DVD copy (sans special features bar commentaries) and a digital copy with the set, you're looking at another 3 DVDs on top of that. So that could be as many as 8 discs in all, possibly even 9 if there is 2 BDs of features. It's possible Warner might offer 3D versions separately, but I'm sure they'd only do one gift set edition at least, so it will be expensive I expect.

Elfhelm
The Shire

Jul 24 2013, 10:44am

Post #19 of 42 (563 views)
Shortcut
The absolute main thing is that the whole movie is on one disc (2D Bluray). Having to swap discs midway through is soo annoying. n/t [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 24 2013, 10:48am

Post #20 of 42 (580 views)
Shortcut
Not sure there will be a DVD version [In reply to] Can't Post

Just as LotR EE weren't available on VHS, I doubt TH EE will be available on DVD. Most likely they'll be exclusive Blu-ray releases.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 24 2013, 11:01am

Post #21 of 42 (603 views)
Shortcut
Maybe not as transformed. But I think it'll feel improved, more rounded and less rushed [In reply to] Can't Post

I know a lot of the cut scenes were things that tied it to the second film a bit better. Introducing characters like Girion, and the black arrows and explaining why Thranduil didn't help the dwarves and things.

But I think the main improvements will be character moments. The Bag-end scene is apparently longer and we even get to know a few Goblin Town goblins better.

It seems from the scene descriptions that the character moments were cut from the theatrical version to make way for drawn-out action sequences. So I'm really looking forward to getting to know the characters better and hopefully caring about them more.

Also looking forward to the young Bilbo scene and the Narsil scene! Hopefully we'll get more of an understanding as to why Bilbo wanted to retire in Rivendell

pulpfiction16
Rivendell

Jul 24 2013, 11:26am

Post #22 of 42 (581 views)
Shortcut
What a waste .. [In reply to] Can't Post

The main sell of Blu-ray's has always been the better video/audio quality. What's the point of watching the Hobbit in HD if you want it to be compressed all to hell? (The extended will be three hours plus)

I'll take two discs over one riddled with compression artifacts any day.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 11:49am

Post #23 of 42 (546 views)
Shortcut
These are all fairly minor [In reply to] Can't Post

and there will be no wholly new scenes that are Tolkien. In the context of the movieverse I do not think this means there is no potential for scenes with possible merit, it is just that the prospect of them does not excite me nearly as much as seeing more of the Hobbit as written by Tolkien, which is not really possible because tge source material has been all but used for tge joyrney so far. They might extebd the eagle drop off but I doubt ir. The rumoured but all but debunked Gondolin scene was an exciting prospect, excluding the fan fic about Gothmog riding Smaug.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 11:54am

Post #24 of 42 (539 views)
Shortcut
Swapping discs [In reply to] Can't Post

was a feature that grew on me, sortof like movie intermission breaks, time to make a coffee, stock up on junk food etc.

I have yet to see special feature discs to come within daylight of the LOTR EE's. Hopefully Sir PJ & Co can continue their fine tradition with AUJ, DOS & TABA EE's.

Lindele
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 1:07pm

Post #25 of 42 (561 views)
Shortcut
LOTR EEs [In reply to] Can't Post

The LOTR EE's were much longer than 25 minutes longer

FOTR - 30 min longer
TTT - 45 min longer
ROTK - 50+ min longer

Also I think it is already pretty much confirmed that AUJ will be 2 Blu-rays. Thankfully PJ is a director who appreciates quality, so he likes to compress his films as little as possible when it comes to home video.

My prediction:

AUJ EE - 8 discs
2-3D Blu-rays with film
2-Regular Blu-rays with film
2-Blu-rays with special features
2-DVDs with film

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.