Trailer, Vlogs, Pictures, Beorn?

DuBekar
Rivendell

Jul 17 2013, 8:56am

Post #1 of 21 (2725 views)
Shortcut
Trailer, Vlogs, Pictures, Beorn? Can't Post

When will there be new ones?

I can wait for a trailer, that is not hard because i don't want to bee TOO much spoiled how it will looks like :) but a vlog or too and maybe some pictures from the movie, and for heavens sake I want to see BEORN! :(

Does anyone know when they will release some new stuff for everyone? :) Perhaps Weta and/or WB will show something at Comic con? I know Peter Jackson won't be there nor anyone from the cast, but maybe something at least? :)

" Why, O people of Noldor! Fëanor cried. Why should we longer serve the jealous Valar, who cannot keep us nor even their own realm secure from their enemy? And though he be now their foe, are not they and he of one kin? Vengence calls me hence, but even were it otherwise I would not dwell longer in the same land with the kin of my father's slayer and of the thief of treasure. Yet i am not the only valiant in this valiant people. And have ye not all lost your King? And what else have ye not lost, cooped here in a narrow land between the mountains and the sea? Here once was light, that the Valar begrudged to middle-earth, but now dark levels all. Shall we mourn here deedless forever, a shadow-folk, mist-haunting, dropping vain tears in the thankless sea? Or shall we return to our home? In cuiviènen sweet ran the waters under uncloaded stars, and wide lands lay about, where a free people might walk. There they lie still and await us who in out folly forsook them. Come away! Let the cowards keep this city!"

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 17 2013, 10:16am

Post #2 of 21 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Beorn figure? [In reply to] Can't Post

Bridge Direct have a Beorn figure coming in Sep/Oct. Surely therefore it will be shown at SDCC, but whether or not they'll allow photography remains to be seen.

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 17 2013, 10:22am

Post #3 of 21 (1684 views)
Shortcut
I'm waiting on the Extended Edition advert, more than anything // [In reply to] Can't Post

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Jul 17 2013, 11:13am

Post #4 of 21 (1633 views)
Shortcut
But they're not having any Hobbit stuff at Comic Con this year // [In reply to] Can't Post

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 17 2013, 11:19am

Post #5 of 21 (1643 views)
Shortcut
Warner panel? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure Warner could unveil The Hobbit EE. Just because Jackson isn't there doesn't mean that can't be shown surely? An announcement is surely imminent.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2013, 3:15pm

Post #6 of 21 (1558 views)
Shortcut
I think Peter said [In reply to] Can't Post

one of the reasons he wasn't attending Comic Con was because he didn't have enough time to prepare any materials. WB might make an announcement, but I wonder if there's enough content to make any kind of reveal.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 17 2013, 5:00pm

Post #7 of 21 (1584 views)
Shortcut
WETA's Hobbit booth [In reply to] Can't Post

If you saw on Weta's Facebook, they are setting up a Hobbit booth, and have teased an image of a set of teeth that look certainly like a bear's. I think we'll see a Beorn statue of some sort, kind of like the stone trolls last year at Comic-con.

Lover of Medieval Fantasy
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 17 2013, 5:22pm

Post #8 of 21 (1539 views)
Shortcut
Yup - they are Beorn's bear theeth [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if we will get to see Human Beorn? All bears look the same, not much of a spoiler? Wink

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

Shagrat
Gondor

Jul 17 2013, 5:43pm

Post #9 of 21 (1440 views)
Shortcut
Possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

A trailer might be pushing it, but then someone could cobble that together and get PJ's approval - he wouldn't really need to oversee that. But then I don't see why they can't reveal the EE set with some details.

TheSexyBeard
Lorien

Jul 17 2013, 9:43pm

Post #10 of 21 (1379 views)
Shortcut
Warg? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the teeth were more warg like rather than bear like. We'll find out soon enough though.

Yes, my username is terrible.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 17 2013, 9:47pm

Post #11 of 21 (1388 views)
Shortcut
Definitely bear... [In reply to] Can't Post

Compare:

This, with this, and with this.

Definitely bear.

Smile

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 17 2013, 10:52pm

Post #12 of 21 (1348 views)
Shortcut
Warg or Beorn? [In reply to] Can't Post

My guess is actually a warg, based on nose shape. The statue's nose is very flattened, unlike a bear, but characteristic of Weta's wargs. Also the number of lower incisors is only 4, like the warg pictured, but unlike the bear.

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 17 2013, 10:58pm

Post #13 of 21 (1352 views)
Shortcut
Whoa... [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually thought at first that the warg in the shot from AUJ was a real wolf at a quick glance...CrazyCoolBlush

*high five to WETA* Smile

These screenshots make me want to re-watch the film! It's actually been awhile, relatively speaking...maybe soon after finishing reading LOTR again I'll binge watch all four. Now I know what I'll be doing in a couple of weekends. Tongue

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jul 17 2013, 11:44pm

Post #14 of 21 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Beorn figure [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, The Bridge Direct will have a booth at Comic-Con. I believe they allowed photography last year, but not all of their upcoming figures were shown. If I remember correctly, Bolg and the Goblin King were not revealed until much closer to the October release date. Beorn may be similarly held back for a later reveal. Whichever the case, we will find out this week! Elessar should keep us posted on all things collectible, so keep an eye on the "Gaming and Collecting" board here on TORN.

(This post was edited by stormcrow20 on Jul 17 2013, 11:48pm)

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 18 2013, 6:31am

Post #15 of 21 (1253 views)
Shortcut
Warg: I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

The whole mouth just looks too small for the bear/Beorn shot in the trailer - not to mention the flattened nose as already pointed out.

Plus, to ugly looking for a bear! Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 18 2013, 6:35am

Post #16 of 21 (1273 views)
Shortcut
It's not at all a bear [In reply to] Can't Post

Sharp front teeth lead me to think its a carnivore. Take a look at the pictures you posted. Beorn is a bear with omnivore front teeth as well. Plus the nose is by far closer to the warg. It's probably the pale warg.

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 18 2013, 7:45am

Post #17 of 21 (1251 views)
Shortcut
The nose might be flatter, but it doesn't look anything like the Warg either. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

WETA have put more pictures up in their facebook page, but no more of what this is. It's probably a Rhosgobel rabbit.

Edit:

Well, maybe I should apologise. It's a Warg after all.

The front teeth are nothing like they are in the film. Hence we I was going for bear.

Frown

Holds head in shame.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 18 2013, 7:50am)

DarkJackal
Rohan

Jul 19 2013, 12:19am

Post #18 of 21 (1122 views)
Shortcut
Fugly [In reply to] Can't Post

It's even uglier than the film. :)

The Hobbit Photo Gallery

Cirashala
Valinor

Jul 19 2013, 12:52am

Post #19 of 21 (1116 views)
Shortcut
bears [In reply to] Can't Post

Some bears are carnivores, some are omnivores, and some are herbivores.

The American Grizzly, the Kodiak, the Polar Bear, etc are considered carnivores, and from what the brief glimpse PJ&co gave us, Beorn looks to me to resemble a giant brown bear which I believe is a cousin or a subtype of grizzly. But I didn't get a good enough look at the snout and if memory serves me rightly Grizzlies have a shorter snout and a very broad head than Beorn's bear did.

Now, the Black bear, which Tolkien wrote that Beorn's shapeshifting persona was, is primarily an herbivore if memory serves me rightly (keep in mind I have gone berry picking in the mountains and we are always on the lookout for bears!)- it does not eat meat, only honey, berries, and such. That could also explain Tolkien's description of him not eating any animals of any kind (that could also point toward the fact that he doesn't eat them because sometimes he is one himself, but that law is untrue within biology in that some animals do eat others ie- predator, hunted).

Keep in mind most of my knowledge of bears comes from North American species and subspecies, although I am familiar with others such as the Panda (herbivore). If there are bears in NZ or surrounding areas then I am not so much.

I just find it odd personally that, while I LOVE the movies as well as the books and understand fully that adaptations are just that-adaptations and that it is sometimes cinematically necessary to modify since we don't get the thoughts and feelings and events without action and dialogue, I for the life of me cannot understand why PJ&co made Beorn a brown bear instead of a black bear considering the major dietary differences between the two that also are very important in Beorn's entire character description Crazy

It's not like it would be that hard to change Beorn's color at least!

Half Elven Daughter of Celethian of the Woodland Realm

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 19 2013, 1:04am

Post #20 of 21 (1114 views)
Shortcut
There are no bears in NZ [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, there are no native land mammals at all, apart from a couple of species of native bat.
Now there's an idea...Beorn as a bat...

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jul 19 2013, 5:12am

Post #21 of 21 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Well that's just bat-shift crazy! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

In Reply To
Now there's an idea...Beorn as a bat...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.