Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Concerning Azog's markings

HoboVagabond

Jul 15 2013, 4:45am

Post #1 of 16 (877 views)
Shortcut
Concerning Azog's markings Can't Post

Where did they come from. Do you think it's possible they are bear claw marks?

The Mitch King
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 4:58am

Post #2 of 16 (485 views)
Shortcut
hmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

Bear claw marks would be interesting but I personally feel he gave himself AND his warg similar marks as a sign that he is a badass!

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 15 2013, 8:26am

Post #3 of 16 (398 views)
Shortcut
Bear [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you've stumbled onto something.

I noticed them but never put 2+2 together til you mentioned it.

I'd bet the farm they are bear claws, hence the animosity of beorn to Azog and Bolg I suspect will rear its ugly head in AUJ and TABA. Speculating how/why will be fruitless until we see the finished product, but I think you are right. Those marks are not there for show or self mutilation theres a story/plotline behind them.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 15 2013, 8:38am

Post #4 of 16 (395 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. It's Orc art... in a way [In reply to] Can't Post

If you look at them they're almost symmetric on both sides. Also his warg has almost the same markings. It's art... in a way. Orc Art. No bear (even Beorn) could be so artistically minded... after all why would he led Azog escape? That makes no sense. Whoever (and I think it was an "Orc artist" on Azogs behalf) did this invested a lot of time.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Bombadil
Half-elven

Jul 15 2013, 8:42am

Post #5 of 16 (375 views)
Shortcut
In the 3RD World this is called [In reply to] Can't Post

Ritual Scar-ology(sp.)...
A Ceremony
where he had his torso intentionally cut into...
Showing his Victory over Pain?
Many tribes do this.

Which is still practiced TODAY?
bomby

Yngwulff
Gondor

Jul 15 2013, 8:42am

Post #6 of 16 (376 views)
Shortcut
Bear claws [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes but not the ones on his chest they are bigger

The facial ones are stylistic self mutilation most likely after re looking at the pics .. but not the chest scar.

Theres something to this I can feel it and Beorn is involved somehow.

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 16 2013, 12:15am)

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Jul 15 2013, 9:40am

Post #7 of 16 (336 views)
Shortcut
They still belong to the others [In reply to] Can't Post

http://screencapped.net/...thehobbit-008942.jpg

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Jul 15 2013, 11:47am

Post #8 of 16 (316 views)
Shortcut
I hate these [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my biggest complaint about Azog. I think the character is interesting, but the scars being symmetrical makes it appear as if they're stretch marks.

MasterOrc
Rivendell

Jul 15 2013, 1:40pm

Post #9 of 16 (261 views)
Shortcut
Probaby using the same trainer as [In reply to] Can't Post

MLB baseball star Barry Bonds combined with multiple meals of HGH Tongue

t_bomb

Jul 15 2013, 1:54pm

Post #10 of 16 (261 views)
Shortcut
the pattern on his torso [In reply to] Can't Post

and arms always looked to me like the skin had split due to unnaturally accelerated growth. [I once met a guy who said that had happened to him as a teenager.]

When I look at Azog with this in mind, I appreciate the artistry of his design.

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Jul 15 2013, 2:09pm

Post #11 of 16 (245 views)
Shortcut
Ok, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I could buy the accelerated growth theory if they weren't on his face too.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Jul 15 2013, 5:42pm

Post #12 of 16 (202 views)
Shortcut
Pretty sure it says [In reply to] Can't Post

in the WETA Chronicles II book that he inflicted the scars on himself. I guess it really was to prove how tough he was, etc.

The question really is how he was able to make the scars symmetrical. That would seem a mite hard if he is right-handed or left-handed. My memory may not be working here at the moment, but methinks he used his mace with both his left and his right at different moments. If he's ambidextrous, I can buy his being able to cut himself symmetrically.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

DanielLB
Immortal

Jul 15 2013, 6:31pm

Post #13 of 16 (219 views)
Shortcut
According to Page 196 of the WETA Chronicles: Creatures and Characters... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Fran decided Azog should be hairless. He has self-inflicted scars all over him that all help make him look even nastier. Orcs go in for that kind of thing. He's very cool-looking and an interesting villain" - Eric Saindon, Weta Digital Visual Effects Supervisor

As already pointed out by Werde Spinner. Smile

Coming soon! The first TORn Amateur Symposium, starts Sunday 21st July in the Reading Room. Closing date for essay submission Sunday 14th July, but even if you don't submit, join us for some interesting discussion on some different and personal ways of looking at Tolkien's work.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Jul 15 2013, 6:36pm)

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Jul 15 2013, 7:37pm

Post #14 of 16 (168 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

At least we have the official story behind the scars now. Wish they weren't so symmetrical Frown

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 16 2013, 12:15am

Post #15 of 16 (126 views)
Shortcut
Oversized image removed. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2013, 12:46am

Post #16 of 16 (84 views)
Shortcut
It's an extreme form of self scarification... [In reply to] Can't Post

... he's a toughie Pirate

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.