Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Interesting comments on the front page

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 30 2007, 3:18am

Post #1 of 8 (408 views)
Shortcut
Interesting comments on the front page Can't Post

from the writer of The Frodo Franchise. She has pulled together all of the information published about The Hobbit films, and these excerpts caught my eye:

The title "Executive Producer" leaves open the question of how actively involved Jackson and Walsh will be on The Hobbit. "Executive Producer" often means someone who has played a major role in getting a project launched but has not had a hands-on part. Saul Zaentz, Harvey Weinstein, and Bob Weinstein were Executive Producers on Rings. Founder and co-president of New Line, Bob Shaye, however, states in the release, "Peter and Fran will be actively and creatively involved with ‘The Hobbit’ movies."
...David M. Halbfinger, writing in the New York Times, discussed Peter and Fran’s contributions as producers: "They will share with New Line the right to approve all creative elements: director, screenwriter, script, cast, filming location, event the visual-effects company used (as if there were any doubt that his Weta Digital would be chosen)."

It sounds like PJ will be able to direct his chosen team without having to direct the movies - and he gets to see a Tolkien movie from someone else's point of view, rather than knowing all of the nuts and bolts behind it, which is what he said part of him wished were possible with the LOTR movies he made.

Sounds good to me!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elven
Valinor

Dec 30 2007, 1:40pm

Post #2 of 8 (217 views)
Shortcut
I read the articles ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and had a sense that there is something else behind PJ not directing the Hobbit, and maybe thats more prevelant now, but I get the feeling PJ is anxious about the outcome and expectation. I think the role he is taking at the moment is a safe path - no more having to get 'approvals' ... like waiting for someone to cut out the 'smoking scene' or many other decisions which had to be ticked before being 'allowed' to go ahead with in the LOTR.

... and maybe that stems from wanting something more out of what he is doing? What do you do with the sequel after you and your team won every little gold statue on offer after making such a phenominal monsterous winning success such as Lord of The Rings to start with? How do you top that? How do you find substance and meaning, inspiration, and be able to find a personal true assessment of yourself and your craft, beyond the expectations of others ... especially associated with the Hobbit ... where do you find it, where do you go? Since the LOTR he has not stopped ....he has made his own benchmark ... so high!
So in some way, the responsibility of the position he has taken with the Hobbit is about sharing the load a little - or spreading it out a bit more ... like self promotion ... maybe his aim is to move ahead in a new direction in this field ...

but I still see his name under the title: Director ...
If I had to wait until PJ found his groove, and found the light that he is looking for, what ever experience will come to do that, what ever new discovery he needs ... I will always believe there is hope of him directing - co-direction. I'd like to see Fran direct the Hobbit ... or a woman (not being bias - just my choice) and who knows, maybe some young guy with alot of energy, then again, maybe if there were delays in production Peter will jump in there and change his mind ... 2015? Bring it on.

Elven

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 30 2007, 2:24pm

Post #3 of 8 (214 views)
Shortcut
It was never about the awards [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter took on LOTR because it was deemed unfilmable - he challenged himself to show that a movie could be made out of the books. That was his motivation. He's never been part of the Hollywood establishment (nor does he want to be), so awards don't mean as much to him.

I think Peter wants to do the Hobbit for the same reasons as LOTR - a good movie has never been made of The Hobbit and he has the means to take it on. Peter's also worried about keeping the folks at WETA employed, and The Hobbit will keep them busy for years. He has said in interviews that he feels obligated to all the people who had jobs on LOTR and he worries about keeping their jobs.

I think the reasons for the Hobbit movie agreement as it now stands are buried in some of the announcements. Peter didn't want the fans to have to continue waiting, and he was able to craft a contract so that he has creative control. The remaining details can be worked out at a later time, but he was anxious to get something on paper. I don't think he feels he needs to direct if he has the creative control he's established, although I'm sure he's willing to be the director if needed.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Elven
Valinor

Dec 30 2007, 2:44pm

Post #4 of 8 (210 views)
Shortcut
I didn't think it was about awards ... [In reply to] Can't Post

its not awards that I think its about either ... I didnt mean to give that impression - it was my perspective ....
and WETA would do fine without the Hobbit, and without PJ's involvement with the Hobbit, as WETA did say they would like to be involved even if Peter wasnt doing the Hobbit ...

I dont have any doubt that Peter would do the Hobbit and the sequel pure justice. It takes alot of raw determination, guts, and pure vision (I think) to say "Hey, this is possible" - like he did with LOTR ... and then do it. There was never a reason to consider it would be a failure ... and I dont think the Hobbit will be either ... its just the expectation of maybe going into do another Tolkien film this time around, in hindsight of what the LOTR did to cinema and entertainment in general ... and Hollywood is coming to New Zealand, as is Bollywood, Australia, and most of Asia and Europe as well .... Welliwood Smile

... and I totally agree that the steam was running out to get an announcement ... as with timelines and deadlines for everything ... it was possible to see the very subtle build-up of the announcement coming, and the rumours were starting to fly ...

but seeing there have been very few further announcements about anything to do with the movie, I think its credible to say 'something had to be said' at the time ... it was all too tangled up in the politics of it all, than the excitement of a possible announcement for a film.

Elven.

The Shire was never the same after
Barbra Cartland moved into Bagshot Row.

Tolkien was a Capricorn!
The Hobbit!!
Its a Happening Thing!!

Russell Crowe for Beorn

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2007, 7:35pm

Post #5 of 8 (265 views)
Shortcut
Jim Dorey from Marketsaw told me... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I am quoting Jim Dorey, because he has reported everything with outstanding accuracy so far... that Peter wanted to give some kind of Christmas present, and that's why they rushed an announcement right before Christmas. We had been waiting for it since October 2006, and PJ didn't want us to wait any longer.

Apart from that, whatever we say is pure speculation. Yes, Peter's agent said he won't be directing, so what? Peter himself wrote a year ago saying he was entirely out of The Hobbit.

Jim stands by his reports, and I stand by what I have said, The Hobbit is Peter's project, he has already gotten nearly absolute creative control (the control mentioned in the press release is understated, believe me. Peter will have all the decision power in the production within the budget limits, which will be managed by Shaye) He won't let anyone else ruin his victory against New Line. Peter knows he got the arrangement because of fan support, and the pressure everyone imposed over New Line. He won't gamble what he has accomplished. He won't risk The Hobbit to be the new Episode 1 in the eyes of critics. He won't risk his reputation and credibility before the fans. Too much is at stake.

Announcements will come as they are available, spread throughout the whole 12 months of 2008. Several outside matters have to be arranged. The WGA strike, Bones, and that arrangement that Jackson will make with Spielberg, in order to coordinate his participation in Tintin. Spielberg is a man of personal accomplishments and projects. He did Schindler's List for free because it was important to him. He knows what The Hobbit means to Jackson: confirmation of his status, a than you to his fans, vindication after King Kong. I assure you, Tintin won't be in the way.

That said, if Peter insists on not directing, it will be entirely his choice, and not a path taken due to external factors. Even then, he cannot risk what I have said, so whoever he trusts to be an heir to the legacy he created, will probably be a worthy heir. The Hobbit will be a great movie, whoever directs it.

Let it be heard! We want Jackson for The Hobbit!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

deej
Tol Eressea

Dec 30 2007, 11:53pm

Post #6 of 8 (184 views)
Shortcut
I can't imagine PJ and Fran not being hands on with this project [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it would be a stretch to say that 'The Hobbit' would just be some other project for PJ and Fran - they've invested so much of themselves in Tolkien's world that I can't imagine they would want to trust 'The Hobbit' with anyone else. Regardless of whether PJ does direct, make no mistake that he and Fran are going to have final say in what goes into this film.

The Hobbit is Happening!

Bilbo Fans for Martin Freeman!

(This post was edited by deej on Dec 30 2007, 11:54pm)

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Dec 31 2007, 12:25am

Post #7 of 8 (179 views)
Shortcut
PJ's energy [In reply to] Can't Post

*slightly OT* I haven't kept up on PJ as a person, but in the photo associated with The Hobbit announcement he looks thinner than four years ago. If that means healthier, too, I'm pleased both for him and for his professional capacity, amazing as it already was.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Tim
Tol Eressea

Dec 31 2007, 1:29am

Post #8 of 8 (218 views)
Shortcut
Eeek [In reply to] Can't Post

2015? Um good Lord no way. :-)

In Reply To
... and had a sense that there is something else behind PJ not directing the Hobbit, and maybe thats more prevelant now, but I get the feeling PJ is anxious about the outcome and expectation. I think the role he is taking at the moment is a safe path - no more having to get 'approvals' ... like waiting for someone to cut out the 'smoking scene' or many other decisions which had to be ticked before being 'allowed' to go ahead with in the LOTR.

... and maybe that stems from wanting something more out of what he is doing? What do you do with the sequel after you and your team won every little gold statue on offer after making such a phenominal monsterous winning success such as Lord of The Rings to start with? How do you top that? How do you find substance and meaning, inspiration, and be able to find a personal true assessment of yourself and your craft, beyond the expectations of others ... especially associated with the Hobbit ... where do you find it, where do you go? Since the LOTR he has not stopped ....he has made his own benchmark ... so high!
So in some way, the responsibility of the position he has taken with the Hobbit is about sharing the load a little - or spreading it out a bit more ... like self promotion ... maybe his aim is to move ahead in a new direction in this field ...

but I still see his name under the title: Director ...
If I had to wait until PJ found his groove, and found the light that he is looking for, what ever experience will come to do that, what ever new discovery he needs ... I will always believe there is hope of him directing - co-direction. I'd like to see Fran direct the Hobbit ... or a woman (not being bias - just my choice) and who knows, maybe some young guy with alot of energy, then again, maybe if there were delays in production Peter will jump in there and change his mind ... 2015? Bring it on.

Elven

So, where are we going?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.