Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Mark Gatiss has been cast in Game of Thrones!

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 1:53pm

Post #1 of 22 (184 views)
Shortcut
Mark Gatiss has been cast in Game of Thrones! Can't Post

http://insidetv.ew.com/...of-thrones-sherlock/

Unfortunately, we don't know who he will be yet. Any guesses?

"I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?" ~ The Doctor

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 18 2013, 3:18pm

Post #2 of 22 (108 views)
Shortcut
Good to hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually think of Mark Gatiss as first and foremost a writer - and a very good one - because of his scripts for my beloved Sherlock. Although I adore him as Mycroft! I didn't realize how much acting he's been doing, and am glad to hear he's getting a part in Game of Thrones, even though I'm not a fan of the series.

National Theater Live is also going to be showing various other plays besides Frankenstein, one of them being Coriolanus, which stars Tom Hiddleston, and Gatiss is also in that production. I believe they will show this in Jan or Feb of next year. I plan to go to see it.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 3:23pm

Post #3 of 22 (104 views)
Shortcut
It's funny... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because now Gatiss will have been in my three favorite tv shows currently running XD (Sherlock, Doctor Who and GoT). But I've seen him in other things, too. I would love to catch Coriolanus if it's somewhere near me.

"I'm the Doctor. I'm a Time Lord. I'm from the planet Gallifrey in the Constellation of Kasterborous. I'm 903 years old and I'm the man who is gonna save your lives and all 6 billion people on the planet below. You got a problem with that?" ~ The Doctor

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2013, 3:37pm

Post #4 of 22 (104 views)
Shortcut
psst...did you hear about the Emmys? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

Game of Thrones led the drama field with 16 nominations this morning. The nods included Supporting Actor/Actress for Peter Dinklage and Emilia Clarke, Guest Actress for Dame Diana Rigg, and David & Dan for Writing ("The Rains of Castamere")!!!

http://insidetv.ew.com/...nd-the-nominees-are/

That's some great news to wake up to. Smile

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Jul 18 2013, 3:39pm)

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 3:40pm

Post #5 of 22 (102 views)
Shortcut
I did! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also saw that Benedict Cumberbatch got a nomination for Parade's End! GoT deserves to win most of those, especially for "The Rains of Castamere". It's in a very exclusive group of tv shows that provided such a severe shock.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Jul 18 2013, 3:51pm

Post #6 of 22 (101 views)
Shortcut
My guess is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that it may still lose in the big categories this year, but win next year. The fact that's it seems to be gaining steam with the nominations is a very good sign, and next season will likely be the very best yet.

But, really, even just getting these nominations is a great boon to the show. It's extremely hard for a fantasy show to get acting nominations, especially with such a vast ensemble. So to see 3 actors get in this year is really phenomenal, and will raise the show's profile even more.

"All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds awake to find that it was vanity; But the dreamers of day are dangerous men. That they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible."
- T.E. Lawrence

Patty
Immortal

Jul 18 2013, 4:14pm

Post #7 of 22 (98 views)
Shortcut
I can't believe he got nominated for Parade's End. [In reply to] Can't Post

I love period drama., especially about that time frame, but I just simply could not get into this show. And he was one of the worst parts of it.

I am a Ford Maddox Ford lover. But perhaps due to the script writer, the dialogue was stilted and the acting by all parties very wooden.

Permanent address: Into the West

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 18 2013, 5:00pm

Post #8 of 22 (87 views)
Shortcut
I haven't seen it yet, but will when it comes out on DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

Parade's End was evidently loved by various circles apparently, since it has been nominated for quite a few awards, and BC was nominated for this in the Critic's Choice Awards earlier, and his co-star (whose name I can't remember...the female lead) has also been praised. Anyway, it showed here in the US on HBO but since I don't get HBO, I have to wait for the DVD to come out later this year.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 18 2013, 5:07pm

Post #9 of 22 (78 views)
Shortcut
I watched it on home box office [In reply to] Can't Post

It was viewed by some as the thinking man's Downton Abbey, tthat was a direct slap to Downton Abby. I don't know why it is that some people have to lift up one thing by putting something else down.
The problem I had with it was that it was just really dull to me. But then, I've heard that said about The Good Soldier, also by Ford Maddox Ford, which I really love.

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 6:03pm

Post #10 of 22 (80 views)
Shortcut
I don't know, I really liked it... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I think that Rebecca Hall (Sylvia) was the strongest actor, but she didn't get nominated. But Parade's End was very good. BC plays a tortured soul very well, I think (I also enjoyed the books). God knows Downton Abbey could use some story and acting lessons from PE, in my opinion (uuugh, I hate that show), but I don't think Parade's End is better simply because Downton Abbey sucks...I actually watched Parade's End before I watched Downton Abbey, so I definitely liked PE on its own merits. I simply detest the soap opera format DA has taken. "Let's kill everyone right when they have babies!" Gag me.

(This post was edited by bborchar on Jul 18 2013, 6:05pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 18 2013, 6:07pm

Post #11 of 22 (74 views)
Shortcut
Yes, she was the strongest actor. [In reply to] Can't Post

But Benedict Cumberbatch is flavor of the month now, so I guess that's why he got nominated. The weakest link to me was the female lead.

I respectfully disagree. I think the acting in Downton is one of the strongest things about it. Particularly from Michelle Dockery, who has been nominated for an Emmy (or was it a Golden Globe)for Downton. For the rest, I do agree it is a soap opera. And that it steals plots from other stories. But I enjoy it anyway.Cool

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 6:14pm

Post #12 of 22 (70 views)
Shortcut
That's fine if you like it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I know many people who do. But to me it doesn't feel right...it feels like they are making the characters in a period piece modern by making them open minded (sure, I don't mind if a gay guy works for me! it's completely okay for a servant to marry my daughter! we found you out clubbing with a married man, but that's okay, we won't tell your mother!). It aggravates me. It's a period drama...the characters should act like it's the early 1900's, not early 2000's. Just dressing them up and giving them posh accents doesn't make them period characters. That's just my take on it.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 18 2013, 6:16pm

Post #13 of 22 (68 views)
Shortcut
You're right about that. It definitely isn't realistic. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just like it in spite of that. I don't look for accuracy.
Wink

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 6:20pm

Post #14 of 22 (70 views)
Shortcut
Heh, true... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I guess that's why I liked Parade's End so much...it's frustrating as h*** that they don't get divorced, but that's how it was back then. They acted the way they should, even though it made them miserable. And they made both Sylvia and Christopher good and bad...you could sympathize with both of them, because they were both equally caught in society's trap.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 18 2013, 6:22pm

Post #15 of 22 (65 views)
Shortcut
Even though Sylvia was the proverbial slutů [In reply to] Can't Post

Still wanted her to get together with her husband at the end. Do you think she loved him? Or just didn't want him to be the one that got away?

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 6:27pm

Post #16 of 22 (65 views)
Shortcut
I don't think she loved him... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I think she thought of him as unattainable and it drove her mad, because she was used to getting any man she wanted. But you almost believe that they will get together in the hotel in France when she goes to visit him- I think that's when she's at her most sympathetic. But she resents him- not because of anything he did, but because she's stuck in a marriage she never wanted to be in because she got pregnant.

(This post was edited by bborchar on Jul 18 2013, 6:27pm)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 18 2013, 6:34pm

Post #17 of 22 (59 views)
Shortcut
Yes. If there hadn't been that unbelievable knock on the door [In reply to] Can't Post

Just at the wrong time, I think there would have been fireworks. And then who knows where it would've gone from there.

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 6:39pm

Post #18 of 22 (59 views)
Shortcut
I don't think it was unbelievable... [In reply to] Can't Post

...since Sylvia set it up by telling Potty to come by. She had planned on it the entire time.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 18 2013, 8:15pm

Post #19 of 22 (58 views)
Shortcut
So I am guessing [In reply to] Can't Post

I will like Parade's End (it's on my list of things to catch up on), since I can't stand Downton Abbey. That is my very scientific conclusion.

bborchar
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 8:25pm

Post #20 of 22 (49 views)
Shortcut
You'll like it if... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you don't mind a slow-moving story about how Edwardian society affected the relationships of people living during that time, and how WWI started to change that society.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 18 2013, 8:31pm

Post #21 of 22 (55 views)
Shortcut
That sounds [In reply to] Can't Post

right up my alley. I like slow moving.
It was on TV here a while ago, but not for me. Anything good is on pay TV.

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 22 2013, 9:30am

Post #22 of 22 (29 views)
Shortcut
Agreed (possible GoT spoiler) [In reply to] Can't Post

and given the sorry state of Hollywood these days, (mostly due to the fact that most of the great scriptwriters and the actors who depend on them have gotten sick and tired of studios catering to the 15-25 male fanboy crowd and refusing to make dramas, and have fled to TV, where good scripted drama can still thrive) I would argue that it's almost a bigger deal to win an Emmy these days than an Oscar. God knows the Emmys have become much more exciting to watch.

I wonder though...Book 4 will be split into 2 seasons too, no? And dangit, if so, it STINKS that we'll have to wait another 2 years to see the...well, can we say it now, Episode 9 of Season 5? I take it you're a book-firster too, and well remember how Book 4 ends...for those who haven't, well all I can say is to channel Ygritte and say "You know nothing about what's coming..." If you think "The Rains of Castamere" was shocking! I expect a certain Emmy-winning actor is going to be doing a LOT of interviews....(does that count as a spoiler? if it does can I just calm people down and say that that character does not die?, but it will be shocking for other reasons?)

Stoked that Emelia Clarke got a nom! She's really blossomed into quite a great actress. She was just OK in Season 1, I thought just another pretty face, though she had potential. Her Dany is getting just as complex as the book character. Starting to give the character real poignancy. Again, I can't wait to see her develop Dany even more as Dany's role expands and her conquests begin to take a personal toll.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.