The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Benedict Cumberbatch's little new Smaug snippet from the L.A. Times

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Jul 20 2013, 1:34am

Post #1 of 19 (2244 views)
Shortcut
Benedict Cumberbatch's little new Smaug snippet from the L.A. Times Can't Post

He has received his second consecutive Emmy nomination and in a couple of interviews he makes small mentions to The Hobbit/Smaug

I’ve got to sort my luggage out now and take out the stuff I had from New Zealand. I was over there evolving Smaug [his character in “The Hobbit”] again with new material, and that’s very, very exciting. I’ve got cold weather clothes from New Zealand

Source

And from his Vulture interview

on the way to New Zealand where I was doing some more work on Smaug, the dragon in The Hobbit

So definitive that there has been more filming for Smaug

Also and as a curiosity, Sherlock had a panel at Comic Con this year and both Martin and Benedict sent messages, Martin's is from the set of The Hobbit and Benedict mentions briefly Smaug and The Necromancer in his really funny intro http://youtu.be/9t0nJtwtRGw

"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 4:21am

Post #2 of 19 (1159 views)
Shortcut
well by the sound of it they've obviously expanded Smaug's role [In reply to] Can't Post

in DOS And TABA, i don't think there is any question now that Smaug won't be in TABA. Especially since they are filming scenes for TABA. To me this tends to go with the theory that Smaug will be possessed by the Necromancer and return in the BOT5A.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

Gandy
Bree

Jul 20 2013, 6:33am

Post #3 of 19 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that this means Smaug for TABA. Too late into detail work on Smaug to be recording new scenes unless they don't care that he looks like a video game character instead of a tangible beast.

Surely even PJ wouldn't allow a zombie dragon? He can't have lost that much focus? What a bizarre and bad choice that would be.

And there would be no mention of this amazing historical event in LOTR movies. "Yea, Sauron. The same guy who resurrected and possessed that colossal dragon a few years back. He's not resurrecting ancient foes now even though he's much stronger. Don't know why. Would be convenient to resurrect some Balrogs" Gandalf explains at the council. "Can't believe we didn't recognize his power then!" exclaims Elrond.

And surely Gandalf should realize that it is indeed Sauron and not a random necromancer. All the obvious clues and he even sees Bilbo hiding a suspicious ring into his pocket. A witch king and zombie dragon would be the final straw that concludes Sauron is out looking for his ring and the one making Bilbo invisible should at least be inspected. But no, Gandalf takes decades to read up on things he already knows and finally thinks to ask Bilbo about it decades later.

I don't see them not realizing it's Sauron in this trilogy. But it will always bug me that Gandalf doesn't think Bilbo's ring is worth checking until Sauron has assumed his Eye and amassed a great army.

Surely not a zombie Smaug. Surely not? Roller coaster barrels is too much already.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 20 2013, 8:44am

Post #4 of 19 (1026 views)
Shortcut
That would be the end of Peter Jackson [In reply to] Can't Post

Critics, purists and fans would kill him if he give us a possessed Smaug. No never. But it underlines my theory that we've got Smaugs death at the beginning of TABA and not at the end of DOS.

I also think that these new Smaug scenes are the ones Peter Jackson mentioned in the EMPIRE interview. The moment where he confronts the company. The finale of the second movie.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Jul 20 2013, 8:44am)

flameofudun
Lorien

Jul 20 2013, 10:14am

Post #5 of 19 (928 views)
Shortcut
You realize... [In reply to] Can't Post

He simply could just be killed in there and back again.... Right? Or he could just be doing pickups, or a reshoot. It could very well be that the finish of dos is dwarves defeating smaug before he flys off to lake town and his death at the hands of bard.

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 10:31am

Post #6 of 19 (950 views)
Shortcut
I can't imagine them *spoilers* [In reply to] Can't Post

putting the death of Smaug at the beginning of TABA...That's a climax, you put that at the end of a film, or in case of Hobbit - since it's not really the end of the story - at the midpoint of film 3.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jul 20 2013, 10:59am)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 20 2013, 10:50am

Post #7 of 19 (914 views)
Shortcut
Why don't start with a boom in TABA? [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all ist Smaugs death not the climax, the BofA is the climax. Smaugs death is the impact for all that happens later.

Second, wouldn't it be great to have two great and big moments in one movie? One at the beginning and one at the end of it? Not all movies have to be the same.

I asked this question in another thread before: What if Smaug dies in DOS? What will you tell your UNAWARE friends? Why should they go to the third movie? The dragon is dead, the Dwarves are in the mountain again. What's left for them? You would propably say: Well there's a huge battle, a lot of politics and Bilbo goes home. A three-hour movie about a battle, politics and a Hobbit coming home? For most of them the story will be finished with Smaugs death.

We've already enough stuff for DOS from the book:
Beorn, Mirkwood (including spider attack), Woodland Realm, Barrel escape, Lake Town, Erebor, Bilbo meets Smaug

And we've new stuff from PJ & Co:
High Fells/Nazgűl tombs, Thrain backstory, Dol Guldur, Elven subplot, Orc attack during Barrel escape, Orcs and Elves fighting in Lake Town, more stuff about Bard and the Master, perhaps even Smaugs or the Necromancers backstory and the new confrontation between Smaug and the Dwarves

There is so much going on before we meet Smaug for the first time. I don't want him to appear for only 10mins before he dies. He deserves more. So why don't start with a boom in TABA?

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Jul 20 2013, 10:51am)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 11:18am

Post #8 of 19 (874 views)
Shortcut
As i said... [In reply to] Can't Post

... you could put it somewhere at the midpoint of film 3. NO WAY at the beginning, that's not how movies work. You need lead up time to that event.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Jul 20 2013, 11:19am)

sycorax82
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 3:25pm

Post #9 of 19 (791 views)
Shortcut
I am sensing a big clash with Smaug at the end of DoS but his death held back for TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad they're expanding Smaug's role. You simply don't have a creature, a character as interesting as Smaug and only give him a couple of scenes.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 4:44pm

Post #10 of 19 (747 views)
Shortcut
there was no balrog around for sauron to possess in LOTR's [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink he was KIA before sauron launched his assault on middle-earth. Well, i think sauron/necromancer will make an appearance at the BOT5A.

take me down to the woodland realm where the trees are green and the elf women are pretty....Oh will you please take me home!!

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 7:38pm

Post #11 of 19 (706 views)
Shortcut
My Guess [In reply to] Can't Post

is that DOS will end with Smaug breaking the mountainside after realizing where the dwarves were able to enter the mountain. It is then that he flies off to Laketown. If PJ was serious about a battle between Smaug and the Dwarves this is where it could occur. The dragon attacks them where he expects them to be. They retaliate with whatever PJ has them retaliate with, Smaug breaks the mountain and flies off to Laketown. Then we either get no clue as to which dwarves if any are still alive after the attack or we find them locked in the mountain with nowhere to go but down. THe end. Until TABA.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 8:12pm

Post #12 of 19 (686 views)
Shortcut
This is my guess as well [In reply to] Can't Post

I have long felt it will end with Smaug flying off to Laketown. That would be the cliffhanger needed to bring people in to TABA and a natural breaking point for the 2nd film

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Gandy
Bree

Jul 20 2013, 8:19pm

Post #13 of 19 (682 views)
Shortcut
action [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems to makes sense. DOS needs Smaug action. The general audience expects dragon action. That means not just talking with Bilbo.

And to save Smaug's death for TABA, PJ will use dwarves + dragon fight as this movies dragon action. Audiences will have there fill of Smaug angry and flaming everything around the mountain, but PJ still leaves, for the general audience, Laketown Smaug action to look forward to in TABA.

It will be a painful teaser, seeing Smaug flying off and realizing we have to wait a year to continue, but this way they can use Smaug to attract ticket sales for both movies. And having dwarves fight within the mountain will hopefully satisfy the action seeking, non-book enthusiasts who desire angry dragon action immediately.

What a teaser of a teaser to end with the the mountain melting and Smaug flying off. Gonna be a hard wait.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Jul 20 2013, 11:08pm

Post #14 of 19 (646 views)
Shortcut
i'm not sure the Laketown attack will be postponed to TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

i could see that being the finale of DOS, i think audiences will want to see a large scale attack by Smaug not just him flying around the lonely mountain but i could be wrong...i think the Laketown attack will happen in DOS but it will end with Smaug flying off with Laketown burning.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 21 2013, 12:21am

Post #15 of 19 (631 views)
Shortcut
A dragon possessed by a minor god/fallen angel [In reply to] Can't Post

would really take the cake. Watch out The Excorist! Laugh Serioulsy though, that would be bad.

Ziggy Stardust
Gondor

Jul 21 2013, 12:27am

Post #16 of 19 (628 views)
Shortcut
That was a fun video [In reply to] Can't Post

Why do I like those two so much? Laugh

aarondirebear
Bree

Jul 26 2013, 2:09pm

Post #17 of 19 (426 views)
Shortcut
wrong [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
putting the death of Smaug at the beginning of TABA...That's a climax, you put that at the end of a film, or in case of Hobbit - since it's not really the end of the story - at the midpoint of film 3.

You don't HAVE to put it at the end, and you can have multiple climaxes throughout a film.

"Others are inclined to say that any two stories that are built round the same folk-lore motive, or are made up of a generally similar combination of such motives, are "the same stories." Statements of that kind are not true, they are not true in art or literature. It is precisely the colouring, the atmosphere, the unclassifiable individual details of a story, and above all the general purport that informs with life the undissected bones of the plot, that really count." J.R.R. Tolkien

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 26 2013, 3:29pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Jul 26 2013, 2:34pm

Post #18 of 19 (418 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

You can't have a climax at the very beginning of a film, not that kind of climax, you would bereft it of its impact. Pacing! This is not like the Balrog at the beginning of TTT, Smaug is one of the main antagonist of the movies whereas the Balrog was just a roadblock and not really important to the story anymore, it was just a setpiece.

Did you even read my post? Of course you can have more climaxes in a movie.

aarondirebear
Bree

Jul 31 2013, 4:40pm

Post #19 of 19 (387 views)
Shortcut
um [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes. You. Can.
Stop beeing such a slave to formula.

"Others are inclined to say that any two stories that are built round the same folk-lore motive, or are made up of a generally similar combination of such motives, are "the same stories." Statements of that kind are not true, they are not true in art or literature. It is precisely the colouring, the atmosphere, the unclassifiable individual details of a story, and above all the general purport that informs with life the undissected bones of the plot, that really count." J.R.R. Tolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.