Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
In memory of Reverend (long)

Elizabeth
Valinor

Jul 23 2013, 7:34am

Views: 566
Shortcut
In memory of Reverend (long) Can't Post

I suddenly realized that today is the 10th anniversary of the death of Reverend, a TORn "First ager" who was much beloved, especially in the Reading Room. Reverend was, in fact, a Baptist minister. He was extremely well-read in Tolkien ouvre and lore, and had refreshing and often witty insights on his works as well as interesting moral insights.

Here are a few of my bookmarked Reverend posts. Since his entire TORn career was on the old boards, most of these are re-posts:

On Sam's Speech in TTT movie:

Here I must sharply criticize the movie (which I generally endorse) for Just Not Getting It. Frodo and Sam carry on because carrying on is itself the right thing to do, NOT because there was some good worth fighting for. Frodo isn't holding on to anything; his despair has NOT lifted, and he is sure that there will be nothing good to come home to. But he has been given a duty, and will keep faith with those who entrusted it to him, even should they and he perish. Again, I think it a philosophy particularly relevant to the Trenches of the Somme, and not a bad one for life in general.

The mysterious mail shirt. Made for the boy Earendil?

A classic: On Balrog Wings

Which Elves can sail West?

Morgoth's Taint explained.

I find it very helpful to think of Morgoth's corruption of the earth in terms of radioactivity; there's a little bit of it everywhere (background Morgoth), and it can be concentrated and/or used as a power source.

And a master-work: In Inquiry into the Waning of the Dunedain (are their lives really shorter as time passes?).

Notes on Dwarven engineering

Finally (thanks to a mathom from Entmaiden long ago), "is Legolas the greatest fighting Elf?"

Not nearly. óReverendó

He's not even in sight of the top ten. My ranking;

1. Feanor; held off several Balrogs for some unspecified, but prolonged, time in single combat. And besides, he's just #1 in everything.

2. Fingolfin. Feanor's brother. Fought Morgoth one-on-one before the gates of Angband. Sure, he died, but would YOU mess with the guy who is the reason the Devil is lame?

3. Ecthelion. This one could be argued, but the Lord of the Fountain of Gondolin took down Gothmog, Lord of the Balrogs WITH TWO BROKEN ARMS.

4. Finrod Felagund. Took on Sauron in magical combat. He lost, but made it respectable. Then when a werewolf came to eat Beren while they were chained to a wall, Finrod broke his chains and killed the thing barehanded. I don't see Leggy-poo even trying that trick.

5. Maedhros. Son of Feanor, we don't have many records of his great deeds, but he's got to go in here somewhere. The greatest warrior of the Sons of Feanor, he lost his right hand, but became equally dangerous with his left.

6. Gil-Galad. With his Spear Agilos, with Elendil and Narsil at his side, the High King was 'invincible.' Together, those two took down Sauron WITH THE RING.

7. Mablung of the Heavy Hand; could easily be swapped with #8 below, Mablung was Thingol Greycloak's enforcer for about fifteen thousand years.

8. Beleg Strongbow. The greatest tracker of all time, the most loyal friend, and the hair-tearing death scene. Thingol's left-hand man.

9. Glorfindel. Anybody who kills a Balrog deserves a spot. And dying doesn't disqualify, since EVERYBODY who fights a Balrog dies. Besides, he got better.

10. Turgon. For his heroics at the fall of Gondolin.

Below these ten you have the rest of the Sons of Feanor, and a truckload of other High Elves of the First Age (Including everybody whose name begins with 'Fin'). Gwindor of Nargothrond, led an ill-advised charge at the Battle of Unnumbered Tears that cut clean through the host of Morgoth, and BROKE THROUGH THE GATES OF ANGBAND. Cut off, captured, tortured, and enslaved, Gwindor survived, escaped, and made it cross-country back home. As Princes of the Noldor go, he's got to be considered a third-rater.

THEN you can start to think about Third Age folk. Gildor and his troop are Exiles. Do you realize what that means? It means they marched out of the Undying Lands and fought through the whole War of the Great Jewels AND EVERY WAR SINCE. And I am sure that High-Elven spear-carriers like Erestor in the House of Elrond wouldn't have to break stride to whomp a late-born Sinda like Legolas. Elrond himself is no doubt a heavy hitter, what with the blood of Beren and Tuor in the mix.

No, Legolas may be at the high end of the rankings among a rustic folk of a degenerate age, but he, like us all, can't hold a candle to the heroes of old.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Jul 23 2013, 7:43am)

Subject User Time
In memory of Reverend (long) Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jul 23 2013, 7:34am
    *warm hug* Thank you, Elizabeth grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 23 2013, 10:36am
        It was the 22nd. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jul 23 2013, 5:55pm
    Thanks, Elizabeth NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Jul 23 2013, 11:39am
    Oh, thank you! entmaiden Send a private message to entmaiden Jul 23 2013, 3:18pm
    A great testament to a person Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Jul 23 2013, 3:28pm
    Thank you so much, Elizabeth. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Jul 23 2013, 7:45pm
    How thoughtful squire Send a private message to squire Jul 24 2013, 3:05am
        At the time, the impact was tremendous. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jul 24 2013, 7:04am
            So sad, he wouldn't be much older than my father is now, and he's still VERY active! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Jul 24 2013, 1:35pm
            {{{Elizabeth}}} grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 24 2013, 4:23pm
    Nice decent guy. Darkstone Send a private message to Darkstone Jul 24 2013, 1:47pm
    Oh my... look what I found... grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 24 2013, 4:57pm
    What a pleasure to get acquainted Ethel Duath Send a private message to Ethel Duath Jul 25 2013, 2:47am
    Reverend is missed. Silverlode Send a private message to Silverlode Jul 25 2013, 3:32am
    But wait, there's more! Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Jul 25 2013, 4:21am
        You're very welcome Alassea Elensar Send a private message to Alassea Elensar Jul 25 2013, 4:27am
        This is wonderful!! :) // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Jul 25 2013, 2:19pm
    A quiet salute to someone I never knew.... dormouse Send a private message to dormouse Jul 26 2013, 6:08pm
    Thank you for that fine tribute, Elizabeth. Kimi Send a private message to Kimi Jul 26 2013, 8:10pm
    Wow. Thank you Elizabeth. Elwen Send a private message to Elwen Aug 1 2013, 5:17pm
    He is still deeply missed wezan Send a private message to wezan Sep 8 2013, 4:56pm
    I'm still wandering through this new and improved TORn ... Dame Ioreth Send a private message to Dame Ioreth Oct 8 2013, 1:38pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.