Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
LOTR signs in NYC Subway

Kimtc
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 2:21pm

Post #1 of 22 (482 views)
Shortcut
LOTR signs in NYC Subway Can't Post

I don't know if anyone who lives in the NYC area has actually seen one of these--an anonymous artist is posting signs in the NY subway that look like regular signs, but are actually LOTR/TH related when you look closely. I like the cut of this guy's jib:

http://www.nytimes.com/...ml?emc=eta1&_r=0

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Jul 15 2013, 2:58pm)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 15 2013, 2:45pm

Post #2 of 22 (318 views)
Shortcut
more images [In reply to] Can't Post

http://puckworks.blogspot.com/2013_05_01_archive.html

can you imagine the geek thrill one would get finding one of those cards?

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 3:18pm

Post #3 of 22 (292 views)
Shortcut
Prints? [In reply to] Can't Post

He should sell prints of these. I'd buy a few.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 15 2013, 4:09pm

Post #4 of 22 (289 views)
Shortcut
I bet s/he can't [In reply to] Can't Post

...without butting up against copyright.

I think creative geeks just enjoy indulging in their geekdom, sometimes... without trying to make a profit off particular creative endeavors. There are too many hoops to jump through.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 4:34pm

Post #5 of 22 (272 views)
Shortcut
You are probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, but I can still dream.

It would also provide a link for the gov to track him/her. They seem hellbent on stopping him/her.

It's only because the cause of Tolkienlightenment has not spread far enough yet, that they want to stop it. The poor, unenlightened public is too confused by our awesomeness.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 5:52pm

Post #6 of 22 (274 views)
Shortcut
Tolkienlightenment [In reply to] Can't Post

Heart I love this word. Thank you so much for coining it! I shall have to find a way to work it into daily conversation now... Evil

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 6:19pm

Post #7 of 22 (274 views)
Shortcut
Tolkienlightenment [In reply to] Can't Post

I use it ALL the time.....though I have to explain it 99 times out of 100.

The 'en' in Tolkien, perfectly flows into 'enlightenment'. I was inspired by a forum signature, that had a cartoon of the Professor, and said "The perfect light shines from the Professor and his glorious works" Something like that. The creator of that sig. shares part in this creation, acting as midwife, as it were, to my thought.

We need t-shirts, or motivational buttons that say " Join the Cause. Bring about the Age of Tolkienlightenment!"

That, or some such mantra. I have not the power to effect it, though. Frown

No, not with (my) ten thousand bills, could I do this. It is folly.

The idea IS free for anyone to use. Credit would be appreciated though. Smile

(This post was edited by Rembrethil on Jul 15 2013, 6:26pm)

CuriousG
Valinor

Jul 15 2013, 7:24pm

Post #8 of 22 (250 views)
Shortcut
Speaking of subways [In reply to] Can't Post

The Boston subway has had signs advertising for a church with the Tolkien quote "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." I wonder how many other people have seen Tolkienlightenment used in advertisements?

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 9:06pm

Post #9 of 22 (241 views)
Shortcut
An oversight corrected. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just realized that I have not given a formal definition for Tolkienlightenment. So here it is

Tolkienlightenment -Noun-

The act of, or cause for, spreading knowledge and appreciation of J.R.R. Tolkien, his works, or ideas.

Examples:

1. Jonathon is an active supporter of Tolkienlightenment.

2. Tolkienlightenment is the goal of any society, seeking to increase the fan base.

Support the cause of Tolkienlightenment, Children of the Eldar, and Fathers of Men! This Night of ignorance shall pass!

Rostron2
Gondor

Jul 15 2013, 9:27pm

Post #10 of 22 (252 views)
Shortcut
Odd [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't make sense for half those signs to be in the subway. Central Park needs some.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 15 2013, 9:47pm

Post #11 of 22 (242 views)
Shortcut
Ah, that would be [In reply to] Can't Post

Noel Q. Von Schneiffel with that saintly footer!

I wonder where he is? He hasn't posted since last November...

"Tolkienlightenment". Awesome. I wonder if that should be placed in the TORn dictionary! Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Tolkieniteforever

Jul 16 2013, 1:04am

Post #12 of 22 (232 views)
Shortcut
Those posters… wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my. Those signs should be elsewhere in the world too! I know for certain if I found those in my hometown I would freak with excitement.

I almost wish I could travel to NYC to see them… they must put a smile on any Ringer's face.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 16 2013, 9:39am

Post #13 of 22 (194 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is GREAT! Oh geez.... I'd carry a jackhammer in my back pocket... just in case I saw one unprotected ;)

WOW!

4th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - May 1, 2013

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Telegraph

Jul 17 2013, 3:31am

Post #14 of 22 (173 views)
Shortcut
Ha [In reply to] Can't Post

That's pretty cool. That's directly in the spirit of that one dude who used to draw the super-primitive cartoon things all over NYC in the 80's-who died of Aids I think... Keith Haring. Suppose this is less politically driven, but I like the creativity in any case. Also, Tolkienlightenment is pretty awesome.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 17 2013, 3:37am

Post #15 of 22 (159 views)
Shortcut
*waves hi at Telegraph* [In reply to] Can't Post

welcome. It's good to see you here. :-)

Telegraph

Jul 17 2013, 3:48am

Post #16 of 22 (158 views)
Shortcut
:3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Thankee lady. I exist! But I probably won't post much. The length of a lot of the posts I see daunt me, and make me feel like I need to write an equally long post. I am reading impaired!

Cynicism is easy.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 17 2013, 4:37am

Post #17 of 22 (163 views)
Shortcut
You can say [In reply to] Can't Post

as much or as little as you like around here. Smile

elentari3018
Lorien

Jul 21 2013, 3:46am

Post #18 of 22 (111 views)
Shortcut
this is so funny!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in the City Shire but haven't seen them but this is sooooo cool!!! :D

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Puckworks

Jul 23 2013, 4:36pm

Post #19 of 22 (101 views)
Shortcut
Puck the artist says, "Hello." [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for posting and the kind words about my work. Follow my blog: http://puckworks.blogspot.com/ or twitter account: @puckworks for future updates. I might be selling pieces in the very soon. Just need to work out some more details. Would you fans like shirts to but too?

Cheers! - PUCK

(This post was edited by Puckworks on Jul 23 2013, 4:41pm)

Kimtc
Rohan

Jul 23 2013, 6:49pm

Post #20 of 22 (79 views)
Shortcut
You're welcome! What a great thing you did! [In reply to] Can't Post

If you can work it out, I'd love a shirt!

In Reply To
Thanks for posting and the kind words about my work. Follow my blog: http://puckworks.blogspot.com/ or twitter account: @puckworks for future updates. I might be selling pieces in the very soon. Just need to work out some more details. Would you fans like shirts to but too?

Cheers! - PUCK

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 23 2013, 7:28pm

Post #21 of 22 (76 views)
Shortcut
Awesome work Puck! [In reply to] Can't Post

Will follow for details!

Hope to see you around too! Welcome! AngelicCool

The first TORn Amateur Symposium starts this week in the Reading Room! Come and join in!

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2013, 8:49pm

Post #22 of 22 (103 views)
Shortcut
Ooh ooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I came up with another!

Whatcha-ma-hobbit(-noun-)- something that vaguely eeriness you of something Tolkien related, but for an unknown reason.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.