Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
*Spoilers*

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 9:04pm

Views: 1523
Shortcut
*Spoilers* Can't Post

Smaug's Corpse. I meant to bring this up earlier, when everyone's attention was still on AUJ, but, of course, I forgot.

Now, in The Hobbit it says that Smaug's corpse rested on the lakebed, and even after the jewels and gold coins fell from his rotting flesh no one dared to retrieve them. Personally, I've always wondered why, especially after other underwater organisms would have reduced him to a skeleton. I guess there is the fear of part of one of his ribs breaking off and trapping a diver or something along those lines. Not sure.

However, on p. 17 of WETA Chronicles I Art & Design (I looked it up this time, you see), there is a drawing on the bottom right-hand corner by Alan Lee of a claw, with the description: "...to identify it as something Bilbo had brought back from his travels. I drew a concept for a tooth, claw, or spur that looked dragonish. At this point in the story it is left a little ambiguous exactly what it is, but the implication is that it is from Smaug."

On watching AUJ (again), I noticed that while Frodo is being the nosy nephew and rummaging through Bilbo's stuff he does, indeed, hold up at one point what looks like this claw. If so, this claw is nowhere near the size of what would be appropriate for Smaug.

Any thoughts? Do you think that there will be some scavenging of the dragon's corpse by the men of Laketown or by anybody else? Is that really a claw Frodo is holding, or am I imagining things? If it is a claw, do you think it belongs to Smaug?

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jul 20 2013, 10:33pm)

Subject User Time
*Spoilers* Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Jul 20 2013, 9:04pm
    according to Smaug´s size, yeah thats a point, an interesting one SPOLER Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) Send a private message to Mr. Arkenstone (isaac) Jul 20 2013, 9:49pm
        Interesting Metal Slug Send a private message to Metal Slug Jul 21 2013, 5:48am
            The skull, now that's an interesting choice. Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Jul 22 2013, 7:54pm
        I'd like to see that go over in negotiations! Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Jul 22 2013, 7:53pm
    Sorry! Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Jul 21 2013, 12:15am
    Superstition? Na Vedui Send a private message to Na Vedui Jul 22 2013, 12:39am
        That is a *very* good point. Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Jul 22 2013, 7:56pm
    I always assumed FiliSonOfDis Send a private message to FiliSonOfDis Jul 22 2013, 4:06pm
        Good point Werde Spinner Send a private message to Werde Spinner Jul 22 2013, 7:47pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.