Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies did you watch this weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2013, 12:00pm

Post #1 of 37 (291 views)
Shortcut
What movies did you watch this weekend? Can't Post

deej is busy with Comic Con traveling, so I'm posting in her stead.

*Does best deej impression, which probably isn't very good*

What movies or TV did you watch this weekend? Tell us about them here.

As for the Family Notta, we took in Despicable Me II on Friday night. It was highly enjoyable, probably not as much as the first movie, but worth the tickets nonetheless. Also worth it - the movie theater by our house just did a complete renovation. They took out more than half the seats and put in giant lazy-boy-like recliners. Wow - so comfy and a great way to watch the show. They went from nearly empty theaters on opening nights to pretty full weeks after the release. The novelty will wear off (and the seats will get yucky, I'm sure) soon enough, I'd guess.

Mrs. Notta & I are also binge-watching Downton Abby. We were late to the game but watched season 1 about a year ago. We kept waiting for season 2 to show up for free on Netflix, but finally broke down and bought the DVDs. We've plowed through season 2 and are now most of the way through season 3, which we recorded on our DVR. No spoilers here, but in the last episode we watched... Broken. Heart.
Unsure

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Patty
Immortal

Jul 22 2013, 1:26pm

Post #2 of 37 (164 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, another Downton fan. I'm Notta surprised your heart is broken. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Permanent address: Into the West

paperC
Rivendell

Jul 22 2013, 1:47pm

Post #3 of 37 (160 views)
Shortcut
Shaun of the dead [In reply to] Can't Post

4.5/5 !

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2013, 1:59pm

Post #4 of 37 (172 views)
Shortcut
Shaun of the Dead [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched Shaun of the Dead also. It was on at the house we rented at the coast. I love that movie everytime I see it. Can't wait for World's End to release here in the U.S. in August.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 22 2013, 2:33pm

Post #5 of 37 (155 views)
Shortcut
had to watch the Amanda Root/Ciaran Hinds "Persuasion" again [In reply to] Can't Post

there's been a "Jane Austen Marathon" going on cable TV that replays the terrible (imho) recent dramatization of "Persuasion" - after catching bits of it I just had to watch the good version!

Also revisited "Dean Spanley" - had dog-loving friends visiting for the weekend, and all dog-lovers need to see that movie.

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 22 2013, 3:32pm

Post #6 of 37 (142 views)
Shortcut
Now go watch "Paul"! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It stars those two same blokes (Simon Pegg (Scotty of Star Trek films) and Nick Frost who go to the U.S. to attend Comic Con and end up on a FANtastic adventure! I watched it this weekend in honour of Comic Con ;)

Then watch for a movie coming out this summer and is done by the same people who did Sean of the Dead called The World's End AND it also stars… wait for it… MARTIN FREEMAN (who also has a little bitty part in Sean of the Dead). It looks like it's gonna be fun! Here's the synopsis: Five friends who reunite in an attempt to top their epic pub crawl from 20 years earlier unwittingly become humankind's only hope for survival.
Here's a link to the trailer http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi2087953945/?ref_=tt_ov_vi

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 22 2013, 3:33pm

Post #7 of 37 (136 views)
Shortcut
*high five* GMTA! // [In reply to] Can't Post

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 22 2013, 3:49pm

Post #8 of 37 (146 views)
Shortcut
RIPD [In reply to] Can't Post

Which stands for Rest In Peace Department, starring Jeff Bridges and Ryan Reynolds. The premise sounded like a lot of fun: an after-life police department who retrieve those naughty ones who refuse to leave the here-and-now. And I love Jeff Bridges, especially for his roles in Starman and more recently True Grit. But even his acting can't save RIPD from a bad script. It wasn't funny at all, although it was meant to be a comedy, and the CGI was bad. I thought Bridges was wasted in this role where he played a caricature of his western persona in True Grit, and Ryan Reynolds was just bland. RIP indeed.

(Then I came home and watched his performance in True Grit, which I have on DVD, and was amazed again. I love this film! And the young girl who plays Mattie Ross, Haile Steinfeld, is outstanding.)

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Elutherian
Rohan

Jul 22 2013, 3:53pm

Post #9 of 37 (143 views)
Shortcut
The Conjuring [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one of the best horror films I've ever seen.

I'm not the type of person that scares easily, but that film legitimately creeped me out.

The Grey Pilgrim, they once called me. Three hundred lives of men I walked this earth, and now I have no time...

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 22 2013, 5:09pm

Post #10 of 37 (147 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

20 Feet From Stardom (2013) A stunning documentary about the backup singers of rock-and-roll’s biggest acts. Inspiring, heartbreaking, and fun. You’ll never listen to certain old songs the same way again, including ones from Sting, Mick Jagger, and other giants.
-Very highly recommended if you love rock and roll.

Only God Forgives. (2012). Extremely violent, with one dimensional characters. Yet somehow the surreal aesthetic is compelling. Not everyone’s cup of tea. I mainly went because I’d heard at Caan half the audience booed and walked out while the other half gave a standing ovation. Plus of course I have some fond memories of Bangkok. (Though this film reminded me of the time I was mugged there. In broad daylight. In the middle of a busy street. By a kid who wasn’t more than 10 years old. Totally incapacitated me with pain by kicking me in the back of the knee)
-Not recommended for the squeamish, or unadventurous, or most anyone.

The High and the Mighty. (1954). The is the film that started the airliner disaster genre. (Though note Airplane! (1980) was actually based on the film Zero Hour! (1957).) John Wayne and Robert Stack head a cast of stars and great character actors. A lot of verisimilitude in the background, especially the showing of how prepared the plane crew, Coast Guard, and other authorities were ready for air emergencies. A few treats for airplane geeks: shots of a B-17/PB-1G “Dumbo, a launch of the US Navy JB-2 version of the German V-1 Buzz Bomb, and the star of the show, a C-54 converted into the then ubiquitous DC-4 airliner. And of course the famous whistled melody of the title song. I loved seeing it again, though others might roll their eyes at the cliches that only became cliches later.

A funny story on the commentaries recounted a story the director, William A. Wellman, told about the script writing process: "If I bought a book or a story and I loved it, I wanted to do the book, but Ernie [the screenwriter] kept wanting to change it because he said, 'I can improve on it.' I said, 'Look, Ernie, let's just stick to the book. That's all I want.' And we almost had a fist fight about it on one occasion. 'Look,' I said, 'I am going to get hold of Gann who wrote this novel and tell him what this silly son of a bitch who is writing the script is trying to do!' It worked." The punch-line is that screenwriter Ernie and author Gann were one and the same person, best-selling writer Ernest K. Gann.

BTW, John Wayne proves he can act.
-Very highly recommended if you can adjust to a more leisurely way of storytelling as well as ignore everything that later became a cliché.

Wreck-It Ralph (2012). To say it was Toy Story with video game characters would be superficial. It’s more like a subversive retelling of The Wizard of Oz from the viewpoint of the Cowardly Lion. It has four entirely different worlds each unbelievably individualized in tone and texture. It’s like four entirely different movies! In the end the greatest Pixar movie Pixar never made. All the voice actors are brilliant, with John C. Reilly and Sarah Silverman standouts in a field of standouts. Alan Tudyk is a hoot as an Ed Wynn-voiced King Candy. (Oz aficionados will know that Ed Wynn was Samuel Goldwyn’s choice for the Wizard before the property went to MGM.) Besides the references to other films (Children of the Corn, Heart of Darkness) there are the innumerable cameos of video game stars, including the original voice actors for the games.
-Highly recommended, especially for repeat viewings with a finger on the Pause button!

"The tragedy of territorial geeks is that they found the wonderful world of fantasy, then missed its point."
-Luke McKinney

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2013, 5:46pm

Post #11 of 37 (142 views)
Shortcut
Two movies for geek weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent the weekend with some lovely TORn-folk and other fellow geeks, so of course we started off with The Hobbit: AUJ - in 3D! Altaira and BG have a lovely 3-D TV and DVD player, and the required glasses, of course, so LRon, Altaira, BG, Roheryn and little Eldarion kicked off the weekend with The Hobbit.

We did have to fast-forward through a couple parts for Eldarion's sake, but Ro says he's probably seen them at home while she was busy elsewhere.

Saturday night we watched "How to Train Your Dragon". Eldarion LOVED the 3-D and wanted to watch another movie, so Altaira suggested this. I've never seen it, and it was lovely. Eldarion was a bit scared in the beginning, but he came to love the movie so much he wanted to see it again.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jul 22 2013, 5:52pm)

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 22 2013, 6:27pm

Post #12 of 37 (124 views)
Shortcut
How to train your dragon [In reply to] Can't Post

is a great film! The CG is beautiful, and there's a lot of fun humor, but the story itself is incredibly sweet. I love the relationship between Hiccup and Toothless. There's a sequel coming out next year. I hope it's equally as good.

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 22 2013, 6:43pm

Post #13 of 37 (139 views)
Shortcut
Pacific Rim in Imax 3D!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a birthday event for my youngest son (turning 27 in the next few weeks) and he chose the movie and format.
I'd never been to the Imax in movie complexes theaters. I asked, afterward, if I was supposed to have noticed a difference and the almost 27 year old explained the big difference is the kind of polarization used. The Imax version will slip out of 3D if you turn your head a certain way and I did notice that. When my husband and I noted how INCREDIBLY loud it was, he said.. oh yeah, they are picky about sound. The buzz is you feel Pacific Rim in your bones.

The sound was so loud, it rumbled my chest. I'm convinced I lost another few decibels of hearing. I tried plugging my ears but I had to hold my elbows up and it just wasn't something I could comfortably do for hours.

My thoughts through the movie were not complex. They included:

ONE:
I saw it with the almost 27 year old, the almost 27 year old's roommate, my 30 year old son, and my husband. All male

This is a GUY'S movie. - talking with the four males afterward about what they liked, they all answered the same - with kind of goofy, crazy-happy grins on their face, "It had giant Robots! "And Giant Monsters! Giant Robots fighting Giant Monsters!" My 30 year old son had given Iron Man 3 a 'meh' rating and gave Pacific Rim a 'pretty good' (with a smile, he's reserved in praise). When I asked what was better about PR than IM3 he said, "Giant Robots!"

Giant Robots + Giant Monsters + lots of fist fighting (and lucha libre + stick fighting) + great shots of mechanical workings of the robots (not quite steam punk but not futuristic at all... in one shot of a mechanism, they had incorporated old fashioned forge bellows) = if you like this sort of stuff then sit yourself down to the candy counter and prepare to be indulged.

TWO:
It's a summer, blockbuster movie. Its Big. It's Really Big. It's FREAKIN' BIG!.

Like a lot of summer blockbuster movies, there's not much of a plot. But are you looking for a story when you go to the Amusement Park? No.

That said, I don't think *I* - who was especially impressed by GIANT ROBOTS - thought this was leagues better than other blockbuster movies that have been roundly panned by fans and critics.

And I don't see why PR should be considered better than, say, Avatar. They are each huge in scope and displays of CG technology with simple plots.

THREE:
I wanted to compare it to Jaws. Another movie that is just fun and meant to deliver a little thrill.

Put these GIANT ROBOTS up against poor Bruce the Shark that didn't work most of the time and looked a bit iffy on screen and we can all have a bit of a laugh. In fact, take it back further and put the GIANT ROBOTS up against the creatures in a Ray Harryhausen movie (to whom the movie is dedicated along with Ishiro Honda). We've come a long way baby. If we measure out with our hands how far we've come and then advance that span down starting with today's date (Reset the clocks!), where will be in movie technology 2070? How much more incredible can we get in movies?

That said, I'll watch Jaws anytime it's on TV and always wish I could stay awake long enough to go to those summer midnight showings. I'm a bit undecided if I'll see PR when it comes to the dollar theaters again.

If we measure special effects technology, PR outspans Jaws 10 fold. We we measure storytelling, Jaws outspans PR by just about that much.

FOUR:
I haven't seen any of GdT's other movies. I thought about what GdT's Hobbit would have looked like. I got into a whole head tangent about letting director's follow their artistic vision whether we like that direction or not. The fact that I got into this whole head tangent lets you know how sparse the story was. :-)

FIVE:
All said, I liked it. If you want a roller coaster ride where the thrill is viscerally felt in your bones and GIANT ROBOTS fighting GIANT MONSTERS... this movie is for you! If you're just going with someone else who likes GR vs GM, I think there's some stuff in there you can like. But if you're hearing is sensitive, bring ear plugs. At least if you're going to an Imax showing.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 22 2013, 7:18pm

Post #14 of 37 (111 views)
Shortcut
The *trailer* creeped me out! [In reply to] Can't Post

No way in heck am I seeing the film!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2013, 8:19pm

Post #15 of 37 (107 views)
Shortcut
Definitely need that "Pause" button for Wreck-It Ralph! [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially when watching it with Geeky Son, who was just about rolling in the aisle when we saw it in the theater. At home he could go into great detail for every nod to various video games - and other animated movies. This movie is beyond awesome.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2013, 8:22pm

Post #16 of 37 (112 views)
Shortcut
Another thumbs-up for "How to Train your Dragon". [In reply to] Can't Post

Wonderful story, wonderful animation, wonderful music - and did you notice: the hero of the movie is left-handed!

Hobbit in 3D in the comfort of one's own home - and there were enough glasses for everyone! Now that is pure geekiness. Heart (And Eldarion is getting so big...)

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Jul 22 2013, 8:24pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 22 2013, 8:29pm

Post #17 of 37 (107 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen the new teaser trailer? [In reply to] Can't Post

You can watch it here.

One of the best animated films of our time.

Smile

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2013, 8:43pm

Post #18 of 37 (102 views)
Shortcut
Could you make out the dialog? [In reply to] Can't Post

Geeky Son (age 26) and I saw this yesterday, in 2D in a small local theater. The soundtrack wasn't overly loud, but the dialog was too soft for it, and neither of us could understand half of what was spoken.

Other than that, I found it to be a fun matinee movie, with a pleasantly predictable plotline, and we both were giggling whenever GLADOS spoke. (He didn't cringe when I whispered at one point "And now, they can have cake.") The rock 'em sock 'em monsters vs. robots were a bit much, there were times I couldn't figure out what was happening, and the monsters were definitely Godzilla meets Jurassic Park, and why didn't they think of that sword sooner, but it wasn't a bad movie at all.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 22 2013, 9:05pm

Post #19 of 37 (97 views)
Shortcut
I said that during the movie! [In reply to] Can't Post

Only lefties recognize other lefties, and I saw it right away.

I saw Eldarion last November, and he's grown just since then. He's now about six inches shorter than his Mum (which isn't saying much Wink), but his father is six feet tall, so he's got a ways to go.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 22 2013, 9:48pm

Post #20 of 37 (86 views)
Shortcut
Dean Spanley [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that film. It must be time for me to revisit it too. Thanks for the reminder. Smile

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Jul 22 2013, 9:52pm

Post #21 of 37 (94 views)
Shortcut
Currently watching BBC's 'Ripper Street' [In reply to] Can't Post

We haven't gotten very far into the show yet so it's hard to comment. I am seeing that HBO series such as Deadwood have had a big influence on the other networks, including the Beeb.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 22 2013, 10:02pm

Post #22 of 37 (84 views)
Shortcut
I can't make out much dialog in general [In reply to] Can't Post

...without closed captions.

I asked the 30 year old (who was in the car with us on the way home) if he could understand the dialog and he said yes. Then I asked if I missed anything by not understanding the dialog and he said no.

Then I joked about how I always find I have movies stuck in my Netflix queue that I've seen. 12 months down the road, I think... hun? Why did I think I wanted to see that movie again... and I take it out.

I realized I stick them in after seeing them in the theater because I wonder if I missed too much by not understanding the dialog and thought perhaps I should watch them on DVD again.

These devices have made their way to theaters near here:
http://www.npr.org/...go-out-to-the-movies

But I'm not sure if I'd use the glasses if they interfere with the image much. First I'm worried the rims of the glasses will be too distracting then I'm worried that trying to focus on something that close to my face might be difficult - or difficult to do while also focusing on the movie on the screen.

I wish there could be captions embedded right on the screen that could be read only by those wearing special glasses. Kind of like the Polaroid lenses for 3D.

I don't play Portal so that easter egg was lost on me. :-)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2013, 10:36pm

Post #23 of 37 (73 views)
Shortcut
The Cornetto Trilogy is going to be awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Shaun, Hot Fuzz, World's End...and yes Paul. What a freaking hilarious movie.

Edgar Wright sort of reminds me of Kevin Smith in a way re: his movies. I just love them.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Ardamírë
Valinor

Jul 22 2013, 11:14pm

Post #24 of 37 (70 views)
Shortcut
I saw it [In reply to] Can't Post

but it was only on my phone, so I'll have to take a look at it in all it's glory on my computer. Thanks Smile

"...not till now have I understood the tale of your people and their fall.
As wicked fools I scorned them, but I pity them at last.
For if this is indeed, as the Eldar say, the gift of the One to Men,
it is bitter to receive." -Arwen Undómiel

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 22 2013, 11:31pm

Post #25 of 37 (70 views)
Shortcut
I have a Roku device [In reply to] Can't Post

and one of my channels is Flixster which is all trailers. So I can watch pretty much any trailer on my large screen tv with it. If you have any device that streams to tv, you might see if you can get this.

I can spend a lot of time just watching trailers. :-)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.