Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Just imagine (your thoughts please)...

aruman
Rivendell

Jul 21 2013, 1:12am

Post #1 of 11 (333 views)
Shortcut
Just imagine (your thoughts please)... Can't Post

What do you think exactly happened with Pippin's foolish stone (in Moria)? What if we could see everything from that stone's point of view, or from the point of view of whoever, or whatever, heard/saw the stone land? Thoughts?

In the movies Elrond, Denethor, Haldir, Galadriel, and Celeborn stink.

Dirhaval
The Shire

Jul 21 2013, 4:57am

Post #2 of 11 (155 views)
Shortcut
pippen stone [In reply to] Can't Post

The book has the company stay in a guard room with an open well on the floor.
Moria is so large that the orcs could not patrol it ceaselessly. I like to imagine that
the orcs placed many small rocks in that guard room so to have an accidental
kicking of a stone or a curious mind drop a stone.

My thoughts run to why so large of a force in response? Has this happened before?
How many RPGs visited Moria in the previous decades? :)
Surely they remembered when Gandalf visited last.
Also, why did the Balrog appear? He is so important. Is he so bored to investigate
every little snag on the alarm system? Mrs. Balrog must have thrown him out of the deeps.
The orcs must realized the dwarves will send another team to investigate Balin's folk.

Did Durin's Axe get buried with Balin?

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2013, 10:38am

Post #3 of 11 (163 views)
Shortcut
In Tolkien's world stones are sentient [In reply to] Can't Post

- they tell Legolas things like 'Deep they delved us, Fair they wrought us, High they builded us, but they are gone. They are gone. They sought the Havens long ago.'

If anyone heard that poor stone as he plummetted down to go 'plunk' into the well, he'd probably have said,
'Oh, no! not again...'

(This post was edited by geordie on Jul 21 2013, 10:38am)

aruman
Rivendell

Jul 21 2013, 9:12pm

Post #4 of 11 (116 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

As soon as I read the title of your post I thought of the "Fair they wrought us" quote...love that line from good ol' Legolas!

aruman
Rivendell

Jul 21 2013, 9:16pm

Post #5 of 11 (120 views)
Shortcut
I've wondered the same things [In reply to] Can't Post

What exactly was going on from the "bad guys" point of view? That's what I'm wondering...

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 21 2013, 9:48pm

Post #6 of 11 (121 views)
Shortcut
Their version of "Fear, Fire , Foes , awake,..." [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What exactly was going on from the "bad guys" point of view? That's what I'm wondering...

...but with presumably much more colorful language. Wink

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Barrow-Wight
Rohan

Jul 22 2013, 2:26am

Post #7 of 11 (106 views)
Shortcut
stone probably hit someone in the head lol [In reply to] Can't Post

a bunch of orcs just hanging out talking having a good time maybe had a little too much mead or whatever it is orcs drink. Then BLAM a stone comes out of nowhere and whacks one of them on the head. And seeing as how they are all drunk they decide to go investigate "what? someone hit you in the head I say we go up there and kick their butt!"

after I typed all that it now occurs to me that the stone fell into some water... oh well it's still funny to think about especially in the movie version

(This post was edited by Barrow-Wight on Jul 22 2013, 2:29am)

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 22 2013, 10:28am

Post #8 of 11 (84 views)
Shortcut
And maybe saying "Water. Why does it always have to be water?" // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

If anyone heard that poor stone as he plummetted down to go 'plunk' into the well, he'd probably have said,
'Oh, no! not again...'

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Na Vedui
Rohan

Jul 22 2013, 12:00pm

Post #9 of 11 (88 views)
Shortcut
Sympathy for stones [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien seems to have given some thought to what it would be like to be a stone. Have you read "The Notion Club Papers"? In there, one of the characters is using dreams to experience other bits of the universe and a couple are to do with stones; There's an experience of sheer weight and of being trapped for eons as part of a rock mass unable to do anything but wait for a foreseen and inevitable geological catastrophe; There's a meteorite that fell to Earth and is now in a public park, and desperately lonely. Also a lovely dream of a world where nothing happens but the development and un-development of beautiful structures of crystals.

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jul 22 2013, 1:21pm

Post #10 of 11 (71 views)
Shortcut
Noises in a well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Stones fall all the time in an old mine. Nothing to raise an alarm. But a wizard's shouting carries a long way down a well shaft when he's upbraiding a foolish hobbit for making a noise. When you hear that sound, you call out the guard...

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 22 2013, 8:44pm

Post #11 of 11 (89 views)
Shortcut
According to a fan video I once saw... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the rock/bucket & skeleton/whatever (depends on if you're thinking of it as the movie or the book) interrupted a birthday party for the cave troll. Laugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD8rph02cxw

Sorry for its taking the movie rather than the book, but not sorry for the awesome LEGO stop motion.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.