Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Wellington and other Northward NZ TORn-sibs are you okay?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 5:30am

Post #1 of 47 (445 views)
Shortcut
Wellington and other Northward NZ TORn-sibs are you okay? Can't Post

What a horrible shaky day you are having. Frown

Info here for those who would like to know more.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2013, 5:56am

Post #2 of 47 (318 views)
Shortcut
A very shaky day indeed. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Radio NZ announcer sounded as if she was struggling to keep calm as she described the studio lamps swinging and everything rattling. They've cancelled their early evening programmes to cover the quakes.

We haven't felt them up here, but there are reports that people in the Waikato felt the latest one.

Power cuts in some places.

Another list, from Geonet: http://geonet.org.nz/

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Moahunter
Rohan

Jul 21 2013, 5:58am

Post #3 of 47 (320 views)
Shortcut
Shaken but not stirred. [In reply to] Can't Post

Biggest I've ever experienced. I was just getting off the bed after my afternoon nap.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 6:05am

Post #4 of 47 (314 views)
Shortcut
It's very unsettling [In reply to] Can't Post

literally, for those in the area affected.
I don't like it one bit.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 6:08am

Post #5 of 47 (312 views)
Shortcut
Well that's a memorable way to end your nap, [In reply to] Can't Post

and no mistake!
Stay safe. Smile

demnation
Rohan

Jul 21 2013, 7:08am

Post #6 of 47 (303 views)
Shortcut
Stay safe, everyone! [In reply to] Can't Post

We're all pulling for you!

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 21 2013, 7:55am

Post #7 of 47 (305 views)
Shortcut
All ok. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was driving through the central district just before but didn't know the quake had happened until friends started texting me. The house is perfectly ok, but the cats are somewhat freaked out. Getting a bag together this time just in case. Quite an interesting weekend.Unsure
Thanks for checking on us, Ms Starling.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2013, 7:56am

Post #8 of 47 (298 views)
Shortcut
I was driving out of Palmerston North and didn't feel it. [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some photos here.

I hope our Wellington TORN members are feeling OK tonight!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 8:08am

Post #9 of 47 (303 views)
Shortcut
A 7.2 at 4:30 am in LA in 1994 [In reply to] Can't Post

...is one of my most vivid memories. There were T-shirts on sale the next day that said, "waking up at 4:30 am was never so easy."

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 8:09am

Post #10 of 47 (285 views)
Shortcut
Hope everyone is ok! Stay safe! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 8:14am

Post #11 of 47 (297 views)
Shortcut
It's weird when [In reply to] Can't Post

you don't feel one and then everyone starts with the "Are you ok?"
Glad your house is alright. Hopefully the cats will get over it. The February earthquake shut both of mine in the bedroom and I came home to a lot of ripped carpet, and two very disgruntled cats!
Thinking of you. Smile

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2013, 8:16am

Post #12 of 47 (298 views)
Shortcut
This is a great quote from NZHerald: [In reply to] Can't Post

Ms Bennett and her husband Lee Slater, whose Highbury house is built on the side of a hill, said it was swaying on its piles. "You usually only get a bit of a jiggle but this was a hula dance," Ms Bennett said.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2013, 8:17am

Post #13 of 47 (281 views)
Shortcut
Love that t-shirt. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 8:17am

Post #14 of 47 (290 views)
Shortcut
Another driver [In reply to] Can't Post

It's quite a good way to miss them.
I remember walking into Briscoes after a big aftershock - I thought I had felt something, but I assumed it was a combination of the munted road and the dog dancing around in the back of the car. When I got into the shop, the staff were totally freaked out, and I knew as soon as I saw their faces there had been a good shake.

Flipping shaky isles!

elaen32
Gondor

Jul 21 2013, 10:25am

Post #15 of 47 (287 views)
Shortcut
Oh dear.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I do hope this all settles quickly and for a good while. You guys in NZ seem to be taking a bit of battering this winter what with storms, floods and now this.
I've only once experienced an earthquake- and that was a relatively small one in the middle of the desert (Joshua Tree National Park Ca.) and not so scary. It must be so much worse in a city with all the attendant risks
Thinking of you all and take care!

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work

shadowdog
Rohan

Jul 21 2013, 3:24pm

Post #16 of 47 (259 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember that one. My dog ran outside barking at it and pranced back in proud that she had chased it away. Hope all in NZ are safe.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2013, 7:45pm

Post #17 of 47 (253 views)
Shortcut
A great video graphic of the earthquakes: [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.facebook.com/...?v=10201061753322803

And in "Do'h!" news, the earthquake has shifted countries: Severe earthquake hits Seddon, Australia

*eye-roll*

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 21 2013, 7:49pm)

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 7:53pm

Post #18 of 47 (244 views)
Shortcut
It's a small world after all! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a brilliant piece of journalism, so stunningly accurate.
I love the way they have made some corrections and added another story above the completely inaccurate one, but they have still left the 'Australia' story there! And the amended version has a nice photo of a building in central Christchurch that is in the process of being demolished recently. Excellent.

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 21 2013, 9:11pm

Post #19 of 47 (239 views)
Shortcut
"I sincerely apologize to the people of New Zealand for my stupidity." [In reply to] Can't Post

Tom Ukinski, Science Editor

Yeah, right.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10901374

He was good for a bit of a laugh, though I'm too dopey after a largely sleepless night of a little jolt here and a little shake there (in New Zealand) to fully give him the respect he deserves. Tongue

And a 5.5 west of Haast on west coast of South Island just occurred.

Well, the birds are still singing, flowers are blooming in the middle of winter, my supplies are in good order, and I'm fortunate to live in this beautiful place. She'll be right.
Cheers, Kiwis.
Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 9:25pm

Post #20 of 47 (226 views)
Shortcut
Poor Tom [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect it's a day he would rather forget.

I hope the aftershocks settle down - it's very unhelpful when you don't get enough sleep on top of everything else.
It's been very quiet around here, and I am expecting we will get some shakes soon. I am slightly alarmed that my wine stocks are low, so that will be remedied today.

Have a good day. Smile

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 21 2013, 9:40pm

Post #21 of 47 (209 views)
Shortcut
Starling, thanks for the reminder of proper emergency supplies. [In reply to] Can't Post

I will bow to your more extensive experience and check the wine cellar, for the benefit of my neighbors.Wink

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 9:51pm

Post #22 of 47 (204 views)
Shortcut
And don't forget the chocolate, [In reply to] Can't Post

if that's what you are into.
After the September earthquake when I was staying with my friend, we had lots of get-togethers for meals with others, and it was very comforting. We called it our earthquake fellowship.
Our favourite piece of advice was to eat lots of root vegetables - this would allegedly calm our anxiety and help us reconnect with the earth. I have no idea if this theory worked, but we certainly enjoyed our substantial meals involving plenty of root vegetables, washed down with medicinal wine. Cool
My friend and her partner live in Wellington now, having moved there to escape the earthquakes. Crazy

In all seriousness, one of the things people often forget to have in their emergency kits is cash. I was very glad to have some when there was no access to banks, ATM's and EFT-POS.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 21 2013, 9:59pm

Post #23 of 47 (205 views)
Shortcut
Stories from Chch [In reply to] Can't Post

about stores letting people take food when they didn't have cash on them (because of no electricity, thus no eftpos) prompted me to include some money in my getaway kit.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Valinor

Jul 21 2013, 10:28pm

Post #24 of 47 (201 views)
Shortcut
Cash (check) Chocolate (check) [In reply to] Can't Post

Cat food and litter (check)
All set.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 10:35pm

Post #25 of 47 (196 views)
Shortcut
A good plan [In reply to] Can't Post

to have plenty of cat litter! Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.