Cool

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2013, 10:47pm

Post #52 of 157 (1492 views)
Shortcut
YOU SHALL NOT FLOP!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Its time tooccupy the boards untill we get our like buttonsTongue

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 18 2013, 10:47pm

Post #53 of 157 (1485 views)
Shortcut
Well bless us and flop us [In reply to] Can't Post

I like this very much!

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 18 2013, 10:50pm

Post #54 of 157 (1481 views)
Shortcut
It's under the hearth rug [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry. Laugh

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 18 2013, 10:51pm

Post #55 of 157 (1495 views)
Shortcut
Tra la la lally, come flop in the valley [In reply to] Can't Post

So much liking! I like it.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2013, 11:09pm

Post #56 of 157 (1466 views)
Shortcut
But honestly, a like button with a like thump with a ring in it would be AWESOME [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I want to show that I like all of your posts Smile

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2013, 11:11pm

Post #57 of 157 (1498 views)
Shortcut
There's always [In reply to] Can't Post

The "mods up" post. I know it's not as good as a Like button, but it's very TORn.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2013, 11:12pm

Post #58 of 157 (1500 views)
Shortcut
Aye, I could love that too [In reply to] Can't Post

And I willWink and I do, but due that english is not my mother tongue I realice now what it means MODS UP hehehe I didn´t know and I did not question that to anybody, my apologies

(This post was edited by isaac on Jul 18 2013, 11:16pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2013, 11:22pm

Post #59 of 157 (1475 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome [In reply to] Can't Post

You thought I hated AUJ? As far as I know, I've never said I "hated" it, although I admit I can come off a bit strong in describing my dislike of certain aspects (as far as a few occasions are concerned, well, all I'll say is that alcohol and internet message boards do not mix well). Anyway, I liked a good 60-70% of the movie, I just feel some of the deviations were unnecessary, and I STILL have a bit of trouble accepting Azog's presence. I agree with Voronwe in that there were also things in the LOTR films that got under my skin a bit (Saruman's premature death, the omission of everything in between the departure of the Shire and Bree), but I let most of those deviations slide in my own mind because I know there simply wasn't enough time to put everything from the book. By contrast, I feel that with TH, Jackson is throwing in everything but the kitchen sink and dragging things out that IMO didn't need to be dragged out. So that's why it's a little harder for me to get past the deviations in AUJ. It isn't going to stop me from watching the next two completely overblown and over-the-top installments though Wink

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 18 2013, 11:39pm

Post #60 of 157 (1472 views)
Shortcut
*blushes* Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That like button would get some abuse here, wouldn't it? Wink

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 18 2013, 11:58pm

Post #61 of 157 (1463 views)
Shortcut
nah [In reply to] Can't Post

There never would be too much use of a like button, just a fool ´s...Tongue

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2013, 12:11am

Post #62 of 157 (1455 views)
Shortcut
On the old message boards, [In reply to] Can't Post

we could vote posts up and down, once we had "moderating privileges" which means that we had at least 100 posts on a particular forum. So we could "mod up" posts we like, or "mod down" posts that violated the message board rules. The mods down vote was a signal to the admins to investigate a post in case it needed to be deleted.

The old boards were creaky and extended way beyond their capacity, so achieving 100 posts was a temporary plateau, and quite often the software would dump all our stats and we started over again. I gained and lost moderating privileges dozens of times.

With our shiny new message boards, we don't lose our stats, but we had to give up the option to moderate posts. So we've adapted the custom of posting "Mods Up" when we find something that is worthy. It's an old Torn tradition, and serves as a reasonable replacement for the "Like" button.Cool

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2013, 12:14am

Post #63 of 157 (1458 views)
Shortcut
So "mods up" for that! [In reply to] Can't Post

WinkI dont know how I reached Rohan without knowing that

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 19 2013, 12:31am

Post #64 of 157 (1442 views)
Shortcut
Clever film-makers, to flop so high! / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 19 2013, 12:51am

Post #65 of 157 (1457 views)
Shortcut
Flop of a Took!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2013, 12:54am

Post #66 of 157 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Pippin´s Moria Flop was a big one was it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2013, 12:55am

Post #67 of 157 (1450 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

cats16
Half-elven

Jul 19 2013, 1:06am

Post #68 of 157 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf (the Grey, that is) would say so lol // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2013, 1:24am

Post #69 of 157 (1451 views)
Shortcut
;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

LaughLaughLaugh

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Jul 19 2013, 3:13am

Post #70 of 157 (1422 views)
Shortcut
... struggles to toss in something as clever as my fellows but [In reply to] Can't Post

My wit has wimped out on me. Must be due to flop sweat.

Smile

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 19 2013, 3:58am

Post #71 of 157 (1415 views)
Shortcut
I certainly understand it. Even though I loved MOST of the film (you already know the several things I disliked or hated) [In reply to] Can't Post

I recognize the essential difference between a movie one casually dislikes, versus a movie one dislikes that is based upon pre-existing material which one loves. The former generally does not engender much commentary from one unless another brings it up. The latter can be akin to the slandering of one's icons or a misrepresentation of one's faith, and can really get people going.

Hated works can also engender a lot of response, but usually because they lance some fundemental notion that a person holds close to heart.

In Reply To
… to endlessly post about films that they dislike. I've never posted about any film apart from the LOTR sequence and The Hobbit (which I love, on the whole), simply because I feel most mainstream films I see are instantly forgettable (or just plain bad) and I wouldn't waste valuable time posting about them.

I guess we are all different and have varying amounts of time on our hands…

In Reply To

Or maybe it's just people who were simply disappointed with the film... by Salmacis81

it seems to me that it is mostly attention seekers and mischievous juveniles who troll boards in the hope of getting a rise from people who love the films

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 19 2013, 4:06am

Post #72 of 157 (1407 views)
Shortcut
Salmacis answers wonderfully, and I will add what I said before. [In reply to] Can't Post

Again, recognize the essential difference between a movie one casually dislikes, versus a movie one dislikes that is based upon pre-existing material which one loves. The former generally does not engender much commentary from one unless another brings it up. The latter can be akin to the slandering of one's icons or a misrepresentation of one's faith, and can really get people going.

Hated works can also engender a lot of response, but usually because they lance some fundemental notion that a person holds close to heart.

It is passion that engenders the sort of fervid posting you refer to, but not all passions are positive. People are almost as apt to talk about things they passionately dislike as about things they are passionately enamoured of. There is even a term for it. Venting. Several actually, but I won't get into some of the others. lol

In Reply To
for answering a question I have always wondered about: why do people who dislike AUJ continue to post about it. (Let me hasten to add that they have every right to do so!) I get what you are saying about your emotional investment.

This is a phenomenon that I’ve noticed on other boards on other topics and I’ve never been able to figure it out. Like Glorfindela, if I dislike something I just forget about it and would never spend time on a related message board. But then I remember that this is Tolkien and even if I hated AUJ, I’m not sure I could disengage.

I was under the impression that you hated AUJ so it’s nice to hear that you can get some enjoyment out of it.

JT Tarkey, of course some people genuinely didn’t like the movie. I don’t suspect that the critics or anyone else (aside from a few Tolkien book fans) have a vendetta against PJ. There was some ambivalent buzz about AUJ before it was released so the reviews were not really that surprising, critics being what they are. DoS will likely be more of the same as AUJ except bigger and darker and it’s possible that the critics will like it better, if they can get over their prejudice against 48 fps.Wink

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

(This post was edited by AinurOlorin on Jul 19 2013, 4:06am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 19 2013, 4:28am

Post #73 of 157 (1429 views)
Shortcut
It is possible, but I think a lot of the reactions were far worse than they would have been had [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter not been directing, and had the movies not been essential follow ups to the massively successful Rings with all the baggage of expectation (both of equal greatness on the one hand, and of a sub-par misguided or worse money grabbing attempt on the other).

Also, a lot of sentiment was turned after the change of directors, coupled with the repeated change to the number of films being made, and then the hype over HFR.

Peter would not be the first director or celebrity to engender the feeling amongst critics and media that he or she might need a little deflating. The negative responders would not be intentionally looking to trash the end product, but lots of subliminal negative sentiment can seep in and really ruin an experience. If one comes to a film cynical, jaded, or even wary and looking for flaws, flaws are bound to be both found and exacerbated.

In Reply To
I don't hate AUJ. I actually just watched it yesterday!

That doesn't mean I wasn't disappointed though. And why do people assume that critics have some sort of vendetta against PJ? As far as I knew, PJ's reputation was fairly solid before AUJ came out.

Isn't it possible that some people genuinely didn't like the movie?

jtarkey
Rohan

Jul 19 2013, 4:30am

Post #74 of 157 (1381 views)
Shortcut
Wonderfully re-iterated! [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, I am more vocal about my misgivings of AUJ because they out number the things I liked about it. I loved LOTR. I love Tolkien. I can't simply dismiss these films and move on...

At this point, it's mainly the visual aesthetic that gets to me. I don't think this CGI, digital crispness is fitting of a world that is supposed to be ancient. I have seen films recently, that are set in the future, that don't have the extreme "digital look" of AUJ.

It's the main thing that makes me feel half of the motivation of making these films was simply to push technology.

I can deal with changes to the original narrative, so long as they aren't executed in a hokey, and fake way.

And there are certainly scenes in LOTR that were executed poorly. However, they are few and far between in comparison to AUJ IMO. FOTR is nearly flawless in my mind.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

(This post was edited by jtarkey on Jul 19 2013, 4:32am)

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Jul 19 2013, 5:14am

Post #75 of 157 (1386 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. And I know what you mean. The Necromancer scene was [In reply to] Can't Post

poorly executed to my mind.

The brightness in areas was fine, as was the enhanced colour (I wish they had enhanced the Blue of Gandalf's hat even more in some scenes, and had given more colour to the pinecone fire, but I digress), since this is supposed to have more of an Enchanted Fairy Tale atmosphere than Rings.

The hardest thing for me were the severe changes, with Azog, and also with some of the timeline and the inaccurate implications of the hierarchy of the internal White Council.

In Reply To
For instance, I am more vocal about my misgivings of AUJ because they out number the things I liked about it. I loved LOTR. I love Tolkien. I can't simply dismiss these films and move on...

At this point, it's mainly the visual aesthetic that gets to me. I don't think this CGI, digital crispness is fitting of a world that is supposed to be ancient. I have seen films recently, that are set in the future, that don't have the extreme "digital look" of AUJ.

It's the main thing that makes me feel half of the motivation of making these films was simply to push technology.

I can deal with changes to the original narrative, so long as they aren't executed in a hokey, and fake way.

And there are certainly scenes in LOTR that were executed poorly. However, they are few and far between in comparison to AUJ IMO. FOTR is nearly flawless in my mind.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.