Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
All quiet on the "Middle-Earth" front

DuBekar
Rivendell

Jul 20 2013, 10:05am

Post #1 of 21 (1329 views)
Shortcut
All quiet on the "Middle-Earth" front Can't Post

Doesn't anyone really have anything new about DOS? Seen anything on SDCC, eiter at Weta booth or WB booth.

Getting really quiet now, and i don't like it :) i heard about the Radagast and Galadriel thingy and it seems awesome, exactly what me and my friends have talked about :) hope it works out great.

But seriously, something?

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuiviènen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

(This post was edited by DuBekar on Jul 20 2013, 10:06am)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 20 2013, 11:30am

Post #2 of 21 (602 views)
Shortcut
I think we'll be getting something official very shortly after Comic con [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think PJ is comfortable with the competition and wanted to separate his marketing from Comic Con to give it a bit more impact. So I think once Comic Con fever has calmed down a bit we can expect something juicy soon, even if it's just another Production Video

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 20 2013, 11:33am

Post #3 of 21 (585 views)
Shortcut
Indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really hoping for an AUJ: EE reveal at SDCC. Warner have been issuing press releases for Blu-rays coming out 5th November (like The Right Stuff), so if the EE is coming on 12th November, then surely we'll have to learn something very soon.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 2:12pm

Post #4 of 21 (494 views)
Shortcut
In my opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

WB and Jackson missed the boat with SDCC. Yes I know they were involved with shooting and none of the actors could appear. Yet the Sherlock folks were bright enough to get Martin and Ben to do a video bit (Martin's from NZ while doing the Hobbit) and present it at the Sherlock panel. If they could do a video intro for Sherlock, why not for DoS? Missed opportunity IMO. The information coming out of SDCC has been pretty bland. Yes I know TORN is there and I think that's great but WB has not helped their cause in the slightest in my opinion. I still very much look forward to the movie. I just think WB isn't top notch in terms of their marketing strategies when it comes to the film.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

demnation
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 2:29pm

Post #5 of 21 (477 views)
Shortcut
While it would be nice to have something for the fans [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think SDCC is really all that important in the grand scheme of advertising, especially after things like Pacific Rim flopped after making a big splash at the con. I'd imagine they would want to save the big advertising stuff for more "normal" channels, in order to promote to the casual movie goer (AKA the majority of people who are going to see the film) who don't know and don't care about any news that comes out of Comic Con.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 2:38pm

Post #6 of 21 (454 views)
Shortcut
Money [In reply to] Can't Post

With as much money as WB is making off the film it wouldn't have killed them to do something for SDCC. And don't kid yourself. SDCC is a huge venue for marketing. Sherlock is guaranteed viewers when it rolls out season 3 and didn't need to do it but they did and were smart to do so. They had Martin and Ben do a short and very innovative video clip for the panel intro. that didn't take much money and they could have done something like that for the TORN panel as well. I have not been a huge fan of WB's marketing strategies for these films, I've been up front about that. This is another missed opportunity as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

dormouse
Half-elven

Jul 20 2013, 4:22pm

Post #7 of 21 (436 views)
Shortcut
It's quiet because they're busy... [In reply to] Can't Post

... working on the film, which is all that really matters.

I'm sure ComicCon is very big in America but it doesn't mean a thing to the rest of the world. I'd say it was very sensible of Peter Jackson to opt out going to it or doing something for it if he hadn't the time to prepare something properly. Far better to do that than to rush out footage that wasn't really finished and have people complaining about it.

We've just had a trailer, the Empire article and a video blog. The next thing'll happen when it happens.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 4:48pm

Post #8 of 21 (408 views)
Shortcut
PJ said no hobbit content at comic-con in the last vlog [In reply to] Can't Post

well we got a pretty good size trailer and a vlog so i wouldn't say all quiet on the middle-earth front. I think they are saving their advertising campaign for DOS for the fall, i think things will start heating up around the end of october or the beginning of november.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 20 2013, 5:15pm

Post #9 of 21 (379 views)
Shortcut
I agree WB has been really bad at marketing this [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see why there might not have been enough time for PJ to do anything for SDCC what with the filming ongoing, but I think other people perhaps from WB could have put a little something together, just to whet peoples' appetites and to get the advertising out there at least.

Even though SDCC may not be known to the rest of the world, it is the biggest movie/fantasy convention in the U.S. with probably over a hundred thousand attendees. So I would say yes, definitely something...anything...should have been put together to be promoted there. I agree with you...a missed opportunity indeed!

I remember seeing the trailer for Superman, MOS, over and over in theaters. I really hope WB gets it together as the debut of DOS approaches or their lack of marketing could have quite an impact on attendance at DOS and TABA.

Furthermore, I think there was a whole lot more merchandising available for the LOTR films in general. Granted, LOTR was a much bigger commercial success, but in a way it's like one thing will feed the other - sort of a symbiotic marketing strategy. (Now isn't that a peculiar concept?)

Oh, and I loved the little video clip Martin and Benedict did for Sherlock!!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 20 2013, 5:16pm

Post #10 of 21 (386 views)
Shortcut
"It's the deep breath, before the plunge ..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully we'll be getting some news very soon Smile

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

(This post was edited by Arandir on Jul 20 2013, 5:17pm)

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 20 2013, 5:32pm

Post #11 of 21 (393 views)
Shortcut
Warner panel at SDCC [In reply to] Can't Post

Is coming up shortly. Nothing is planned, but might they surprise us with something about DoS or the AUJ:EE? Fingers crossed. Would love a trailer for the latter more tbh.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 5:39pm

Post #12 of 21 (358 views)
Shortcut
I hope so! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm hoping the Warner Panel does something. I won't like to say I'll be disappointed if not. Come on guys give us something! SDCC is the premier event for fans give us something!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 5:49pm

Post #13 of 21 (351 views)
Shortcut
Agree totally OT [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not blaming PJ. He has enough on his hands getting the films together what with the pickups and all. This is on WB and their lackluster marketing team. And you are right on about the merchandise. There is no where near the involvement this time putting stuff together and making it all work. Their marketing has been off the mark from the get go in my opinion. How much money did it take to make that very inventive video clip with Martin and Ben? Not a lot I'll guarantee you. But it was totally done with the fans in mind and the Sherlock forum so far from what I've seen has been the best venue of SDCC. BSB's (Baker Street Babes) were trending on Twitter as was their party attended by Gatiss, Vertue and Mofatt all night on Thursday. The Sherlock team got it done and it was a cooperative effort between BSB's and the production staff on a lot less money than The Hobbit has. No excuses. I'll call it the way I see it. I support The Hobbit 100% and I love it. I just think WB has missed the mark on the marketing is all and I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't disappointed.

Noria
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 7:19pm

Post #14 of 21 (322 views)
Shortcut
All is quiet right now? What about Lego Bard and so on.[;)] [In reply to] Can't Post

It's too bad that PJ was unable to go to go to Comic Con or even send something, but I'm glad he has his priorities straight and works on the movie instead. There'll be nothing to market if there's no movie Laugh.
But Warner Brothers could have had something in San Diego and maybe they will.

In two or three months I expect that people here and elsewhere will be complaining that they can't turn around without seeing Elves, Dragons, Dwarves and Hobbits as merchandise and in the media.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 20 2013, 7:21pm

Post #15 of 21 (392 views)
Shortcut
The Warner panel promises 'a surprise or two' [In reply to] Can't Post

It's still ongoing. One of those surprises is almost certainly going to be the announcement about the DC movies coming. But surely The Hobbit has to be mentioned? It's their biggest film left this year.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 7:56pm

Post #16 of 21 (352 views)
Shortcut
Wow. Just Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

That is all.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 21 2013, 12:31am

Post #17 of 21 (225 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

I always got the impression that SDCC just overhyped things. Perhaps Jackson wants to take the promotion of The Hobbit seriously, by having it gradually be revealed, and, as you said, use "normal" channels. This way,The Hobbit can actually get good recognition, without being that overhyped fad some films end up being.

Old Toby
Gondor

Jul 21 2013, 3:54am

Post #18 of 21 (200 views)
Shortcut
Yes SDCC overhypes things but that's just the nature of the beast [In reply to] Can't Post

It's become THE venue for movie companies to showcase their goods to the public, such as upcoming sequels, new films, and it's an incredible marketing opportunity most companies don't want to miss out on. Just because a film is promoted here doesn't make it a fad, nor, I think, does it endanger a film in becoming one. It's just a good way to get the word out in advance to the widest possible audience. Certainly most LOTR/Hobbit/Tolkien geeks would be actively looking for the next production vlog, but the general public won't. And nowdays, having a representation at SDCC is prestigious. I don't know how much control PJ has himself over the marketing of his films. I suspect not a whole lot.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2013, 4:08am

Post #19 of 21 (194 views)
Shortcut
Most definitely OT [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the place to be. It's not only putting the movie out there, it's about creating a buzz and also making the fans a part of the action. The fans drive people to see the movie who otherwise might not go and to purchase merchandise as well as the EE's which come out in Nov. I just don't think WB has any affinity whatsoever for the fan base. I really don't. I guess it is what it is, and I'm sure glad to see TORN was there in force because if it hadn't been for them not a lot was going on. I for one was more excited about the Sherlock stuff. That pains me to say it and I will be there with bells on when the movie comes out but I still believe it was a missed opportunity.

How the heck can you not put your best foot forward for your biggest movie of the year, your merchandise and EE that is forthcoming? It just seems not right to me but maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time Sly

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 21 2013, 8:16am

Post #20 of 21 (166 views)
Shortcut
The importance of SDCC is being qiestioned... [In reply to] Can't Post

...by various people, including film studios.

Personally, i don't think it really matters in the grand scheme of thinks.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jul 21 2013, 8:18am)

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 21 2013, 8:16am

Post #21 of 21 (187 views)
Shortcut
Note three quarters of the $1b earnings came from outside the US [In reply to] Can't Post

This income figure may be why Comi-Con is less of a big deal this year, anyway it is preaching to the converted. The markeitng I suspect will be to the non US 3/4th of the market with tailored trailers and the like for different language markets et al.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.