Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Favourite costume design in The Lord of the rings?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2013, 9:53pm

Post #26 of 37 (537 views)
Shortcut
Easterlings... [In reply to] Can't Post

I really liked the garb of the Easterlings, I found it very exotic, like some kind of Central Asian ceremonial armor. Really cool.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 12:26am

Post #27 of 37 (544 views)
Shortcut
I know I've been saying it for years now [In reply to] Can't Post

But I always meant to get back to those one day. A bit like Bilbo wanting to wander the paths of Mirkwood, I suppose. Thanks for dusting the link off, Magpie. I'm always glad that people have enjoyed those posts.

*wanders off muttering about mountains and elven gowns*

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 12:38am

Post #28 of 37 (534 views)
Shortcut
Probably [In reply to] Can't Post

The dress Eowyn wears when Theoden tells her to take up his throne at Edoras if they should fail. It's such a soft dress for what must be, in her mind, an incredibly harsh moment in her life.

But ask me tomorrow and I'll give you a different answer.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 12 2013, 12:42am

Post #29 of 37 (522 views)
Shortcut
The perils of crossing the Atlantic [In reply to] Can't Post

Two nations divided by a common language?:
"He was wearing a vest, pants and suspenders."
'Nuff said. Wink

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 1:07am

Post #30 of 37 (514 views)
Shortcut
can someone [In reply to] Can't Post

... explain to me what "vest" means in brit-speak? is it an offensive term? an off-color term?

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

zarabia
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 1:50am

Post #31 of 37 (517 views)
Shortcut
It's nothing bad :D [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just what they call an undershirt. More specifically, I think, it's a sleeveless undershirt.

I always think of Onslo from Keeping Up Appearances when I think of the word vest in the British sense:

"The question isn't where, Constable, but when." - Inspector Spacetime

Maciliel
Tol Eressea

Jul 12 2013, 1:52am

Post #32 of 37 (507 views)
Shortcut
my cousin [In reply to] Can't Post

... +loves+ that show.

thanks for filling me in, z. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 12 2013, 2:17am

Post #33 of 37 (506 views)
Shortcut
Onslo...that's great!!!! (Love that show) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 13 2013, 3:17am

Post #34 of 37 (505 views)
Shortcut
I can only pick one? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's no way I'll ever pick just one! Arrrrgh. *flails*

I must admit that one of the things I pay a lot of attention to in movies is the costume design (oddly enough, since I have little fashion sense in real life, lol). I often think the work of all the people who design and make these costumes isn't appreciated enough by the average movie-goer.

If I have to pick *just* one outfit, though, it would be Eomer's armor. I love it, have always loved it, and have tried to draw it a few times. (It is insanely hard due to all the tiny designs of leather over metal, but looks so good overall.) Plus, I was delighted that his helmet still has the white horsetail crest. The design of the horse's face on the noseguard was also a nice detail.

If I'm allowed to mention other costumes, I'd have to say that I love practically everything worn by an Elf. Special mention goes to Arwen's gorgeous dresses. Elrond's armor must also not be omitted (the purple version of it in AUJ was also quite nice Wink).

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 15 2013, 2:14am

Post #35 of 37 (469 views)
Shortcut
Frodo's Shire outfit [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially his green cloak. But I have to admit I'm a huge fan of Strider and Legolas' outfits, too :)

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Elwen
Lorien

Jul 16 2013, 2:34pm

Post #36 of 37 (451 views)
Shortcut
They were excellent posts! I'm glad of the link so I can re-explore./// [In reply to] Can't Post

Before kids, exercising with LOTR meant listening to the soundtrack while I ran.

After kids, exercising with LOTR means having an all out dance party with the little ones to the "Break the Dam Release the River" disco mix form the Lego game.

tom oates

Jul 22 2013, 12:49am

Post #37 of 37 (480 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn's ranger costume and Theoden's armour [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing could have added more to the mystery of strider when you first meet him in the prancing pony than that hooded cloak. although his clothing is not elaborate or fashionable, it still speaks volumes about the person who is wearing them.

Theoden's armour is fantastic in the way it describes Rohans culture, also love the resemblance to nordic designs which Tolkien was influenced by.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.