Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Legolas's last fight scene (possible spoiter alert)

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 19 2013, 9:50am

Post #1 of 24 (1872 views)
Shortcut
Legolas's last fight scene (possible spoiter alert) Can't Post

Did anyone notice that Orlando Bloom's last day of shooting involved a twelve hour shoot of a fight with an orc. Must have been an important orc for such a fight sequence; does this mean that Legolas takes on Azog or Bolg after Thorin is killed; food for thought indeed, but an 18 month wait to find out.

jtarkey
Rohan

Jul 19 2013, 9:57am

Post #2 of 24 (945 views)
Shortcut
No Doubt Legolas will go out with a bang... [In reply to] Can't Post

And seeing how every dwarf in AUJ is capable of Legolas-style stunts, I'm expecting Legolas will ride a balrog into space, transform it into a meteor, and hurl it back down into the battlefield.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 19 2013, 11:10am

Post #3 of 24 (844 views)
Shortcut
It actually would make sense considering [In reply to] Can't Post

the title of 'There and Back Again' Laugh

Legolas arriving there (in space) and coming back to Middle-earth ... fantastic Sly

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

deskp
Lorien

Jul 19 2013, 3:06pm

Post #4 of 24 (667 views)
Shortcut
thing is. [In reply to] Can't Post

the sad part is that, there will be eagles around, and there might be bats, so seeing legolas figthing from 'eagle back' is far from out of the question considering everything else.

Just so we're clear, I don't want this.

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 19 2013, 3:19pm

Post #5 of 24 (700 views)
Shortcut
I still think it was a misleading typo/error [In reply to] Can't Post

As in, he meant to say he was fighting "some serious orc," as in a large number.

Could be wrong...

totoro
Lorien

Jul 19 2013, 4:49pm

Post #6 of 24 (606 views)
Shortcut
As in "Let's hunt some orc?" [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As in, he meant to say he was fighting "some serious orc," as in a large number.

Could be wrong...

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 19 2013, 5:01pm

Post #7 of 24 (580 views)
Shortcut
Precisely! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 19 2013, 9:30pm

Post #8 of 24 (498 views)
Shortcut
The Exact Quote from MovieWeb [In reply to] Can't Post

"Today, Peter Jackson says goodbye to Legolas forever, as Orlando Bloom wrapped an intense 16 hour day on set fighting an Orc." Hard to see this as a typo.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Jul 19 2013, 10:20pm

Post #9 of 24 (476 views)
Shortcut
scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that it is likely that he was fighting an important orc or they wouldn't have bothered with the time and money to get it right. Perhaps they kept Azog for Thorin's fight and Legolas fights Bolg. Who knows? We certainly won't until TABA Wink

Maybe somehow he befriends Fili and Kili and keeps Bolg at bay until Beorn arrives?

If you want a source for more theories just go to fanfiction.net Tongue

On a more serious note, it could very well be that it went so long because they had to do multiple takes because a stunt wasn't executed right, or someone lost a sword when they shouldn't have, or someone dropped an arrow or broke a bowstring, a stuntman may have gotten hurt, etc.

There are a lot of reasons why it would take 16 hours to film a proper fight scene. Not to mention moving the camera to various angles to capture exactly what you want to see. I can imagine they had many pauses while they rearranged equipment for close ups, panning, zoom, as well as various angles for the exact same five seconds of fighting.

And since we all have heard at one point or another that Bloom is IRL extremely clumsy, I can imagine how difficult it would be to perform some of those, erm, elaborate (meaning occasionally OTT) stunts that Legolas has to execute flawlessly!

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 1:50am

Post #10 of 24 (397 views)
Shortcut
More theories??? AUGH. [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't recommend that site without warning everyone that it has been flooded with insane movie-only fangirls!! Mad Seriously, it has become a scary place. I avoid it like the plague now... which is kind of sad actually. I shouldn't have to be fleeing my own fandom. But I am trying to remain in denial about TABA for a while yet. Unsure

*deep breath*

Sorry, Cirashala, but reading (or just reading the summary) of one too many bad fanfictions has scarred me for life.

As for Legolas and the orc, I just figure that he was fighting one of Bolg's bodyguards or Azog's hunters. Hmm, seems they have too many heroes and not enough super-nasty orcs for all the epic battles they want...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Jul 20 2013, 2:31am

Post #11 of 24 (375 views)
Shortcut
I was only teasing [In reply to] Can't Post

Seriously, I was only kidding! Although yes I do read fanfiction (write some too-but definitely not those awful shipping ones-that's disgusting!) but I am very selective about what I read and if it gets to be too stupid, I quit that story.

I also fully understand that there is no way most people who write fanfiction are going to be doing Tolkien justice, although once in a while I come across a phenomenal story written by someone who merely wonders what if this happened instead of that and goes on to write an absolutely amazing story while still keeping the spirit of Tolkien alive within their writing-in essence, speculation just like we do here, only via storytelling instead of posting Smile There are a select few that I believe may become best selling authors should they ever put as much passion into their own stories someday. I just find it interesting to see how people show different perspectives on the character traits they identify with the characters within the story. Sometimes I notice a character trait that after I watch the movie again I see where they get it, but missed it before. Lol perhaps some of these phenomenal authors would have done the screenplay more justice according to the tastes of some others on TORn who were not content with how the actual script was written in real life Wink (I personally loved the movie and appreciate each medium- book, movie, and FF- for its own merits)

But to each their own.

As to looking for serious speculation like we are doing in this particular thread- I was only kidding I promise! Angelic

Sorry to dredge up bad memories for you Evil

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 20 2013, 4:34am

Post #12 of 24 (372 views)
Shortcut
See, even that quote is wrong, haha. [In reply to] Can't Post

The original via PJ facebook says, "a serious Orc."

I admit that's not exactly very likely that it was a typo of some sort, but the possibility remains.

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 5:10am

Post #13 of 24 (359 views)
Shortcut
My Quote wasn't from PJ's Facebook but Movie web and is correct [In reply to] Can't Post

On Movie web there are two quotes in the one article: one talking about 16 hours filming and the other 12 hours; I chose the first as it made the point of a singular orc more clearly. So my quote from move web is correct (not sure what the haha!! refers to) http://www.movieweb.com/news/orlando-bloom-and-evangeline-lilly-wrap-shooting-on-the-hobbit-trilogy; and easy to check.

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 8:51am

Post #14 of 24 (322 views)
Shortcut
Just sloppy writing [In reply to] Can't Post

The guy who wrote the article seems to be really sloppy, as he contradicts himself a second time lower down:

Fans themselves can say goodbye to Legolas and Tauriel on December 13 of this year, when The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug debuts in theaters, followed by the December 17, 2014, premiere of the final chapter in this trilogy The Hobbit: There and Back Again.

Why say goodbye to Legolas and Tauriel on Dec. 13th if we'll see them again next year?

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Imladris18
Lorien

Jul 20 2013, 3:50pm

Post #15 of 24 (274 views)
Shortcut
Your quote from that site is correct, yes [In reply to] Can't Post

but that's not exactly what he said. The fact that the article mentions two different hour amounts makes it even more sketchy because it seems to me that they are both referring to the same day. But oh well, time will tell.

The "haha" wasn't scoffing you or anything, just to show that I'm not being nasty about it or anything.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 5:14pm

Post #16 of 24 (255 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have read some very wonderful fanfiction written by people who obviously have done their research and who (gasp) have even read The Silmarillion. However, they're few and far in between... sadly. I do really like reading it when someone intelligently and respectfully explores a theory of their own or pursues a, "What if?" angle.

However, for every one of us who are out to speculate in a serious manner or have a bit of fun, there are those who... well... you know. *pets my copy of the book in order to counteract bad memories* My precious...

So... as far as serious speculation goes, my opinion is that Legolas will fight one of Bolg's bodyguard. I could stir the pot and suggest that PJ will bring in *another* orc miniboss for the BOFA for Legolas to fight, but I won't do that.

Instead, I'd just like to point out.. heeeeyyyy... Thranduil will need a big scene in the BOFA, too. So who is he going to end up fighting? No one has speculated on this point yet. Is he another person in the long list of candidates who could potentially off Azog or Bolg? Any thoughts on this, people?

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 20 2013, 9:55pm

Post #17 of 24 (232 views)
Shortcut
Slightly off point but what about Dain Ironfoot and big fight scene [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems Billy Connelly wasn't around or pick ups (unless he was very low key). So does Dain get big fight scene or does he just lord it over everybody from his big pig?? Note Blly is getting on a bit for too much action, and I suspect it is not his style.

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 21 2013, 12:40am

Post #18 of 24 (210 views)
Shortcut
Maybe two different sources [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe MovieWeb followed up the Facebook quote (like journalists occassionaly do) and interviewed other folk hence the slightly different quote and slightly different shoot time

Roheryn
Grey Havens

Jul 21 2013, 1:12am

Post #19 of 24 (247 views)
Shortcut
Watch out for the incoming spoiters! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds messy. Pass the Kleenex.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Jul 21 2013, 1:29am

Post #20 of 24 (231 views)
Shortcut
Don't know about Fili and Kili [In reply to] Can't Post

or any of the other Dwarves. The whole point of Legolas' friendship with Gimli is that it was groundbreaking. Legolas' presence makes sense in that he realistically probably would have been in Mirkwood at the time of Bilbo's adventure, but they're going to have to be very careful about putting the cart before the horse. Some hints of what is to come, perhaps - maybe even some mutual respect, but not quite friendship.

I also wonder how they're going to handle Legolas' presence vis-a-vis Bilbo, as there's no indication in either cannon or the movieverse as far as I remember that they knew eachother before the Council of Elrond. I don't know how they're going to deal with that.

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 21 2013, 8:07am

Post #21 of 24 (211 views)
Shortcut
Keeping Legolas away from Bilbo will very interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

In LOR they never acually met, but Bilbo was at Rivendell at the time of the Council. Better to keep them apart in these two films for credibility and continuity sake, so how they do that will be interesting. Bilbo is knocked out for most of the Battle of Five Armies but in Desolation of Smaug and the barrel scene???

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Jul 21 2013, 8:50am

Post #22 of 24 (219 views)
Shortcut
Legolas and Bilbo appear to meet in Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

The screenshot shows a first informal rehearsal of an apparent meeting in Dale involving Legolas, Tauriel, Gandalf, and Bilbo.

Gandalf says "Legolas Greenleaf" and then meets Tauriel as Bilbo looks on.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

patrickk
Rohan

Jul 21 2013, 9:31am

Post #23 of 24 (203 views)
Shortcut
What is Gandalf doing at Dale? [In reply to] Can't Post

As Gandalf did not turn up until much later in the piece (BOFA), what is he doing at Dale?

cats16
Valinor

Jul 21 2013, 4:47pm

Post #24 of 24 (244 views)
Shortcut
Just my guess here...(book spoilers mixed in) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil and his people who traveled with him to the Mountain are staying in Dale, rather than on the open ground that they do in the book. Bilbo has climbed over the wall at this point, and has found Gandalf within the camp in Dale. He walks with him, to find Legolas and Tauriel arriving to support Thranduil in case a fight should break out. Then...comes the Orc-surprise.

We've seen shots in the vlogs showing Gandalf, and others, fighting Orcs on the streets of Dale. Maybe this is just continuing coverage of the BoFA. It could spill into the city, rather than only on open ground around the foot of the Mountain. And Bilbo would have gone back to the dwarves, to shock Thorin with the Arkenstone scene. So I think the only thing that really changes much is that Gandalf meets Bilbo in the Elven camp earlier than in the book (where Bilbo meets Gandalf as he is walking back to the Mountain). That's not to say that Gandalf hadn't been in Thranduil's camp for a little while beforehand. There is no explicit mentioning of when he arrived at Erebor. We know when the assault on DG happens, but nothing of his travels afterwards (anyone step in here if I've missed something/given erroneous facts, as I do every once and awhile CrazyBlushSmile).

That's all entirely based on me trying to fit together the bits and pieces we've seen along with book events. But of course, there may be alterations/additions made to this that falsify my thoughts. But if my guesses above are remotely correct, there really wouldn't be that much difference from the text here.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.