Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
More Notes from a small library - Goblin Feet

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2013, 5:23pm

Post #1 of 14 (295 views)
Shortcut
More Notes from a small library - Goblin Feet Can't Post

I'm hoping to get started a series of threads looking at various of Tolkien's writings - not all to do with Middle-earth - using my own collection as a basis. I'm glad to see my initial thread has gotten some interesting responses, and I'll be happy to carry on there, as long as folk wish.

But there's much more I'd like to talk about, so if no-one has any objections I'd like to start up some more, occassional, threads; each for a different book or group of books. In this thread i'd like to take a look at one of Tolkien's earliest published works, the poem Goblin Feet, first published in Oxford Poetry 1915.

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=11380

Ronald wrote the poem for Edith, because she liked 'pretty, fairy things'. But later in life he came to regret having it published, saying he wished the poor little thing had been stifled at birth'. Here's the first verse; see what you think?

I am off down the road
Where the fairy laterns glowed
And the little pretty flitter-mice are flying
A slender band of gray
It runs creepily away
And the hedges and the grasses are a-sighing.
The air is full of wings,
And of blundery beetle-things
That warn you with their whirring and their humming.
O! I hear the tiny horns
Of enchanted leprechauns
And the padded feet of many gnomes a-coming!

yes... don't call us, Mr. Tolkien - we'll call you!

Smile

(This post was edited by geordie on Jul 14 2013, 5:25pm)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2013, 5:29pm

Post #2 of 14 (164 views)
Shortcut
By the way - [In reply to] Can't Post

- as I have no photos of my own books, (and no idea of how to put photos up onto the net in any case), I shall be relying on photos off the net. The link I give above is to a very useful site run by a friend of mine - it has the added advantage of containing useful info.

Arandir
Gondor

Jul 14 2013, 7:01pm

Post #3 of 14 (150 views)
Shortcut
I love it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien may not have appreciate it later on in life but I find these "early" works as being the stepping stones for his grander work.

By looking at these texts, we may be able to understand the process that was involved into the creation of later works and how his writing eventually got refined and more expansive ...

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 14 2013, 8:42pm

Post #4 of 14 (151 views)
Shortcut
The edge of a card showing... [In reply to] Can't Post

...of just beginning to expose his 'world', is perhaps how one can look at it - considering his lifelong interest in old fairy-stories.

I like the reference to the road (a repeating metaphor) and his use of the word 'gnomes', the older naming of the Dwarves.

Its easy for us to look backwards and find it endearing and a romantic gesture, purely because JRRT wrote it! I can understand his feeling though, in the light of later criticisms of even his more serious works with the 'juvenile' stamp, that he might have wanted to hide under the desk a bit at the thought of "Goblin Feet" being referenced as an early piece.

I will say that the meter is very fun. Wink

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2013, 9:41pm

Post #5 of 14 (149 views)
Shortcut
I like the metre, too - [In reply to] Can't Post

- JRR did enjoy playing with that sort of thing.

And for all his dislike, others seem to have liked it - the poem was reprinted several times. Here's a list of the ones I have in my library -

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=11400

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=11420

http://www.tolkienbooks.net/php/details.php?reference=11440

The one with the illustration is fun - this is the first illustration of a work by Tolkien. Shame it's a bit... odd.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 14 2013, 11:44pm

Post #6 of 14 (128 views)
Shortcut
The picture of the ... shall we say sea-maidens? [In reply to] Can't Post

Its not a bad picture in itself - a trifle unexpected perhaps! Sly

Interesting color palette - it looks to be watercolor maybe (?) Thank you for putting this link up Geordie, I had never seen this (as I get the feeling from many things in your library!)

Coming soon!- The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

squire
Valinor

Jul 15 2013, 2:24am

Post #7 of 14 (128 views)
Shortcut
Is that illustration meant to be for 'Goblin Feet'? [In reply to] Can't Post

I took it to be a generic image of fairies disporting themselves in some never-never land, as would be appropriate for an anthology like that. Do you know more about it so as to say it's the first illustration of a Tolkien work?

I've never liked 'Goblin Feet' and share with Tolkien the wish that it had never been written. It's just plain bad. I appreciate that he had to start somewhere, but yow.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 15 2013, 6:17am

Post #8 of 14 (141 views)
Shortcut
Oops, my mistake - [In reply to] Can't Post

- that is a picture of the front of the dustwrapper. Each of the poems has its own picture - this is a link to the one for Goblin Feet -

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CIwH7s-yVyU/T4gSL-LyR8I/AAAAAAAAGjY/aQHa5S04-Co/s400/Goble%25252C%252BWarwick%252BGoblin%252BFeet.jpg&imgrefurl=http://dailywindowonaworldofwonder.blogspot.com/2012/04/goblin-feet-by-warwick-goble.html&h=1600&w=1003&sz=800&tbnid=zup6NTKPU73U7M:&tbnh=91&tbnw=57&zoom=1&usg=__nlymHQuC1MAqAwomefr-hnecfJE=&docid=tKYpe00gIRPw7M&sa=X&ei=JZPjUciZNObA0QXH04HgBw&ved=0CC8Q9QEwAA&dur=965

- ouch! Sorry about the looong URL ! Tongue

squire
Valinor

Jul 15 2013, 7:06pm

Post #9 of 14 (119 views)
Shortcut
Fascinating, captain [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that is quite good at capturing the poem - better than the poem, I'd even say, within the limits of the two works' respective genres.

Why do I have the funny feeling that the illustrator, listed as Warwick Goble, is actually Tinfang Warble working under a pseudonym?

Oooh, no, sorry Mr. Goble. I looked him up. He exists, that's his name, and he has quite a respectable career as an illustrator in his time.

So funny - because, after all, Tolkien in those years was obsessed with the town of Warwick. He thought of it as the real-world location of his Elven/fairy kingdom in England, as seen for instance in his November 1915 poem, 'Kortirion Among the Trees' -- Kortirion being a thinly-disguised image of Warwick. And here he gets his goblin/fairy poem in Oxford Poetry 1915, illustrated by a guy whose name is, practically speaking, "Warwick Goblin"!

And I used to think Tinfang Warble was a very silly name. Now I know better.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd (and NOW the 4th too!) TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 15 2013, 7:13pm

Post #10 of 14 (101 views)
Shortcut
Ah! That makes more sense for Goblin Feet! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a bit of an unusual pic I suppose...that grove of trees in the upper left looks oddly like a cerebral cortex. Very small scale, or very large snails about.

Thanks for posting the link. Smile

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2013, 12:23pm

Post #11 of 14 (76 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's a good one! // [In reply to] Can't Post

geordie
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2013, 12:29pm

Post #12 of 14 (84 views)
Shortcut
Edith wasn't alone in liking fairy things - [In reply to] Can't Post

- there seems to have been a fad for fairies towards the end of the Victorian era. Dimitra Fimi writes of this in her book, 'Tolkien, race and Cultural History'

Dimitra has a paper on-line here, which has as its title the first line from an early poem of Tolkien's - '

https://repository.cardiffmet.ac.uk/.../1/Fimi_31_05_06.pdf

Brethil
Half-elven

Jul 17 2013, 1:18am

Post #13 of 14 (64 views)
Shortcut
Read that piece you linked Geordie [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for the link Geordie. Very nice tracing of JRRT's ideas and their development. One gets little glimpses of things here and there that are a bit Middle Earth flavored, which is fun!
The 'Wood Sunshine' piece has a reference to 'fading'. (18) And in Goblin Feet he uses fading again - as the little creatures fade around the turn carrying their lamps (reminding me of the Elves departing for the Havens!) In "You and Me/The Cottage of Lost Play" he writes about 'dwellings in the trees' and this part - "Though long we looked, and high would climb, Or gaze from many a seaward shore, To find the path between sea and sky" sounds like a place on the Western shore of Beleriand to me.

As you say, Edith wasn't the only fairy fan. JRRT defends it in quite a few Letters, and relates it to cultural identity as well. A fairy story for a nation to 'grow up' with....

(Is that too fanciful?) Wink

noWizardme
Tol Eressea

Jul 17 2013, 1:01pm

Post #14 of 14 (59 views)
Shortcut
Tinfang Warble???? [In reply to] Can't Post

Convinced you were having a laugh and inserting the kind of made up name name that one normally only finds in Star Wars, I googled it and found you weren't. Shocked
Or if you are, it's a very carefully prepared laugh....

Disclaimers: The words of noWizardme may stand on their heads! I'm often wrong about things, and its fun to be taught more....

"nowimė I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.