Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Triumphant scenes from the films

Pazeer
Rivendell

Jul 22 2013, 6:26pm

Post #1 of 11 (747 views)
Shortcut
Triumphant scenes from the films Can't Post

There has been a lot of posts lately, at least in The Hobbit Movie forum, about book vs film.
I was wondering, is there any parts in the LOTR trilogy that you think was BETTER in the movies?
Are there any scenes you feel was improved or handled better by Peter Jackson, and moments you genuinely feel was captured better in the film than in the book?
Personally, I love the ending of Fellowship, and think that the period from Boromir's death until the credits was amazing and close to perfect in the film Smile

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 23 2013, 10:15pm

Post #2 of 11 (399 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the interaction and dialog between Aragorn and Boromir was wonderful although I am having a hard time typing that it is better than the book. Also, I like Aragorn's line: "Let's hunt some orc" better than "Forth the three hunters."

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Jul 24 2013, 12:18pm

Post #3 of 11 (386 views)
Shortcut
1) Lighting of the beacons [In reply to] Can't Post

2) Lighting of the beacons

3) Lighting of the beacons

(all excluding the nonsense with Pippin)

The mountains and stars in these scenes are pure Tolkien captured perfectly by Sir PJ.

ihines_uvm

Jul 24 2013, 3:19pm

Post #4 of 11 (362 views)
Shortcut
This was my favorite part... [In reply to] Can't Post

It would have been if it was in the movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqC5FnvAEc

But in all seriousness I'd have to say the part that I was most touched by was when Frodo departs Middle Earth at the end of ROTK and says farewell to Sam, I cried when I watched it the second time.

Soundchaser
The Shire

Jul 24 2013, 9:28pm

Post #5 of 11 (340 views)
Shortcut
Well, I don't know about "better" [In reply to] Can't Post

but King Theoden's speech and the ride of the Rohirrim really gets my adrenalin pumping, much more so than when I read it. I thought Bernard Hill was awesome, and his was my favorite performance by far of all the actors, with Andy Serkis not far behind. The lighting of the beacons was also a favorite scene, as was the Bridge of Khazad-Dum.
On a side note, I just got the EE on Blu-ray (on sale at Amazon) today, and will re-watch this weekend. I've only watched one blu-ray since I got my player and big screen TV, so really looking forward to it! And I don't think I'll let any "green tint" ruin it for me, either. Cool

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 24 2013, 10:48pm

Post #6 of 11 (324 views)
Shortcut
Hoo, boy... how to pick... [In reply to] Can't Post

(1) the death of Boromir - Did not care at all about this character when I first read the book. He was rude and interrupted people while they were talking (i.e., Elrond and Celeborn). And how *dare* he try to take the Ring??!! Then I saw the movie. I saw Boromir die. I cried. Then I reread the book and saw Boromir's good qualities (thinking of carrying wood up Caradhras, looking out for the hobbits, etc.). I still cry everytime I watch Boromir die. In some weird sort of way, I view it almost as the best point of the whole FOTR movie.

(2) the lighting of the beacons - 'Nuff said.

Can't think of anymore at the moment.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Arthael
Lorien

Jul 25 2013, 5:08am

Post #7 of 11 (323 views)
Shortcut
The Ride of the Rohirrim [In reply to] Can't Post

Great scene in the book, but in the movie.....one of the most powerful scenes I've ever seen in any drama or action film.

"There are no safe paths in this part of the world. Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go."

Dwarvenfury
Lorien

Jul 26 2013, 5:10am

Post #8 of 11 (293 views)
Shortcut
I liked [In reply to] Can't Post

Thorin exhorting his riders to Gondor as the host departed Dunharrow.
I don't know why, but I like this scene. General instructions they be, yet
apt. To Gonder! To Gondor! To Gonder!

Wait...that would actually be Theoden... But Thorin could maybe due too Cool

(This post was edited by Dwarvenfury on Jul 26 2013, 5:13am)

Nira
Lorien

Jul 30 2013, 3:57am

Post #9 of 11 (212 views)
Shortcut
Many... [In reply to] Can't Post

(of course there are also many I like better in the book, but that's a different thread)

- I prefer the far more humble movie Aragorn
- The timinig of Frodo finding out about the history of the ring and hastily leaving the Shire makes much more sense. I wouldn't dilly dally around if I knew baddies could find me and kill me.
- The age of Frodo- innocence lost is more tragic and dramatic a tale. Yes, I know Hobbits have that quality in their nature, but for the reader/viewer age matters.
- Using the Arwen character was a good choice for the movies. The book should have mentioned the Aragorn/Arwen romance (even just a little) more; it's important to Aragorn's character and story. It also highlights changes going on in the elven community.
- Grey Havens scene in the movie was acted so well that it far surpassed the book in terms of stirring emotion. Also, no one knowing Frodo was leaving, and Merry & Pippin being given the honor of attending as well.
- The singing- I enoyed hearing the songs more than reading them.
- Narsil- Aragorn carrying around a broken sword doesn't make as much sense to me.
- Pippin being forced to sing- dramatic, sad, and beautiful
- I could go either way with the Sam vs Frodo story arc, but it did provide (for me) the saddest scene of the movie trilogy. Incredible acting by Sean Astin during that "go home" scene.
- Pippin being the one to physically save Faramir from the wood pile
- The acuity of Frodo's illness after being stabbed at Weathertop. Drags on too long in the book making the situation appear less urgent.
- Merry figuring out Frodo was leaving the fellowship and strategically helping him leave showed Merry's character well.
- Pippin's second breakfast quip

That's enough for now.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Jul 30 2013, 4:00am)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 2 2013, 12:27pm

Post #10 of 11 (182 views)
Shortcut
"I can't carry it for you. But I can carry you!" [In reply to] Can't Post

As a movie-firster, the scene where Sam carries Frodo was probably *the* scene I wanted to read in the books, and I was so surprised to find it was kind of hidden away in the middle of a paragraph :-). A great example of how the film team took moments from the book and, using music and visuals and some fine acting, really showcased them to bring out their emotional impact and importance. So well done - an amazing, epic scene!

elostirion74
Rohan

Aug 6 2013, 6:47pm

Post #11 of 11 (219 views)
Shortcut
three scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, there are three specific treatments of events or words from the book where I found the films had a stronger impact or used them to better effect.

One is the death of Boromir, seeing it directly, seeing him fighting, seeing in his eyes his the doubt and the fear that he had failed, having Aragorn kiss him on the forehead.

The second, but only slightly, was how Sam caught up with Frodo at the end of FoTR and went after him. Everything in this scene, including Sam nearly drowning, was done perfectly with great emotions and acting.

Third thing I can think of is the way they made use of Aragornīs poem in Rohan from TTT. Both the visuals accompanying them, the placing of the poem, whom they gave it to (Theoden) and the words themselves made a stronger impact in the film compared to the book.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.